Your ~max hunting distances and time of flight relationships?

Wrench

WKR
man you must have been in some major ethics battles, you don't have to defend it here, I'm totally on your side, I'm exactly same as you, thanks for the data
Please show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned ethics.

The lack of cartridge data was because I have dozens of rifles and don't break the above conditions.

Headstamp doesn't change the rule, just the time and distance. The critical numbers are in the dope.

so you're saying 800 is your upper limit, that's .65 g1 bc and 1.04 and .96 seconds tof on those two rigs, thanks man

also since you mentioned 600...that's .74 and .69 seconds tof in your rigs

who's next?
I’m surprised the difference is so small. It feels pretty noticable when shooting.

A shooter that can "feel" .08 seconds difference in time of flight in the field on live game has better spider sense than me. I'm not being derogatory, but that's damn near humanly impossible.

A shooter that can "feel" .08 seconds difference in time of flight in the field on live game has better spider sense than me. I'm not being derogatory, but that's damn near humanly impossible.
Well I can see it in the bullet trace and hear the difference when it impacts steel. I shoot these guns side by side on my home range. Haven’t done this on game but I can tell you 600 “feels” more like 500 with the faster cartridge. And I would say my confidence is higher because of it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Beautiful music performances by true artists are only beautiful because they masterfully lengthen or shorten each note. It is the tiniest fraction of second. Computer generated music based on the score sucks. Our brains are amazing.

ya I don't want to argue at all in this thread, I'll never get down on a guy who puts in what's necessary to push his gear to the limits...never, I've had that put on me for ages so lets not do that in this thread...ethics police don't bother, will get all over them and their high horses in a hurry

this is more to get as many guys as possible to post what their typical max ranges have become and to take a minute to look up their time of flight and post that as well just to see where most of us land and see if there's a trend or pattern here?
Time of flight comparison doesn’t have any value to me at all. Most long range shooters I know of look at the terminal velocity for bullet performance and wind drift which is the biggest unknown. Everything else might correlate to them, but those are the numbers that are worth comparing for rifles.

Ultimately, the BC and muzzle velocity are the two numbers that everything else flows from. 1800 fps is the only generic number limit I apply to MY rifles. I also run mostly really high BC bullets. The only specific number I apply is estimated wind speed to then determine margin of error.

My rifles demonstrate that TOF has nothing to do with my limitations. The BC and muzzle velocity is determining factor for .257 and above bullets. IMO, 6mm is just a little too light to hunt with at the same distances because of wind drift uncertainty, even though elevation adjustment might be the same.

180 VLD 7mm, 3050 fps 1.28 tof
133 elite hunter .257, 3100 fps 1.23 tof
95 VLD 6 mm 2900 fps .8 tof

OP
S
Please show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned ethics.

The lack of cartridge data was because I have dozens of rifles and don't break the above conditions.

Headstamp doesn't change the rule, just the time and distance. The critical numbers are in the dope.
not sure your angle, is this coming from a bias where you want to argue with me about something? I'll argue if you like but not sure what about yet or why lol, all good if you have too many rigs and too wide a range of limits for all of them to make useful for trend finding in this post...fine by me, whatever you can share is appreciated, I agree headstamps are meaningless in most ballistics discussions, we're on same page

OP
S
I’m surprised the difference is so small. It feels pretty noticable when shooting.
I ran your math at similar elevations to me, I think I used 26 in/hg...maybe you're at lower elevations and things a little slower and more noticeable?...the relationship/delta should be similar enough though. I'm thinking every 100 yards beyond where the football is coming down the other side of the arc will seem like a pretty big difference as you watch through the scope, .8 seconds doesn't sound like much but as the naked eye watches a bullet flight path... 0.2 seconds is further than the small number would suggest. In all reality most of us are killing in under half second time of flights which will feel a lot more immediate...I'm looking for trends in our game that we maybe haven't noticed before. I have this feeling a lot of us, inadvertently, have matched our typical max ideal conditions hunting ranges in the ~3/4 second tof range. The more data we get here the more we may see if that's true? We know there's lots of more elite shooters here also so we should see a second trend and it's looking like ~1 second tof's are routine for some here so far.

Keep it coming guys, I know none of us likely considered tof in our set-ups or experiences that led us to the gear we may currently run. I get that. I'm just curious if there's a correlation or relationship we just hadn't noticed before?

