Your most haunting or embarrassing missed shots.

I recently read a article put out by the meateater crew titled "Meateaters most haunting missed shots" a good read I'd suggest checking it out. After reading the article it got me thinking about some of my most embarrassing missed shots I've had (not a topic I like to think about often) and one particular hunt came to mind I'd be willing to share. Before I divulge my story I'd be curious to hear everyones funny stories and experiences on this topic, as for all you Wyatt Earp's out there who have a impeccable shooting record I guess this thread isn't for you, but for all us normal guys let's hear some stories.

It was late November me and my dad had drawn late season cow elk tags that year and not being able to hunt any other big game that year I was a overly excited 17 year old kid with high hopes. That opening morning was uneventful with no elk seen so we decided to drive to another spot late that morning. While driving down a old logging road I was cleaning my little 22 revolver that I carry for cotton tails, I had dropped it in the snow and mud and had all the little parts disassembled on my lap (not the best time to do that) along with my Ipod. Just as we rounded a corner right in front of us 250 yards away was a hillside with two cows feeding broadside that didn't seem to care we were there. Buckfever instantly took over as I opened up the door and flew out of the truck with my rifle Into the snow.....along with everything else on my lap, I never did find those gun parts or my ipod.

We quickly scrambled up over a burm off the road that put us 200 yards away, my dad told me to take the first shot so I leaned against a tree and let her bang. The first shot sent the cows running for the cover following another shot from me and one from my dad. Long story short and a even longer tracking job turned up no blood and a clean miss. I was angry and felt sorry for myself for blowing a opportunity like that, in hind site the only one to feel bad for in this story is my dad who had to listen to me complain and whine about it the rest of the trip.

The following morning found my dad stuck at camp working on the truck we couldnt get to start. All my ambition to hunt was gone and I was ready to go home, my dad encouraged me to hike to a ledge that overlooked a field with scattered pines about half mile from camp. As I got to the top of the ledge later that morning I saw a half dozen cows milling amongst the pines not 300 yards off. I leaned my rifle across my pack at a broad side cow, I was so focused on looking through that scope that as I touched her off I scoped myself above the eye. After another check in the snow showed I shot high and the only blood I saw that day was the cut above my brow. The ride home was left with me pondering how I blew not one but two golden opportunities on two elk that both should have been deader than disco, I left on that mountain a few things I didn't care to part with and confidence in my shooting ability was one of them.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
haha this should be a fun topic can’t wait to hear people’s stories. So here’s my 2. The only plus side is both of these misses I ended up still filling my tag. However the 1st one hurts because to this day is still the biggest deer I’ve ever seen on the hoof.

1. I was about 15 or 16 archery hunting on my families private property. Long story short I was walking a trail coming out of some brush and seen 3 giant mule deer 30 yards away in the clearing. Behind a barbed wire fence, same property just sectioned off for cattle (and I had permission to be theee btw) I Draw my bow back and get on the biggest one which was also the closest to me. And let an arrow fly the arrow was going perfect then shot straight up in the air halfway there and I realize my arrow hit the barbed wire fence. And all 3 bucks took off. To this day that’s the biggest deer I’ve seen on the hoof. Another guy that hunts the property ended up getting him later that year he was a 4x5 with a 29” spread. (This is in California btw bucks like that aren’t behind every bush lol)

2. SECond one is painful just because the deer was so close and I still have no
Idea how I missed. My brother and I were walking a trail and he stops saying he sees a buck so I tell him “well shoot it” he gets on it and I’m telling him shoot it and he takes forever and I’m telling him Shoot before I do and he finally shoots his deer drops so we’re both excited and all of the Sudden another buck pops up running 30 yards away running toward us. So I get on and The deer stops and I shoot and he turned at the same time
And I missed him from probably 20 yards away with a rifle. Only thing that makes this ok
Is the next Weekend I shot the biggest deer That I’ve ever killed

dtrkyman

WKR
I missed three Bulls in 6 days in Montana, been several years ago and it is still hard to say! Crazy thing is I was not all shook up and nervous, I know I rushed one of the shots but no panic or anything crazy...UGGG!!!

EastMT

WKR
In Nebraska bow hunting, zero cover where this buck was hanging. Get all grass camo’d up and sit down cross legged in the 2-3’ grass, start lightly calling. He comes running in about 3 sec flat, stops at 10 yards staring at my head. After a bit I decide I can’t shoot if I don’t pick my bow up, so I slowly raise it, he keeps staring. I settle it just right, squeeze er off. Bottom cam was apparently right on my knee, right over his back. I had a shorter bow the next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
What a good thread this will be! This story is from this year and I actually ended up harvesting this deer but it’s still a tough on to bite off.

I was backcountry archery deer hunting and on day six I watched one of my target bucks bed in the shade of a 20’ cliff only a mile away. “Perfect!!” I thought to myself about how badly I have always wanted to shoot a buck with my bow on such a steep down hill cliff shot. I used to play it through my head and try and create the shot when practicing. (I have been known to use a ladder and shoot off my roof, my neighbors hate me). After closing most of the distance I dumped my gear and boots and began the stalk, wind was perfect, ground was mostly soft “perfect” I told myself again.

I finally get on top of the cliff right where I wanted and could see his fuzzy antler tips facing away from me. “Perfect” again. BOOM adrenaline spikes! I come to full draw and make a slight noise to get the buck to stand... nothing... I make another noise... nothing... I get louder... nothing... I must have been at full draw for a minute and with each second my heart beat gets faster. Finally I pull my head off my peep and loudly say “hey!” He stands up and my mind just completely shuts down it was a true cluster ****. I punch the trigger and miss by feet, at 16 yards! As I watch the buck disappear I realize I didn’t even use my peep!!!! 😂😂 I was later able to kill the buck at 18 yards.

Man, I’ve had a few hard misses and a few embarrassing misses. I am relatively new to hunting. I’m going on to my fourth year hunting. I’ve yet to harvest my first animal. I’ve only been bow hunting these past few years. I’ve learned A LOT of hard but valuable lessons in those years. I am excited to have some rifle and muzzleloader tags this year so fingers crossed I can get it done. 🤞🏼 Forward to my embarrassing miss...
My second year hunting I had the opportunity to put some awesome stalks on with my husband. After having so many close encounters with mule deer mixed with the adrenaline of having a chance at my first harvest.. my excitement was through the roof. After an exciting afternoon of stalks, we started to lose light but spotted a trio of bucks across a canyon. We knew we didn’t have much time so we ran to our truck, jumped in, and started heading towards the deer. After getting where we wanted to be, we threw the truck in park and jumped out. My husband and I ran full speed down a canyon to attempt a stalk. At this time we were just about out of light, so we ran faster. As I was running my favorite hunting hat flew off. As we got closer my husband started coaching me. “He’s just around the corner, nock an arrow and be ready.” As we stalked closer to the deer I could see three bucks standing broadside. I was trembling with excitement. My husband ranged the deer at 45 yards. The bucks were all standing broadside. I quickly drew my bow and picked the middle buck to shoot at. Time felt like it was going both warp speed and slow motion at the same time. As I was shooting it felt like I was aiming forever and that the deer would move at any moment. I took my shot and waited for the infamous crushed watermelon sound. Nothing. Bewildered I looked at my husband and he said, “Hurry! Shoot again!” Once again I drew my bow and shot. Absolutely nothing. Not a damn thing. The deer hadn’t moved an inch between shots. In hindsight it was their lucky day! The bucks busted and we laughed, joked, and hiked our way back to our truck. (I even found my favorite hat.) Come to find out my shots came immediately after hitting my back wall. I did not aim long at all! If at all, haha! I missed at least a foot high both times!
Just when you thought it couldn’t get anymore embarrassing.. think again. As we get back to the truck we ran into one of my husbands buddies and his son. (I went to high school with the buddies son, and even attended a school dance with him.) Come to find out, they were glassing the bucks from a ridge and watched me miss a buck not once, but twice, haha! It was embarrassing at the time, but when I look back at laugh at the experience. I’m glad I had it and had the opportunity to learn something!

Mosby

WKR
I haven't missed often but they were painful when I did. One was a very large whitetail. I do not like to think about them at all. It affects confidence and I don't want negative thoughts creeping in before I pull the trigger on another animal.

TheCougar

WKR
Okay, I’ll play along.

1. I was stalking a small mule deer in August in AZ in a burn. I end up seeing the velvet tips of a bedded 4x4 enroute and I sneak to 33 yards. Better lucky than good, as I was just trudging up the hill when I spotted the buck. I patiently wait for him to stand up. When he does, he takes about a dozen steps quartering away, and for each step, I add a yard (on a 30 degree incline). Turns out, when you add the quartering away, plus the incline, plus the fact that a deer doesn’t walk 3’ for every step, I shot right over his back. I shot for 45, he was at 38, and the hold would have been for 35, based on the incline. He ran out of my life forever, and I “ground tuned” my bow and smashed things on the hillside - a genuine hissy fit. That’s the biggest deer I have ever shot at.
2. This one is stupid, but it is the first turkey I ever called in. I out-hunted several other hunters to get this bird. He came in on a string. He got to 45 yards, and this being my first bird, I opted to dump him there, rather than wait for him to get closer or something to go sideways. Keep in mind, I’m shooting 3 1/2 Hevi Shot, 4/5/6, with a perfect shot from a patterned gun at 45 yards. That bird is D-E-A-D. I shoot, he rolls and tumbles and flaps. I’m watching him and internally celebrating when he stands up and runs, then flies off. I’m dumbfounded. It still haunts me. Now, when I shoot turkey, I’m like an Effing SWAT team. I shoot, then I sprint right at the bird ready to take follow up shots and /or grab the bird with my bare hands if necessary. No more chances.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Last year the boy and I were out in Mont. hunting and we hunt in pairs.
These two bucks come walking along minding their own business and we pick the animal we wanted his on the left mine on the right, we count and pull the triggers his goes down mine is running as my rifle didn't have a round in the chamber. LOL HEHEHE
No, I don't think the boys are going to let me forget that and I think they'll always be right about it. Not telling them that though.
Have a good hunt!!!
Hhardrock

NV HUNTER

WKR
2017 Nevada bull elk...........

Scouted 17 days. Had 2 bulls 375+ tied to trees waiting for me. I could not hunt until the 3rd day of the season. I get to camp late on Wednesday. Up early and get to bull #1 at about 3:30 am . Spot him at about 3 miles in. Load up packs and off we head.

We get to a ledge over looking where we last saw the bull. We drop our packs and wait. 6 long cold windy hours later I spot the bull in a different patch of trees. Range him at 652 yards. As I am getting set up the bull literally runs across the small opening and stops about 5 yards before disappearing in the timber. I have a good rest, pull the trigger. My spotter says I hit him high....maybe neck or face, bull disappeared into timber. We pack up and hike down to the area bull was. We do need t find anything. We spot the bull and he is running for his life . Later we watch video of the shot and it appeared that the bullet hit a branch and deflected the bullet.

Spent 7 days trying to turn up that bull and bull #2. Nothing. Last day I killed a 320 bull. I think about that big bull all the time. And to top it off the company I work for decided to clean se down 4 days after I returned from the hunt!!!

2018 Archery Elk
My 3rd year archery elk hunting and have yet to punch a tag. I was nearing the end of my trip and gave up on my bull only area and moved to a cow/spike unit to hopefully increase my chances. Got above a herd with three bulls bugling on my next to last morning. They were working up a fence line directly at me. I had a solid cross wind and plenty of time to pick a spot to set up. 100 yards before they get to me they start to veer off (later found out there was an open gate there everything funneled through). Thinking my opportunity had passed I let out a couple mews. Seconds later 3 elk came running to me. 2 spikes and a cow, perfect. As I drew they stopped at 25 yards. The cow was the only one broadside so I let her rip. I don't really remember aiming and ended up center punching her. That was at 8am. Spent from 11 till dark looking and never found her. Very slight blood trail and guts on arrow. Spent the entire summer before shooting out to 80 yards and 'missed' at 25 yards.
2018 Florida Muzzleloader
Hunting public land WMA for whitetail. First time hunting this area and was a little late getting up the tree after a four mile bike ride in. It was starting to turn light just as I settled into the stand and I hear deer behind me, almost right under me. Slowly turned my head around to see several does and what I thought was a rack buck. Slowly get the gun up and scope on him. Barely enough light to count points (had to be 3 on a side). Determined he was legal so as soon as he turned I let him have it. Started to reload and realized I left the reloads in the truck! Climbed down, 4 miles back to truck and 4 miles back to stand to start looking. No blood, just white hair. Not sure how I missed since he was inside of 50 yards. Thinking the scope had to be off I shot it at lunch and it was still on. The next morning I was in the same spot, slightly different tree. 9 am had a buck come in solo. Double lunged him and got to watch him fall. When I get to him he has a fresh cut right at the bottom of his brisket. Same buck as the morning before!

