Your most waterproof boot

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Did you buy gaiters yet?
Yeah the first lite, I used em all last year but the cheap boots I tried leaked from underneath so I end up back in my lowas but they feel so heavy and stiff for chasing birds in spring morning after morning.

Try to go lighter with a bit more flex for everyday comfort while still being bombproof for a spring/summer/scout boot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah the first lite, I used em all last year but the cheap boots I tried leaked from underneath so I end up back in my lowas but they feel so heavy and stiff for chasing birds in spring morning after morning.

Try to go lighter with a bit more flex for everyday comfort while still being bombproof for a spring/summer/scout boot.

I'm from PA myself and have all sorts of boots from Lowa, Crispi, Schnees, Soloman, and others and I like a totally different boot compared to hunting out west. I need some ground feel and flexability myself.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from PA myself and have all sorts of boots from Lowa, Crispi, Schnees, Soloman, and others and I like a totally different boot compared to hunting out west. I need some ground feel and flexability myself.
PA is home for me as well but I've chased turkeys from upstate NY down to flat SC and out west as far as the black hills. For turkey I definitely want a supportive mild flex. Not tennis shoe soft or board stiff.

PA is home for me as well but I've chased turkeys from upstate NY down to flat SC and out west as far as the black hills. For turkey I definitely want a supportive mild flex. Not tennis shoe soft or board stiff.

I'll give my opinion on Crispi after a season with the Guides. Although I like the boot, and they fit my foot type, I felt the outsole and midsole was too hard and the #3 stiffness was a little too much. Plus snow would built up on the bottoms.
This stuff is all so personal so take that info for what it's worth.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I'll give my opinion on Crispi after a season with the Guides. Although I like the boot, and they fit my foot type, I felt the outsole and midsole was too hard and the #3 stiffness was a little too much. Plus snow would built up on the bottoms.
This stuff is all so personal so take that info for what it's worth.
Thanks, and Id bet the 3 flex of the guide and the valdres feel different based on the thicker leather, weight of boot, height, lack of abss, and insulation level.

Boots are so unique to the individual and when there is virtually no where that I can try on most high end boots it makes for a crap shoot.

ndbuck09

WKR
I've found that the perwanger leathers out there that are silicone impregnated stay the driest. That and keeping the leather treated. I ran the scarpa grand dru all last year from Alaska to Idaho snow and they never leaked. It rained 6 out of 10 days up north when we were there. The grand dru is probably stiffer than you're looking for but that type of leather is used across the boot industry.

blsch72

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old pair of Vasque that I still use. As far as I can tell, it's similar to the sundowner. After 12 years of hiking in them they have started to leak especially in the snow, but I am about to re water treat them and see how things go. But for years when they were newer, they were completely waterproof. They are definitely the most durable pair I have owned. I have put them through the paces season after season and they held up beautifully. I have gone through multiple other pairs in that time, and they are still the sturdiest most comfortable pair I have tried.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I got the crispi valdres today, wore them around the house and am getting pressure on my pinky toe just on the right foot. Messed with socks and insoles but couldn't really clear it up.

I have a feeling a wide is going to be too wide at the heal and cause lift. I'm almost tempted to buy a boot stretcher and see if I can't get the toe box to open up a bit but I hate to keep a $300 boot and not know it's going to work for sure.

Grundy53

WKR
I really like my Crispi Valdres. They are very comfortable and pretty light. But mine did eventually start leaking. After cleaning and treating with Nikwax they were waterproof again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
is the valdres a bit narrower than other crispi models.

I think sizing up will be too long, a wide might not fit in the heel. I need a bit more room at the toe box. I'll call today and see if the Dakota might work better on my feet

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with Crispi this morning, the valdres is one of their narrowest toe boxes, he agreed that a wide might end up feeling a bit lose in the heel area. We came to an assessment that the Dakota would the best bet to try next.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I remember my father used to wear rubber boots elk hunting. This was back in the day with minimal insulation choices and just a pair of wool socks. I have a pair of Brownings and a pair of Danners for elk hunting but yep, they both get wet eventually... especially in WA. Not sure if anyone has tried the Irish Setter rubber boots, but they may be an option in our somewhat wet state. "Irish Setter Men's Rutmaster Real Tree Boot 4874". I'm not sure how they would fare climbing, sidehilling, etc., but I'm considering a pair. May not be a bad option for slow moving, spot and stalk hunting. I think they're around $140.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I can't use rubber boots the narrow heel of mine always gets blistered no matter what brand or size.

I sent the valdres back and ordered the Dakota to try but just incase they also don't work I got a 2 pairs of danner crag rat USA in different sizes, a UA Bozeman 2.0, and a set of Cabela's rockrims. If the crispis don't work Ill settle on one of the others to hopefully get me though the spring. Those are all free returns so I can send them right back if the crispi don't work but at least I have options.

I can't use rubber boots the narrow heel of mine always gets blistered no matter what brand or size.

I sent the valdres back and ordered the Dakota to try but just incase they also don't work I got a 2 pairs of danner crag rat USA in different sizes, a UA Bozeman 2.0, and a set of Cabela's rockrims. If the crispis don't work Ill settle on one of the others to hopefully get me though the spring. Those are all free returns so I can send them right back if the crispi don't work but at least I have options.

It sounds like you and I are going through the same foot issues. I wish there was a good way to have my right little toe cut off! I have a narrow heal and a generally low volume foot, but that dang toe gets in the way!
I'm following.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I think I made the issue worse by switching my daily sneaker to altra and my trail shoe to topo. Now that my feet know what a natural open toe splay is like they just won't tolerate being jammed into something over confined.

I think I made the issue worse by switching my daily sneaker to altra and my trail shoe to topo. Now that my feet know what a natural open toe splay is like they just won't tolerate being jammed into something over confined.

I'm following the new Altra Tusher. Fingers crossed.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not 100% switched over the the zero drop platform, I asked topo to make a mid version their 3mm drop hydroventure 2. I run in the terraventure and it's the bomb.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
personally, ive found its pretty random. gortex and xcr usually works best when bolstered with a nikwax spray.
for nepal, it depends where youre going. up above the treeline its so dry i wouldnt worry about it too much unless you have a tight plan and may need to walk in the rain.
for down in the serai it will be so wet and humid id go the opposite and get well drained shoes.
sealskinz are a real hit and miss thing. note how theyve never really taken off. maybe good for cold climbng where you need to evaporate sweat to decrease chances of supercooled feet. ant hurt to try them tho.
for high nepal ive found a pair of gortex trail runners (but i dont expect 100% wp-ness) up to the snow line, then climbing boots beyond that. maybe in the cold ends of the season id think about lightweight boots for the added insulation with snow on the trails, but otherwise conditions are not that hardcore.

I have a set of Irish Setter Vaprtrek knees high snake boots and they leak like crazy!! Not even 6 months old