Your Second Layer?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
From late October to December on hunts where I hike in the dark, get to a spot, glass for a few hours at daybreak then move and glass all day I pretty much have my BL figured out, But I am constantly changing what I take for a second layer. Most of the time this is my outer layer till I stop to glass. What are you guys using?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Good question. One for you - what have you tried that did and did not work all that well, or why are you asking?

I would say a 1/4 zip fleece hoody, but I'd freeze my ass off most of the time if that was the case. So have been layering a FL Sawtooth vest with fleece hoody for that "on the move" scenario you give, which obvoiusly isn't just a 2nd layer since I add to it. I think when it is cold, it would be more efficient to use an "active insulation" type layer that is warmer and perhaps lighter than a fleece. To answer your question - best fleece replacment I have found, for me, is an arctyrex atom lt hoody to balance weight, breathability, fit, and warmth etc. I run cold honestly so I'd still have a fleece under it most times.

I've tried doing it a lot of different ways (this is all when cold, like < 20F, when above that no need):
- with a down or softshell vest
- a baselayer + kuiu kenai or patagonia nano air. Using dead bird atom lt is my favorite right now.
- a baselayer + fleece + softshell (works reasonably well, throw puffy over that), fleec + softshell vest
- with FL brooks sweater (worked decent but not great for obvious reasons, wanted to see how it would do with sweat).
- baselayer + FL catalyst (worked pretty damn well, I just don't like the catalyst cut)
- baselayer + sawtooth jacket (this is a pretty $ combo, but sucks in the rain/snow)

I got the new SG Cirque jacket to wear all day when it is really cold and I am cruising around in rifle. We'll see.

Looking forward to the responses here.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Towards the end of the season I grabbed a SitkaArrowhead (division of Sitka-their tactical line) Alpha Direct mid-layer hoody. This was purchased based on the very good experience I had with Sitka's Active hoody (also Polartec Alpha Direct)- which sans sleeves is only good for earlier season stuff.

I really like my Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody, but this jacket simply outperforms it on the move.

It's highly breathable, which means if it's windy- I have to add a windshirt over it.

It's the best active layer I've owned to date and I've owned a lot of them :)

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton 260 has been my go to, I also carry a down vest helps a lot and doesn’t weigh much

Wrench

WKR
I had a depredation hunt a few weeks ago. I thought I had the flu. I couldn't get warm. What I noticed is that my black ovis merino was soaking wet and had turned into a thermal wick instead of offering any insulation. I had a spyder fleece over it and was able to toss the merino and use just the spyder which almost instantly warmed me up and dried me out.

It's more dense than polartec, but unsure what hunting brand would compare.

huntnful

WKR
Enlighten Equipment Torrid Jacket. This is best piece of clothing gear I’ve ever bought. During early season I just have a light base layer and this jacket. Then starting in October I use it as my mid layer and end up wearing it most of the day because it’s plenty warm down to like 30 degrees. With a light base layer, this torrid jacket, and a stone glacier puffy on top I’ve never been cold down to 0 degrees.

DDDD5F15-94ED-4CCB-BEF6-550F2639B211.png

From late October to December on hunts where I hike in the dark, get to a spot, glass for a few hours at daybreak then move and glass all day I pretty much have my BL figured out, But I am constantly changing what I take for a second layer. Most of the time this is my outer layer till I stop to glass. What are you guys using?
I've been wearing my FL Klamath hoodie as a second layer. If windy will through on my outer/rain and if windy and cold will throw on my medium puffy.

So far so good but I have wondered about a breathable synthetic insulated light jacket when slowly walking-glassing-walking in the colder months. When moving I get hot and sweaty though so have to manage perspiration.

Enlighten Equipment Torrid Jacket. This is best piece of clothing gear I’ve ever bought. During early season I just have a light base layer and this jacket. Then starting in October I use it as my mid layer and end up wearing it most of the day because it’s plenty warm down to like 30 degrees. With a light base layer, this torrid jacket, and a stone glacier puffy on top I’ve never been cold down to 0 degrees.

View attachment 372981
I've heard good things about that jacket. Do you normally run cold or hot when walking? At what point does it get too hot for you when walking/glassing and not charging from place to place.

huntnful

WKR
I've heard good things about that jacket. Do you normally run cold or hot when walking? At what point does it get too hot for you when walking/glassing and not charging from place to place.
It is seriously amazing for the weight. Do not hesitate to get one. I normally run hot when hiking. But last year in Montana it was 10 degrees most of the time and I kept that jacket on from daylight to dark and did all of my hiking (unless it was a huge morning climb) and everything in it.