OP
S
Please share your expertise. Pics would be great for clarification.
ok this is making more sense, you're fishing here as you want to get into something with me, don't worry, there will be plenty of threads I'm sure you can argue with me about whatever or measure our weenies but this isn't the one, patience, you'll get your chance, I just moved a trailer full of heads into a new place...maybe you can come hang them with me instead and it could answer some of those questions for you? my procrastination in hanging them has me here playing instead ;)

OP
S
I don't think anyone would argue that. The point of the data isn't to try and use TOF as a measure in figuring out our rigs...we've all come up with different methods. I'm looking for a possible trend or relationship here as just another 40,000' view perspective on these things we do. Why do most of us quit around 600 on big game with bang sticks and why is it 60-70 yards in archery...they have similar TOF's....coincidence? To sending it on live critters? This isn't an argument thread, this is just a possible new look thread? As we get more data we may see some relationships or trends...we may not. Lets not treat this as an argument thread...not yet anyway. Have I conditioned the forum to bias me as just someone to get into it with? Don't answer that lol...relax guys, this isn't the angle here, this is genuine curiosity and discussion only.

OP
S
Well I can see it in the bullet trace and hear the difference when it impacts steel. I shoot these guns side by side on my home range. Haven’t done this on game but I can tell you 600 “feels” more like 500 with the faster cartridge. And I would say my confidence is higher because of it.
This is sort of where I'm going with this. I've moved to a slow ass 6.5 Grendel...my out limit has of course reduced in terms of distance as compared to my previous rigs. The interesting part however is the TOF is about the same. So I'm down to 500 yards and 3/4's of a second now and ran as high as 650 yards with similar TOF's burning a lot more powder previously. A couple rigs I was comfortable with to 700 and 800 just about any ole time ran into the 1 second range but most of them seem to be in the 3/4 second and 600 yard range.

Just to repeat, this isn't a thread to choose new measures to consider for selection reasons etc. It's still best to base your decisions around the bullet you choose and how far you can drive it well inside it's desired impact velocity ranges. This is just to see if there's a relationship/trend in TOF as it relates to hunting that we also seem to inadvertently bump up against on the norm?

OP
S
Beautiful music performances by true artists are only beautiful because they masterfully lengthen or shorten each note. It is the tiniest fraction of second. Computer generated music based on the score sucks. Our brains are amazing.

Time of flight comparison doesn’t have any value to me at all. Most long range shooters I know of look at the terminal velocity for bullet performance and wind drift which is the biggest unknown. Everything else might correlate to them, but those are the numbers that are worth comparing for rifles.

Ultimately, the BC and muzzle velocity are the two numbers that everything else flows from. 1800 fps is the only generic number limit I apply to MY rifles. I also run mostly really high BC bullets. The only specific number I apply is estimated wind speed to then determine margin of error.

My rifles demonstrate that TOF has nothing to do with my limitations. The BC and muzzle velocity is determining factor for .257 and above bullets. IMO, 6mm is just a little too light to hunt with at the same distances because of wind drift uncertainty, even though elevation adjustment might be the same.

180 VLD 7mm, 3050 fps 1.28 tof
133 elite hunter .257, 3100 fps 1.23 tof
95 VLD 6 mm 2900 fps .8 tof
Agree and you definitely take the highest performing gear and push it further than most. I never used tof as a measure to select what I do but now that I'm noticing relationships/trends from a lifetime of bowhunting/rifle hunting big game...it's one I'll definitely peek at more for curiosity sake, it won't make a difference to my choices, it's just a curiosity thing at this point. For most of us the smart play is base our choices and limitations around the bullet first and then how far we can drive it under most conditions.

Thanks for the data, you're the tof champ right now lol ;)

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't think anyone would argue that. The point of the data isn't to try and use TOF as a measure in figuring out our rigs...we've all come up with different methods. I'm looking for a possible trend or relationship here as just another 40,000' view perspective on these things we do. Why do most of us quit around 600 on big game with bang sticks and why is it 60-70 yards in archery...they have similar TOF's....coincidence? To sending it on live critters? This isn't an argument thread, this is just a possible new look thread? As we get more data we may see some relationships or trends...we may not. Lets not treat this as an argument thread...not yet anyway. Have I conditioned the forum to bias me as just someone to get into it with? Don't answer that lol...relax guys, this isn't the angle here, this is genuine curiosity and discussion only.

I will absolutely argue it, and I can "feel" the difference between shooting a 6.5 creedmoor vs my 7 ss. When you have watched long range shots behind glass and practiced, your brain learns to "see" it. I can't tell you whether it was .9 or 1.2 seconds, but is perceptible.

I get it though, I would have argued that a person couldn't shoot and see their own bullet flying to the target in any circumstance, but I can. Its the same with a baseball player who can see the seams of a baseball pitch. And, people with "perfect pitch" can tell you the exact note and frequency in music.