I was in Alabama sitting in a quad pod on the highest ridge over a clear cut. This was probably in 2008 or so.
Just a great cold crisp morning with blue skies.
The best buck I had ever seen came out 275 yards and just stood there in the wide open. It was during that Encore craze and of course I had to have one with a 270 barrel on it. I had it that morning instead of my trusty old Ruger tanger in 3006 that I had been shooting for two decades.
I aimed at the buck but never did get comfortable. I fired off a round and he never even raised his head. So I fired off another. This time he looked up but still didnt move much. I fired again. His time he had located the noise and maybe saw me up on the ridge. He got the heck out of there.

I decided to get down and walk over to look for blood as I just could not believe I had missed him completely and didnt want to take the chance of
Not checking.

There was no blood and I got into the mud up to my calves. By the time I got back to the atv I was exhausted and muddy head to toe.
All these years later I still think about that buck and if I had chose my ruger that morning instead of that Encore contraption if I would have got that buck.

xcutter

WKR
Had lots of messed up opportunities but here's a couple at the top of my list.

First time Whitetail hunting in Indiana. Me and my Dad scout out a spot on a friends farm. Spot is a small ridge tore up with scrapes and big rubs. Didn't have a treestand so my Dad sets up a platform ladder that is 6 feet off the ground tied to double base Popular tree. We walk to the ladder in the dark opening morning of shotgun season and he puts me in the ladder and goes a couple of hollers over from me. So I'm sitting there and shots ringing in the distance from adjoining properties and I hear something walking on the leaves coming up the hill. So never hearing a deer walk on the leaves before I'm thinking Dad is coming to get me already to head home. Then a big buck appears which from memory and knowledge know was a 150ish 10 point. I'm in shock and I go to raise my gun and he sees me and stops. I cock the hammer of my single shot 20 gauge and he starts to run and I pull up and shoot. No memory of aiming. But I don't recall Dad ever telling where to aim on a deer either. LOL.

Fifteen years later I take a week off work to do some bow hunting for Whitetail around home. Hunted for 3 days and only seen a few deer due to the abnormal warm weather. So I'm out of ideas and just decide to setup in this nasty thicket that you are lucky to shoot 30 yards in. I sneak in there and find a Walnut tree big enough to put my Summit climber on and I'm climbing a few feet at a time and sawing limbs and brush out of my way. I no more than get to my desired height and pull up my bow and nock an arrow and I see a big buck at 10 yards coming through the thicket. Again 150ish plus deer. I believe he was coming to investigate some of the noise I had made trimming limbs and such. He comes almost directly under the tree which is when I should of shot. He gets 20 yards out and picks me out in the tree. I shoot and just barely cut his brisket. Track to a nearby river and no more blood. Later during shotgun season a guy up the road killed that deer and he had a big cut on his brisket. Guy shot it out of his backyard while it was tending some does eating his grass.

Usi05

WKR
I have hunted white tails pretty hard my entire life.

When I was 13 I got tired of relying on my brothers and dad to take me hunting. We had just moved to a new home with 20 acres right outside of town.

My buddy and I went out day before Halloween and made a deer blind with trees and pine branches and tossed a chair in it. My friend from school told me about this huge buck in area since he lived on other side of the 20 acres.

My dad set me up with his 270 and promised me it was dialed in. Him and my older brother promised me I wouldn’t see a buck.

I sat a few days in a row and had does coming into eat at apple tree I was hunting over.

One day mid morning I heard what I thought was a bear coming through the woods. Sticks and twigs snapping like crazy. I was terrified until this beautiful buck stepped out. He stepped into my shooting lane and stuck his nose to ground to smell doe piss.

I pulled back safety and shot. I watched him run away after he buckled and I put safety on and sprinted home. My bro and dad came out and we found slight hair and blood.

We looked around (I now realize we probably didn’t look hard enough but I didn’t know any better) and didn’t find the buck.

My dad still swears he sighted in that rifle. I have my doubts as I have never missed again. Every time I pulled back safety or bow I remind myself of the hurt I felt in that moment and the hurt I still feel when I think about. It has helped me from repeating that mistake.

My girlfriend cannot believe it bothers me still 17 years later. I shake my head while I type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The one that will haunt me for the rest of my life.........2013.......the year we got all that rain in September. It was Sept 9th, evening about 5:30, and it starts to rain. It gets pretty dark for 5:30 with all those clouds and the rain. I do a few calling moves and get a response from a bull maybe 500 yards away. I close the distance and he bugles back, now much closer.....maybe 150 yards. I get aggressive with him and I'm running in when I hear a sound below me. I stop and see him coming up through the dog hair aspen. I'm stuck in place with nowhere to hide, and he stops behind the only evergreen in that aspen thicket and starts tearing it apart. Every time he thrashes, I try to move for a better angle. And each time I move, he stops, and all I see is that big brown eye staring through me as I freeze.

So I'm pretty much stuck in place.........at 17 yards. And I'm looking at his 18" 6th points with a nice hump in the middle of them, and his ski tip fronts that are actually pointing back at him.......just begging for a shot at this big bull. After a minute of thrashing that tree with tree limbs now laying around it, he finally steps to his left and enters a 2 foot opening. I come to full draw and all I see through my peep is "tan". It's now pouring rain and all I can think of is "DON'T GUT SHOOT HIM IN THIS RAIN". I couldn't make out a crease, I couldn't see any distinguishing features in the rain and darkness, so moved my pins to the right until there was a tree, moved back left, and released. And shot him directly on the shoulder knuckle.

An inch or two further back, and he would have been down in just a few seconds. I followed his tracks in the mud for about 150 yards until I found my arrow laying there next to his trail. It only got about 2" of penetration. I saw him again a week later with a bunch of cows and never got another shot. Didn't see him after that for the rest of the season. The best part was........the truck was 1/3 of a mile away from where I shot him. Ugh!

2015 antelope doe rifle (.270), Colorado: after careful sneaking and positioning I was waiting for the 100 yard shot that was imminent - the herd was moving 600 yards in front of me and I knew exactly where they would come out. I look up and left and there is a doe looking at me at 20 yards just over the crest of the little bump I was on. Snap shot. Lots of blood and bone on the ground. Tracking went for about a mile, 4 hours. Found the doe and sent finishing shot. Upon examination I initially hit her high in rear haunch. Second shot at 50 yards was dead nuts perfect. My buddy quit tracking and went home 2-1/2 hours in (last year we hunted together, BTW). I could not give up even though blood had long vanished and I was following tracks in concrete prairie dirt for the last half a mile. I had TP stuck on Cholla cactus along the trail and just kept following topography and a somewhat straight line from last known blood and the string of TP in the wind. Playing it back I cannot see how I possibly hit her where I did given the snap shot I had where all I could see was her neck and front shoulder. How it all happened I cannot say. Glad I did not give up and just two days ago enjoyed some steaks off of her. But what a miss!

kda082

WKR
Could write a war and peace sized post but I’ll just go with last seasons. Buddy invited me to hunt does in his pasture with him. He’s up on a hill, I’m down in a bottom. Not long into the evening I hear “boom”, look up the hill and see deer running my way. Minutes later I have 8-9 does running maybe 40 yards to my right. I pick the fattest and shoot. No hit. They all stop and try to determine what to do. The doe I shot at walks directly in front of me, broadside, 20 yards. I fumble and shoot again. I watch the group run back into the woods and mill around thinking she must have dropped as all in the group appear to be feeding again. Nope. No blood, no sign of a hit. My buddy got his and I get the question repeatedly, what the hell happened? Gun was on, but even years of deer hunting, I still get shaken up.

Brendan

WKR
Embarrassing:

Last year. Drawing on a small buck, trying to get anchored with the collar of my cold weather jacket, misfired and sent an arrow off into never never land. Nowhere close.

Buck came back, stopped at 20 yards with vitals covered. Holding at full draw, no idea what my brain was thinking, sent an arrow right underneath him for a clean miss.

Wasn't even a big deer, but it was amateur hour that day.

Two that will haunt me:

1997, Vermont woods, sitting in the snow for 3 hours. First buck I ever saw, nice big 8pt. Gun misfires, second shot hits him back. Moved in and saw him lying in the snow not knowing I'm there. Instead of taking my time and putting a bullet in his neck, I tried to move, he spooked and I never saw him again after one look back. Went clear over a mountain into another valley with deep snow.

Big big Elk came to 20 feet on me in Montana 2014 deep in a hard to access drainage. I wasn't ready, didn't get an arrow nocked , he stopped in a stare down before spooking. For a general unit - I'd call him a Giant. All I needed to do was take out an arrow and draw my bow, stood there for just a little too long.

Last edited: