Your Mule Deer Questions: Podcast

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
What is the most commonly repeatable habitat for finding the most bucks (not necessarily the BIGGEST buck) in the high country early season. Mixture of feeding features to cover, slope aspect, slope steepness, timber vs rocky cover, relation to water, etc.

Very broad and general question but I think it could spark some great information.

southLA

WKR
If hunting on a limited time budget, say 7-10 days with little pre-scouting, how would time be best allocated if still hunting is the end goal? Is still hunting as many potential areas the best route, or is glassing from good vantage points and only moving once activity is observed the preferred method.

At what temperature/weather conditions do mule deer start bedding on more open facing slopes in the sun vs timber? Would there ever be a reason you would look for deer on more of a eastern slope vs western, other then the sun being in your face?

VANDAL

WKR
Two different questions…

#1) If you already have good glass (for ex: older Swaro SLC 10x42 bino’s and Swaro ATS 65mm spotter), and were looking to upgrade, would you choose the new NL pure bino’s or a BTX spotting scope? This would be based on your style of hunting, conditions, terrain, etc.

#2) Robby is also a great horseman which I think gets overlooked. There are good horseman that hunt and good buck hunters on foot but not often great horseman that are also great buck hunters. Not sure exactly how to phrase my question but can you put into context: 1) At what point did you get serious about using horses to hunt mule deer? 2) How much time does it takes in the off season to keep your horses trained, fed and in mountain shape? 3) How much “hunting” time do you loose during your hunt feeding, watering and taking care of your horses? 4) How much time do you gain by being able to bring in more comfortable gear to extent your hunt?

I’m sure I’m not the only one that has stepped aside on a trail and watched in jealousy how fast horses/mules can cover country but at what cost?

Thanks!

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
When scouting for mulies in the dry mountain ranges of northern Nevada would your focus be on the north facing slopes?

street

WKR
Story of his favorite experience helping a buddy kill a big buck.

Marble

WKR
How about sharing his favorite meals from deer?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
How many holes does the average desert Mulie have to crawl into? HAHA

May have to have a listen.

kjw

WKR
1) what’s his number 1 all time favorite rifle or weapon?
2) is cereal just cold soup?

manitou1

WKR
Mule deer bucks: "Where do they go when they disappear"?

Favorite seasonal forage for mule deer bucks: mountains, prairie.

Mule deer decline: What can we do to get involved?

Robby's favorite things to look for when locating big bucks: Terrain features, forage, elevation.

How to pick apart vast prairie/canyonlands for mule deer bucks. What to look for aside fro food/water.

Of course, most is covered in his book, but extrapolations/ further insight would be great.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

WKR
One question…

Why isn’t Mule Deer at the very top of the forum list here on da slide…. We all know mulies are the grandest and greatest of creatures- so why not put them in their proper place or just above “announcements” at the top of the forum!!!

Tongue and cheek boys! Have a good talk.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Stories, stories stories.... I seem to learn more practical, applicable information from stories than anything else. Stories about hunting in rain, snow. Hunting after fires, or around fires. Hunting bucks in overlooked areas, and bucks that defied common mule deer myths. Thank You and looking forward to the podcast!

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have a scenario question from personal experience:

Early season archery tag. I am looking for an older deer (4.5 year old or older), score has little relevance.

I've found two different types of areas that hold deer:

1. More open country with less mature bucks, but provides better opportunity to spot and stalk. You can go days without seeing a buck to stalk, but have better opportunity to see the bucks if they are in there and stalk a buck if/when you find a mature deer.

2. Thicker pine/aspen country that consistently holds mature bucks, but because of the thickness of the brush is very difficult to spot or stalk the bucks. They are there every day, but killing them has proved difficult.

What area are you focusing your time?

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
When backpack hunting, where do you camp in relation to places that might or do hold deer? Top of the the ridge, mid elevation?

When you're glassing in the morning before a hot day early season, are you looking at North or South facing slopes? What factors are considered?

Last edited: