Your Second Layer?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I really only change what I wear up top based on temps and it’s only my base layer that changes normally. Directly over my base layer is my Swazi the Hood fleece. Dries fast, has a really long front open zip, long in the seat which I really like, and is surprisingly warm with a mid weight base layer (first kite Kiln is my go to). It’s “thicker” compared to a lot of the dedicated hunting brand fleeces but those things never kept me anywhere near as cozy as the Swazi. For the record, I HATE being cold.

Throw a puffy over top of that when temps drop or while sitting still glassing and it’s really comfortable.

Patagonia R1 Air hoody has been treating me really well for warmer hunts or super active climbs where Swazi is too warm.

Last edited:
I’m a big sweater.. Ive tried a few different fleece layers and have settled on the peloton 200. Very lightweight - my large weighs 10.5 ounces (lighter than kuiu’s specs). Dries incredibly fast - basically dry when I pull it out of the washer after the spin cycle. Very simple design - doesn’t have features or pockets I don’t need or wouldn’t use. Seems to be a great balance of warmth and breathability to cover a very wide range of temperatures. My simplest piece but gets the most use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I’m always trying to tweak this layer. I want warmth and packabilty. Is the active hoody or Sitka arrowhead a good choice to wear over a base but under a down jacket

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m always trying to tweak this layer. I want warmth and packabilty. Is the active hoody or Sitka arrowhead a good choice to wear over a base but under a down jacket

yup- light base layer and then the active piece for on the move, if windy- add windshirt, if stopped for very long puffy over the top (or windshirt if it's not too cool)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My second layer is always fleece of some sort. Microfleece during archery, and heavier fleece later on. I'm wearing both right now......over a t-shirt......at home. Big fleece guy.

Clarktar

WKR
yup- light base layer and then the active piece for on the move, if windy- add windshirt, if stopped for very long puffy over the top (or windshirt if it's not too cool)
You need to try the deviator hoody. It's great for high activities

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Is there any windshirt that is quiet. I 99% bow hunt. I’m purchasing a badlands exo set for wind and quiet

Is there any windshirt that is quiet. I 99% bow hunt. I’m purchasing a badlands exo set for wind and quiet
One trick is to put your wind layer under your fleece. For example, I've put the Sitka timberline under the kelvin active. Super quiet, and actually breathes better because the gore winstopper is closer to the heat source. drives moisture thru more efficiently.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
One trick is to put your wind layer under your fleece. For example, I've put the Sitka timberline under the kelvin active. Super quiet, and actually breathes better because the gore winstopper is closer to the heat source. drives moisture thru more efficiently.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
My idea of a wind shirt is like the Sitka flash pull over

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Flash isn't overly quiet, doesn't breathe well either- but it does block the wind very efficiently and is nearly waterproof- I use mine as a quasi hardshell when precip chances are low (most of our hunting season)

the military Patagonia windshirt is pretty quiet, the Black Diamond Alpine Start is as well

for archery hunting- I like @Jake Larsen idea

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to try the deviator hoody. It's great for high activities

I've got one :) the fleece portion is lighter than Core Heavyweight (or Patagonia R1), but has some light insulation in the front

I've used it for xcountry skiing and trail running a few times in cold weather- it's a little lighter than I like for hunting though

an active layer for hunting is a tough nut to crack as you are sometimes very active, but often morphs into something very slow- ie still hunting/stalking

Lowg08

WKR
the Flash isn't overly quiet, doesn't breathe well either- but it does block the wind very efficiently and is nearly waterproof- I use mine as a quasi hardshell when precip chances are low (most of our hunting season)

the military Patagonia windshirt is pretty quiet, the Black Diamond Alpine Start is as well

for archery hunting- I like @Jake Larsen idea
The way I hunt. I’m not real sure if I need a wind shirt. I book it in and either climb in my saddle, sit on the ground or still/slip hunt. I’ve had good luck with a hard shell. Right now. I’m using the OG dew point suit. I’m in process of adding the badlands exo. It’s brushed and a ceramic liner

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way I hunt. I’m not real sure if I need a wind shirt. I book it in and either climb in my saddle, sit on the ground or still/slip hunt. I’ve had good luck with a hard shell. Right now. I’m using the OG dew point suit. I’m in process of adding the badlands exo. It’s brushed and a ceramic liner

if you don't spend a lot of time on the move, you might not

Clarktar

WKR
I've got one :) the fleece portion is lighter than Core Heavyweight (or Patagonia R1), but has some light insulation in the front

I've used it for xcountry skiing and trail running a few times in cold weather- it's a little lighter than I like for hunting though

an active layer for hunting is a tough nut to crack as you are sometimes very active, but often morphs into something very slow- ie still hunting/stalking
I run hot, and sweaty this it works well for me. The code heavy weight is too warm for me unless I'm still hunting....

As soon as I stop for more than a few minutes I throw a warmer layer over the deviator and I'm good.

When it's cold and windy and I'm hiking I will put a ascendant jacket or Patagonia windshield over the deviator and I'm good to go.

Blackbird

FNG
FL Klamath has been my go to for a while now and don’t have any need to change it at this point.

I've been using the Arcteryx Kyanite for later hunts and the Arcteryx Delta Lt for early season. Both versions I chose are full zips and hoods. They have hoodless and 1/4 zip versions as well. Great as an outer layer while hiking. I run hot and those two fleece mid layers have served me well.

eoperator

WKR
I have been using a combo of peloton 97, 200 & 240 vest. All 3 together weigh about 22oz.

I am going to try out a voormi high e hoodie this year.

Depends on wind really. Little to no wind then Sitka HW hoody.

Windy? Depends on how cold and how windy and how active I will be. FL catalyst, Sitka Jetstream. Catalyst most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk