Your most waterproof boot

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
What high mileage boot have you run that really keeps the elements at bay?

I understand that unless a boot is solid rubber there is going to be a propensity for the Gortex to break down and the leather to soak out or blow a seam and spring a leak. I can’t do rubber boots for the miles and terrain I am often in, my lowas are too stiff for turkey, my cabelas meindl boots are 800gr and too hot, all the light hikers I try don’t offer enough support, protection, or leak like a tennis shoe.

I need a new boot for high mileage turkey hunting in the North East. I see some rugged ridgelines on some of my public land hunts but see plenty of creek crossing and wet grass fields as well. Looking for supportive leather above ankle boot.

My foot type is narrow heel and a wide forefoot, so a good heel lock and a roomy toe box. I generally can’t move up to a wide without getting heel slip.
I wear 9’s in Altra and Topo shoes
I’m a 9.5 in Brooks, Saucany, merrell, Keens that I all own
My Cabelas boots are a bit large in 9.5 they really stretch out once broken.

My wish List
Watertight as such I’m trying to stick to a leather boot with less seams or Cordura panels
Supportive but not overly stiff
Moderately light weight (3-3.5lbs), not counting onces but like them feeling nimble something I cant say for my Lowas
Above ankle but not a high boot will be used with gaiters

Boots I have been looking at
Crispi Valdres
Crispi Dakota
Danner Crag Rat USA
Hanwag Nazcrat or Tatra

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
I have walked though pretty deep streams in my crispi guides. Love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnees Timberline. My beartooth s have been very waterproof and durable and the Timberline is the same but as flexible as the Solomon 4D

FLAK

WKR
Cabelas Mtn. Hunters.
Alaska Brown Bear, Idaho Elk/Mule Deer, New Mexico Aoudad and Gemsbok, Texas Aoudad, Southeast Whitetails, Hogs.
These things are 12 years old and haven't leaked
a drop yet. No signs of giving up.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas Mtn. Hunters.
Alaska Brown Bear, Idaho Elk/Mule Deer, New Mexico Aoudad and Gemsbok, Texas Aoudad, Southeast Whitetails, Hogs.
These things are 12 years old and haven't leaked
a drop yet. No signs of giving up.
I liked the Cabela's brand Ive had the ultralights for years but they are 800gr and a high boot too hot for spring turkey. Unfortunately bass pro pulled most of those classic boots off the shelves for more profitable offerings that fall apart.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Take a look at Lowa Renegades. Being they're all leather you can treat it for a first layer of water proofing as well as the Goretex. I'm breaking a pair in now in PA and so far they've been a pleasant surprise. I'm really surprised how lite they are for an all leather shoe.
The looks do leave something to be desired.

Edit: Sorry I missed where you said over the ankle.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Lowa Renegades. Being they're all leather you can treat it for a first layer of water proofing as well as the Goretex. I'm breaking a pair in now in PA and so far they've been a pleasant surprise. I'm really surprised how lite they are for an all leather shoe.
The looks do leave something to be desired.

Edit: Sorry I missed where you said over the ankle.
The renegade mids come just above ankle. I've looked them but I'm my experience a boot with that many seams (multiple piece of leather) leaks in one season of hard use.

Check out the options from Garmont. They don't get the internet buzz of some big names but I've been very happy with the two pairs I've owned.

wapitibob

WKR
The only boot that has gone more than 50 miles and stayed dry is my current Hanwag Alaska.

Been thru Lowa renegade, Lowa Zephyr, Salomon Quest 4D, Vasque Breeze, Danner pronghorn, Danner Elk hunter, Danner mid of some sort, Rocky ???, Lowa Cevedale Pro, Merrill moab.

gbflyer

WKR
Your foot seems very similar to mine except I’m a size 10. Southeast Alaska 100”+ of rain annually. I’m in construction. I have been wearing the Crispi Valdres for almost a year. Not every day but more often than not. They have worn like iron and the most comfortable boot I have ever owned. Tried the green feet pad in them after researching but found the stock pad to fit me perfectly. I have had spinal surgery in the past and the right boots make a huge difference in my aspirin/alcohol consumption at the end of the day. I’m going to order another pair before they change them. I got them from Black Ovis in Utah who is a sponsor here. I ordered on a Monday and had them in the mail by Thursday. Good folks.