Our brain has the ability to process an image flashed to our eyes for 13 milliseconds. That is a frame rate of 75 per second. So, for my TOF of 1.25 seconds, science demonstrates that a trained eye and brain can process 100 different frames.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the data, you're the tof champ right now lol ;)
To clarify, the TOF is to 1800 fps. I added the max distance to the numbers based on terminal velocity.

1000 yards: 180 VLD 7mm, 3050 fps 1.28 tof
1000 yards: 133 elite hunter .257, 3100 fps 1.23 tof
600 yards: 95 VLD 6 mm 2900 fps .8 tof

The BC on the 95 VLD is much lower and velocity is lower, but that is my lightweight, "short" range, easy pointing rifle.

OP
S
I will absolutely argue it, and I can "feel" the difference between shooting a 6.5 creedmoor vs my 7 ss. When you have watched long range shots behind glass and practiced, your brain learns to "see" it. I can't tell you whether it was .9 or 1.2 seconds, but is perceptible.

I get it though, I would have argued that a person couldn't shoot and see their own bullet flying to the target in any circumstance, but I can. Its the same with a baseball player who can see the seams of a baseball pitch. And, people with "perfect pitch" can tell you the exact note and frequency in music.

Our brain has the ability to process an image flashed to our eyes for 13 milliseconds. That is a frame rate of 75 per second. So, for my TOF of 1.25 seconds, science demonstrates that a trained eye and brain can process 100 different frames.

it's probably too soon to add the value of this in the discussion, I'm with you, I agree tof is a factor maybe not looked at enough but we also have the tools and tech to make it largely irrelevant in placing shots by a qualified driver who's good with his choice, the difference of .2 second tof is very very observable, while looking at the number itself you wouldn't think so, start banging steel past 400 and you'll see it plenty, we're not steering this into an argument thread just yet however, lets not find a reason to, lets get as much data and participation as we can first

as an aside, the kids and I were observing in the right lighting conditions across a small valley this at 300-420 yards this fall on whitetails for the freezer as the sun light up our bullets like little copper pennies, reminded me of watching pellets fly, we watched our bullets all the way into the deer, it was pretty cool, we are shooting slow 6.5 grendel launching 123 eld-m at only 2386 so for most cartridges this would be similar time of flight and observation of 500+ yard shots

OP
S
To clarify, the TOF is to 1800 fps. I added the max distance to the numbers based on terminal velocity.

1000 yards: 180 VLD 7mm, 3050 fps 1.28 tof
1000 yards: 133 elite hunter .257, 3100 fps 1.23 tof
600 yards: 95 VLD 6 mm 2900 fps .8 tof

The BC on the 95 VLD is much lower and velocity is lower, but that is my lightweight, "short" range, easy pointing rifle.
so is your outer limit hunting distances the same as what you've presented? or do you shorten it up for one reason or another? what are your rules of thumb for hunting with those options then? no need for explanations, we can certainly discuss as well but no need, just trying for certain data fields here in finding where most guys tend to have a distance limit for hunting even though all our gear can generally go well beyond where we call it quits

so is your outer limit hunting distances the same as what you've presented? or do you shorten it up for one reason or another? what are your rules of thumb for hunting with those options then? no need for explanations, we can certainly discuss as well but no need, just trying for certain data fields here in finding where most guys tend to have a distance limit for hunting even though all our gear can generally go well beyond where we call it quits

For me personally, my maximum shooting distance limit on big game is 600 (+/-) yards, MAX! I've only once tried a shot that far, although all rifles can certainly do it on their own if they knew how to sight and fire themselves (lol).

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tell guys that ask me to help them build a rifle that long range is simple cause I can take you out right now and have you hitting 1000 yard targets with my rifle. But all the stuff I did before that is complicated. If they want to know more, I usually walk them through this advice so they know what I expect if they want my help. Long range isn't happening unless you put in the time to prepare, learn and practice. You can't buy your way into it with a rangefinder and custom turrets. But they have to spend enough money to buy the necessary gear. My first long range rifle only cost me $800 dollars. I was shooting factory Hornady and Federal match ammo. I printed sub MOA groups at 1000 yards at a long range class with Evolved Ballistics with it to the chagrin of the guys shooting Proof rifles with hand loads that couldn't hit the target, lol. The rifle was a cheap Savage on sale with rebate and the scope a fixed SWFA. My current rifle is wayyyy more than that. Everything I have is way more expensive than what I had then. Heck, my bipod right now cost 2x more than the rifle. It isn't necessary, but the gear I have increases opportunities and decreases uncertainty.

My outermost limit is the acceptable 1800 fps for terminal velocity of the Berger bullets I shoot. That is as far as the rifle is "capable" to kill, cause it is actually the bullet that kills. There are other constraints and limitations depending on the specific circumstances, of course. My skill isn't the limitation though, I push my gear to its limits and have 100% confidence in it. Of course, I chose my gear and practiced with it. I do have to say that in competitions like NRL hunter, I am at best a middle of the road contender, but I would never hurry myself like the competitions on a hunt. I know my limitations, and operating in them I have 100% confidence. I just don't even consider it an "opportunity" until my confidence level is high enough in the situation. So, my "max" range obviously has other functional limitations.

For example, on my 6mm BRA rifle, the TOF is shorter just because of the lower MV and BC that puts the bullet at 1800 fps sooner. When I built the rifle, I picked the furthest I would shoot and then built to perform that far. I will shoot pretty much any animal with it as long as terminal velocity is 1800 fps. Yes, I would shoot an elk with it, just find the epic thread on the 77 grain tipped Sierra match kings if you wonder why. If I wanted to take my 26" 6mm XC loaded with 115 DTACS at over 3000 fps, my limit with that 6mm would approach 1000 yards and the 1+ second time of flight. But, the lighter bullet weight increases wind drift even though elevation calls are pretty much the same as the 7mm. So, I won't shoot a 6mm that is exposed to the wind that long due to wind deflection as a variable. It is the same reason I won't consider something like a .308 bullet in 180 grain, even it if it shot at 3100 fps, the BC is too low so TOF increases and wind deflection increases.

Time. If an animal is walking across an opening, I may break out my gear immediately so as to not waste time if it stops. But, I am not gonna try to rush a shot on a pause. I am also constantly watching, feeling wind, and gathering data to feel out a wind call out of habit. But I won't shoot until I have had adequate time to confidently range the animal, get a good wind call, and build a solid position adequately tested with dry fire. I can do it rather quickly, but won't press the trigger without confidence or in a hurry. On my Sitka deer in Alaska, after I decided to shoot and we had hiked into as close a position as I thought necessary. We were on one side of a mountain shooting across to the other side. I spent probably at least 25 minutes getting my breath, building my position, watching wind, dry firing, and even pulled my bolt to confirm I didn't have anything in the bore, lol. I would have waited longer for him to stand up and present a broadside shot, but when you know, you know. For my Coues deer, I hiked across a couple fingers closing the distance from 1300, to 1000, to 700ish, to finally 540 yards. It took more than an hour to cross all that rough steep country. I didn't have time to waste because it was getting to the end of shooting light and available light to get to him and process to pack him out. I set up and shot him in less than five minutes from the time I dropped my pack. I already had my wind call, and I spent the most time catching my breath and dryfiring to make sure I could break a clean shot.

Sectional density. There is something about the weight and SD of the 7mm 180 vld that is a sweet spot for external ballistics and terminal ballistics.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bullet size/BC. Pick a .257, a 6.5, a 7mm, or a .308 caliber. All of them can kill to 1000 yards with the high BC bullets. The .257 is the lightest at about 130-135 grains, but that is definitely enough if you put it in the boiler room behind the shoulder. The difference comes in wind deflection, heavier bullets deflect less in the same wind. I won't go above 180 VLD in 7mm because it is the maximum recoil I am willing to put into my shooting system. Increasing recoil in field conditions decreases my ability to control recoil to spot shots and control the recoil while the barrel is in the bore which does affect group size. It is diminishing returns, because I would need to shoot 235 grain 308 bullets in something even bigger than a Win Mag in order to get the velocity needed to match the external ballistics of the 180 vld in 7mm. That is why a 7mm magnum shooting 180 VLD is superior IMO to typical 300 win mag and 300 PRC loads. At the 230+ grain .308 bullets with all that powder puts recoil beyond what I am comfortable with reliable and consistent shooting. (I won't shoot anything but suppressed and won't carry a heavy rifle).

Velocity. A high BC hunting bullet pushed between 2900 fps and 3100 fps is a sweet spot for loading, recoil, barrel life, ES, etc. Elevation dope is the same for bullets regardless of weight if the BC and the velocity is the same. Wind deflection is greater on the lighter bullets over the same TOF.

Short mag. There is also something about the bullet weight to powder ratio that makes it easier to load for and keep low ES (extreme velocity spread). The higher the ES, the larger the vertical spread will be at 1000 yards. It is pretty well known by a lot of shooters that short fat cartridges are easy to load for and have very consistent performance. 6BR/BRA/Dasher, 7 saum, 300 short mag, Sherman Short mags and Sherman Short Tactical, etc. I ran 6-7 grains less powder and shot 180 vlds at 2970 out of my 7 SS than shooting the same bullet at 2950 out of my 7 rem mag with more powder. The difference in powder makes them more efficient and so much easier to load for, and more consistent groups.

Wind Drift. In good wind conditions, the wind deflection of the 180 gives me a margin of error that is small enough out to 1000 for easy to call wind conditions. My 25 SS is still getting built, but the dope comes out really similar. A 6.5 PRC with high BC bullets can do the same thing, and with a little less recoil it is a fantastic choice. To get less wind drift than the 170 VLD I would need to get a heavier bullet at the same velocity, and that puts me back into the 235ish .308 bullets. I won't argue .308 can't be ballistically better, and doesn't whomp critters better, it can and it does. My argument is the recoil isn't worth it to me because any increase in precision/accuracy by a bigger bullet going faster is offset by the recoil that makes shooting it harder for the vast majority of guys. A lot of you dudes shooting RUM and saying you don't feel recoil, I am just not buying the machismo. The handful of guys running RUM that I have hunted with get worked by the recoil. I have seen guys who manage it, but they are serious dudes and have exceptional shooting form and recoil management. They also have a little more weight in them for that reason.

Shooting position. I prefer and practice shooting off my tripod. I can shoot my off my tripod in field conditions pretty much as well as prone off a bipod. Consequently, if I can sit down and get three legs of my tripod on the ground, I can shoot confidently to 1000. I actually like sitting on the slope of a mountain with my feet below me, because of the configuration of the tripod and how I build my position. That is pretty common for hunting in AZ like I do. I also don't like lying down if I could find a spot cause there is invariably cactus, lol. Standing off a tripod, I am confident to 500. But, I think with my new tripod and rifle configuration I could push it out further. If you don't practice in the field with a tripod, then stick with a bipod and rear bag for long range, with shooting sticks for intermediate distances.

Kill Zone. There are limitations on distance I will shoot depending on size of kill zone. An elk is large enough that I will shoot all the way to 1000 yards and the 1800 fps limit of my 7mm. But, a Coues deer vitals aren't big enough to absorb the known group size and the unknown confounding factors for DOPE. For instance, on the range, I can consistently shoot an 8-10 inch group with my 7 ss in no wind or limited wind situation, and first round impacts as well. (It doesn't count if you shoot a small group but miss your first or first few shots.) When factoring in the wind call on top of that, then the acceptable range reduces as the wind increases. In a 7 mph wind, my 7mm 180 vld deflects .1 mil for every hundred yards. So, out to 1000 yards, a 7 mph wind will drift it .7 mil. If I call wind at 10 mph but miss the wind call by 2 mph, then that would be about .2 mil additional error. Lets say my group size is already .2 mil at 1000 yards, add on bad wind of .2 mil and at the extremes that means I could miss left by .4 mil. At 1000 yards, a 1.0 mil target is 36 inches and .1 mil is 3.6 inches. So, the .4 mil error is 14.4" at 1000 yards. That's why elk are on the menu at 1000 yards, but Coues deer really can't be.

Don't be a hero. I can usually close distance, and I will shoot to 1000 yards only if the terrain limits me. I will always get as close as I can down to 500 yards. I usually stop and take the shot while the option presents itself if I get to 500 yards. I don't really need to get closer for complete confidence. When I can shoot a 4 inch group on a rock at 500 yards from a field position and my first impact is center of the group, I see no reason not to pull the trigger as soon as I can set up at 500. Shooting suppressed, I actually feel like I would have more opportunities at 500 if I were to make a bad shot because game just don't react to the shots. Strangely, I have more confidence at 500 yards than shooting offhand at 100 yards. That comment makes me realize I just need to practice offhand shots more, lol.

That pretty well captures what I think about long range. And, it probably confirms you all think I overanalyze stuff, which I do. All of that doesn't mean anything if I didn't do the work with my gear practicing and dialing in the gear I chose. I have my rifle doped, data trued, and range proven to 1000, I have redundant ballistic calculators, I understand everything about my technical gear, I have 100% confidence in my rangefinder (and that I accurately ranged the animal and not a tree in front or behind), I don't let my ammo get too hot or too cold in the field, I load my ammo to spec and tested with low ES, I keep my rifle system and tripod in operating condition, I only use the same quality scope and reticle that won't crap out on me, I test and confirm bolts are torqued and haven't moved on the rifle, I keep the barrel appropriately cleaned and fouled, I have a shooting checklist that is natural to build my position and operate my rifle so I don't forget to dial my dope or leave dope dialed on, and more. If you can do that or more, you too can be a long range hero.