Your solo packout woes are N/A

BDRam16

WKR
Hoping this is me in two weeks. My twosome just turned into a solo. Praying for heavy packs lol

Sled

WKR
i've only had help once with a large cow in steep terrain. it was the first snow of the year and only a couple miles from the truck but somewhat nasty with understory and mild to moderate deadfall. all the other elk and deer i've taken have been solo. i never expect help and would only ask if someone was eyeing the meat and i felt like sharing. as for helping, i've never come across a successful hunter needing help. with no cell service in the woods, i just get a call from friends when all the work is done.

So…. You told them to go kick rocks, you were busy enjoying a Coors Banquet, right?
I politely explained to them that if I could do it alone in a few trips, so could 4 flatlanders. While sipping a Coors Light.

don’t get me wrong, I’ve probably carried more of other peoples’ elk out than my own, but I appreciate manners, and most of those were people I knew.

CoStick

WKR
I have helped others, just a nice thing to do. For many it is their first elk, so the breakdown and pack out is new. When I hunt solo, I hunt smarter not further, plenty of nasty elk holding area close to roads,

hobbes

WKR
I've got two sons that know they are going to be asked to help. I've also got a llama that isn't aware of that simple fact. One of my son's buddies volunteered to help on the last bull that I killed. My son warned him but he thought it would be fun. I didn't know that he had weak ankles. We almost had to pack him out. He probably won't volunteer again. They still laugh about it. :)

I have helped others, just a nice thing to do. For many it is their first elk, so the breakdown and pack out is new. When I hunt solo, I hunt smarter not further, plenty of nasty elk holding area close to roads,
I'm a dummy. I don't think at all about how bad the packout will be until I'm 3 miles in on a sheer cliff cutting up an elk that is trying to roll furtheer down the cliff.

"Do good get good" was my solo hunt motto this year. Forced into my first solo hunt after 11years of buddy hunting I knew at 61 years old I better have my s**t together or issues could arise. I had done my normal yearly training and wasn't going to miss the 8+mile hike into the wilderness spike camp home. I had secured some horses at trailhead from a retired couple who were there for the month hunting, to help pack anything I get. . After spending the first 2 days of season hunting deep and not seeing,hearing or smelling any elk I packed back out to hunt TH. I felt dejected!! Trained and packed with 9 days of rations I bailed my backcountry hunt for the easy life!! I spent that day driving to town to restock and make a call home . When I got back I made it a point to offer my help to the horsey people that if they get something I would be glad to help pack if needed. Well my offer became reality the next morning when they both xbowed elk 5 minutes apart from the same ground blind!! A bull and a cow. We packed a load that afternoon and a load the next morning. They asked me to use their blind if I want but I rejected cuz he had a muzzy tag for the up coming weekend. Well 1 day later, hunting about a mile from their blind I was able to fill my freezer with a fat cow. I felt this cow was a gift for doing good to people you barely know. To top it off it was a 300 yd pack out down hill to my truck. The capper was that my new friends gave me a hind 1/4 and a front from their elk for all the help I gave them!! I got a text a week later after I had arrived home that He had filled his cow muzzy tag. Do good get good!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have four or five guys that are solid for lending a hand (if they are around); having said that I always plan that I'm on my own for the pack.

The inReach has been very valuable for lots of reasons, but reaching someone to lend a hand with a pack out is definitely right up there :)

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I have four or five guys that are solid for lending a hand (if they are around); having said that I always plan that I'm on my own for the pack.

The inReach has been very valuable for lots of reasons, but reaching someone to lend a hand with a pack out is definitely right up there :)

the inreach with some reliable, tough and proven friends/partners who are on notice and know the country is a big
Even then, people have jobs, kids and lives and aren’t always able to drop everything and pack 7 miles in, much of which may be off trail, to pack an elk out.

Sherman

WKR
"Do good get good" was my solo hunt motto this year. Forced into my first solo hunt after 11years of buddy hunting I knew at 61 years old I better have my s**t together or issues could arise. I had done my normal yearly training and wasn't going to miss the 8+mile hike into the wilderness spike camp home. I had secured some horses at trailhead from a retired couple who were there for the month hunting, to help pack anything I get. . After spending the first 2 days of season hunting deep and not seeing,hearing or smelling any elk I packed back out to hunt TH. I felt dejected!! Trained and packed with 9 days of rations I bailed my backcountry hunt for the easy life!! I spent that day driving to town to restock and make a call home . When I got back I made it a point to offer my help to the horsey people that if they get something I would be glad to help pack if needed. Well my offer became reality the next morning when they both xbowed elk 5 minutes apart from the same ground blind!! A bull and a cow. We packed a load that afternoon and a load the next morning. They asked me to use their blind if I want but I rejected cuz he had a muzzy tag for the up coming weekend. Well 1 day later, hunting about a mile from their blind I was able to fill my freezer with a fat cow. I felt this cow was a gift for doing good to people you barely know. To top it off it was a 300 yd pack out down hill to my truck. The capper was that my new friends gave me a hind 1/4 and a front from their elk for all the help I gave them!! I got a text a week later after I had arrived home that He had filled his cow muzzy tag. Do good get good!!
The world calls it “karma”, The Bible says, “you reap what you sow.” Either way, all parties involved seem like great people to have around and I’m glad it worked out for you. Your kindness to strangers came back to you in more than one way.