Your solo packout woes are N/A

Poser

WKR
Apparently, the mountains of CO are filled with people more than happy to help you pack out an elk, so just “go deep”, kill an elk and wait for the cavalry.

f5e0feb46a27c2e9e8b511407b751332.jpg

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I tipped over a moose less than 200 yards from a dirt road that had some gravel in spots. Just after sunrise. One guy showed up out of three that were offering to help "if things worked out" on day I filled the tag. My brother ditched the hunt less than a week prior. No outfitters had licenses for the unit. Not my plan to be solo but was so asked around if anyone up for going along or to pack meat. Was my problem to solve so no issue with people having other tasks. Just pointing out that the best intentions don't result in a group of packers showing up giving you high fives even if close to the truck. You likely are more fun at a party than me so take my caution with a grain of salt. I do have envelopes full of money to balance out my abrasiveness.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I tipped over a moose less than 200 yards from a dirt road that had some gravel in spots. Just after sunrise. One guy showed up out of three that were offering to help "if things worked out" on day I filled the tag. My brother ditched the hunt less than a week prior. No outfitters had licenses for the unit. Not my plan to be solo but was so asked around if anyone up for going along or to pack meat. Was my problem to solve so no issue with people having other tasks. Just pointing out that the best intentions don't result in a group of packers showing up giving you high fives even if close to the truck. You likely are more fun at a party than me so take my caution with a grain of salt. I do have envelopes full of money to balance out my abrasiveness.

I’d think this is amplified considerably on a “deep” packout. How many people are going to actually Show up for a 10 hour day?

I wouldn’t even ask someone to help who I didn’t know to be reliable, experienced and sufficiently fit.

Wise words to live by..."If it's gonna be, it's up to me!" , the only person you can depend on, is the guy looking back at you in the mirror. Help is always appreciated, but seldom should it ever be expected! That way you will never be disappointed when no one else shows and no one else helps. "Where there is a will, there is a way".

bnsafe

WKR
I would help someone, but I am not very socialable so nobody would ask. And I would never ever take someones spot. but, we all know most would and nobody knows I wouldnt so again no one would ask me to help. with that said, I packed out my own on a solo hunt. Just put one foot in front of the other until your done.

I’ve had guys from back East come into my camp and tell me they had an elk down and to come help. They didn’t ask, just saw the CO license plate and told me to help. There were 4 of them. I asked if someone was hurt or in trouble, they just said “no. It’s just too big for us to carry out.” I suggested they quarter it, to which they replied “no shit. Let’s go”. Not the best strategy.

I’ve had guys from back East come into my camp and tell me they had an elk down and to come help. They didn’t ask, just saw the CO license plate and told me to help. There were 4 of them. I asked if someone was hurt or in trouble, they just said “no. It’s just too big for us to carry out.” I suggested they quarter it, to which they replied “no shit. Let’s go”. Not the best strategy.
This is hilarious!

OP
P

Poser

WKR

So…. You told them to go kick rocks, you were busy enjoying a Coors Banquet, right?

satchamo

WKR
As someone who just hunted solo - I wouldn’t allow myself to go further than 3 miles from my truck for this very reason. If I was going downhill it was even less. But I also had a packers number in my pocket.

Luckily I suck at killing elk so none of it mattered!

mattflint

FNG
This is why Im glad I am a horrible elk hunter. I never have to pack meat. Just take pretty pictures, and talk elk hunting on the forums.
Im a generally grumpy fella, and especially anti social in the woods. Reality is, Id be more than happy to help someone if they did not prove to be clowns.
while not being in the greatest shape Id have to be pretty sure I was going to die before Id ask for help and would most assuredly have to have seen the light and came back a few times before reaching out to strangers. Though these are my thoughts with having never been alone, way back in with an elk on the ground. I could very well sprout an affinity for others in that situation. I doubt it though