What ever you end up with look in adding gaiters. They're another line of defense and keep water from whicking in through the top of the boot.
Not to mention making small creek crossings a breeze.

mcseal2

WKR
Best I've used have been the discontinued Cabelas Meindl Alaskan boots and the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme. The Kennetreks have more miles on them because the others are insulated and the Kennetreks are not. I treat both with Kennetrek boot wax regularly.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the options from Garmont. They don't get the internet buzz of some big names but I've been very happy with the two pairs I've owned.
How is the toe box width on garmonts

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
The only boot that has gone more than 50 miles and stayed dry is my current Hanwag Alaska.

Been thru Lowa renegade, Lowa Zephyr, Salomon Quest 4D, Vasque Breeze, Danner pronghorn, Danner Elk hunter, Danner mid of some sort, Rocky ???, Lowa Cevedale Pro, Merrill moab.
I'm fair interested in some of hanwags offerings they have that are a bit more flexible sole like the nazcrat and lhasa they seem to check all the boxes. Hard to find information in English as far as reviews go.

How is the toe box width on garmonts

It's less wide than something like a Keen, which I find overly wide. Most often, I pass over boots that fit too narrow. My feet are slightly wider than average and I have a somewhat flat arch. My foot measures about a 9.5EE but I usually end up buying a 10-10.5 regular.

I like the minimal stitching on the Garmonts. My last pair was bought for hunting and worked well for two years. I bought another pair and downgraded the first for work. I walked the tread off before I had major seam stitching failure. My boots are constantly in mud/water/snow then dust, heat, etc.

Previously, I had the Lowa renegades which fit great but the sole was too soft on rocky terrain or under a heavy load. Danners (an air force version of what looked like a pronghorn and a softer uppered version) also fit well but lacked the durability that I was looking for.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
What ever you end up with look in adding gaiters. They're another line of defense and keep water from whicking in through the top of the boot.
Not to mention making small creek crossings a breeze.
Absolutely anything I get will be paired with my first lite brambler gaiters.. That's why I want l mid height lighter boot don't need the extra heat and weight with a gaiter.

Last year I work a very light pair of Columbia hikers but by 90 miles in them water was getting between the sole and my foot and soaking the boot out from underneath.

OP
T

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Your foot seems very similar to mine except I’m a size 10. Southeast Alaska 100”+ of rain annually. I’m in construction. I have been wearing the Crispi Valdres for almost a year. Not every day but more often than not. They have worn like iron and the most comfortable boot I have ever owned. Tried the green feet pad in them after researching but found the stock pad to fit me perfectly. I have had spinal surgery in the past and the right boots make a huge difference in my aspirin/alcohol consumption at the end of the day. I’m going to order another pair before they change them. I got them from Black Ovis in Utah who is a sponsor here. I ordered on a Monday and had them in the mail by Thursday. Good folks.
That's great news, I wasnt sure if the neoprene in the tongue would wear on itself with holes. It's appears to be one of the lightest full leather with rubber rand boots on the market.

It's a reasonable price as well with the rokalide discount on black ovis. Very similar to some of the sale prices on the danner and hanwags on my list.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with my Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers. I have yet to get wet feet in over a year of use, which is longer than any other boot has lasted me other than my Lacrosse Alphaburly 2. I use Kenetrek's waterproofing wax on my hardscrabbles and it must help. I've warn them fishing where I'm crossing a stream or even standing in it quite often, through swampy areas, in snow, and in wet grass. I'll second the point that you need good gaiters to go with them. They don't have to be super expensive. My Rocky Mountain High gaiters by Outdoor Research keep my pant legs dry and protect the upper portion of my boot. So far this is my best system, I just wish my boots were a little more comfortable. Gonna try some different insoles to remedy that.

Absolutely anything I get will be paired with my first lite brambler gaiters.. That's why I want l mid height lighter boot don't need the extra heat and weight with a gaiter.

Last year I work a very light pair of Columbia hikers but by 90 miles in them water was getting between the sole and my foot and soaking the boot out from underneath.

Did you buy gaiters yet?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord