Your Mule Deer Questions: Podcast

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I have a DAV deer tag so plan to use it to look for a good mule deer buck. 160+

My timeline looks like this. I will have 10-14 consecutive days in September to archery hunt/scout.

I will have the entire rifle season to hunt as well. Looks like that will be 10 through 24 October in most areas.

I will be hunting on foot and out of my pick up truck. I have no other means of travel. I do have the ability to backpack into some country yet think it would be wise to keep the distance at 4 miles-ish. I have backpack hunted often, with trips to Alaska and Idaho and Wyoming.

I will only be able to e-scout prior to the 10/14 days in September. My intentions will be to use that 10/14 days to scout,/hunt. I plan to figure out which road systems are open into the unit I want to hunt, look over any areas identify on a map as potential hunt areas. And basically use that September time frame to hunt if I find good bucks. Yet mostly to scout for the upcoming rifle season.

My questions are:

1: what specifically should I be looking at on onyx maps as far as my E-scouting? Elevation, what facing slopes, and any other topography features that would be helpful? I do understand that you do not do a lot of east gouting yet throwing the question out there!

2: how would you best utilize those 10/14 days in September?

3: What 10/14 days in September would you choose to go?

4: lastly what assumptions can I make for changing Deer habits between the September scouting trip and showing back up on 10 October?

I appreciate any answers you give here and have your first book already. Reading it again now!
Thank you as well Jordan

Two questions regarding early October hunting:
1) What are some good strategies for opening day when a unit is littered with roads.
2) What are some strategies for still hunting the timber when glassing is near impossible.

Savage99

WKR
What are your midday tactics in really hot weather (~95 degrees) in August?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would you rank these options of an area to hunt for pre-rut muley bucks in a unit with light to medium hunting pressure? 1 being most important-3 least important

• An area with topography that inhibits ATV/horse/e-bike access and has fewer roads
  • An area with a somewhat hidden water source in an fairly arid unit
  • An area that provide obvious cover and wind/sun protection for the deer
...with the assumption that your choice only has 1 of these attributes

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Podcast us up on all major platforms. There were a lot of questions submitted since we wrote the outline so some will have to wait until next time, but this episode is FULL of good information. 2 hours worth... enjoy!