YOUR success rate on elk.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed at least one elk every year since 2009, and 4 of those years I killed two.
I have shot 8 bulls, 6 bulls over 300" with the biggest being 347". The smallest in officially un scorable (club bull, big side is about 280") and the other under 300" is 255"
I hunt private land and OTC tags in Alberta
All elk are archery kills

Last edited:

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Archery: 4 bulls in 6 years. All DIY Public land, general tag.
Rifle: 2 bulls in 3 years.
7-8 days hunting, unless I harvest early.

The years I didn't get one I have had opportunities.

Archery elk success rates run 10-12%. Rifle success often runs 12-25% depending on area.

I'm curious what some guys here run.

I'd love to hear:

- Years hunting
- Elk taken
- Archery, Rifle, ML?
- Public land or private
- OTC or draw?
- Days per year spent hunting

I suspect we'll see some interesting trends out of this if enough hunters chime in. My bet is that 20% of the hunters are taking 80% of the elk.
Rifle
6 elk in 7 tags (dad and brother both 7 for 7, in same spot)
Public
Otc
Usually tagged out first 3 days, all 3 of us.

All idaho, all same unit, every year, very populated area with little pockets.

I would've tagged out last year as well and been 7/7 if I hadn't bought Crispi boots.

Pass by hunters every year who say there's no elk there :)

Rifle
6 elk in 7 tags (dad and brother both 7 for 7, in same spot)
Public
Otc
Usually tagged out first 3 days, all 3 of us.

All idaho, all same unit, every year, very populated area with little pockets.

I would've tagged out last year as well and been 7/7 if I hadn't bought Crispi boots.

Pass by hunters every year who say there's no elk there :)
i want to hear the crispi story, haha

i want to hear the crispi story, haha
I didn't test them enough, they were pieces of junk and I had to end my trip early. I should've brought extra boots, but didn't have any and expected my very expensive Crispi's to actually work.
Could've been avoided if I had more time and money, but the boots were the sole reason I packed up and ended my season. That's all I will say, I don't want to hijack the thread and it honestly pisses me off thinking about it.
I would'nt take a free pair of Cripsi's.

I didn't test them enough, they were pieces of junk and I had to end my trip early. I should've brought extra boots, but didn't have any and expected my very expensive Crispi's to actually work.
Could've been avoided if I had more time and money, but the boots were the sole reason I packed up and ended my season. That's all I will say, I don't want to hijack the thread and it honestly pisses me off thinking about it.
I would'nt take a free pair of Cripsi's.
haha, damn! that sucks.

i have 3 pairs of them, 1 pair is my favorite pairs of boots i have owned, both in fit and durability... the other 2 pair are just boots... like the rest of my boot pile, but none have been bad, some just don't fit like they were made for me.

if a pair of boots was a factor in a hunt, i wouldn't take a free pair either, don't blame you, was just curious, because i'm hell on equipment, and mine have held up well, and most like them.... my experience with them is a small sample size and i like hearing the perspective of others

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
3 years elk hunting CO OTC archery
1 cow
1 bull
1 tag soup
Average days hunted to fill my tag on the two elk was 3 days
Days hunted the season I didn't fill my tag was over 20 I believe

Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
3 years, no elk. All otc, public land, archery. 8 days first season, 8 days second season, 11 days third season.

First year I had no chance, found elk but no close encounters. I had no idea how in over my head I was, thought I was in good shape, wrong.

Second year got into way more elk, just learning the hard way what not to do.

Third year, more lessons learned, busted more elk than I even saw the first season.

Feeling very confident about this fall, going to do all I can to arrange my work schedule to allow me to hunt until I kill an elk.

Huntnnw

WKR
Dunno how many elk Ive killed, but its skewed as the older I have gotten Ive passed more small bulls in hopes of killing a big bull. Many years Ive eaten tags that I coulda filled with spikes and rags.

Dunno how many elk Ive killed, but its skewed as the older I have gotten Ive passed more small bulls in hopes of killing a big bull. Many years Ive eaten tags that I coulda filled with spikes and rags.
The trick is to shoot the monster bull first, so you know they taste horrible and you learn to never pass on rag horns :)

Good luck on the trophy man!

Elk hunting is just plain hard, and the grind continues.

Year 1:
No elk, Archery, Public, OTC CO, 10 days spread out through the month

Between year 1 and 2 - Studied a TON and learned what I needed to

Year 2:
5 point opening morning, archery, public, otc CO, 1 day

Year 3:
No elk, archery, public, otc CO, probably 15 days

Year 4:
4 point, public otc CO, probably 8 days

Year 5:
7 point, public draw other state, 4 days

Year 6:
Small five point, public, otc CO, probably 4 days

Year 7:
Five point, public, otc CO, 3 days
Six Point, public draw other state, 4 days

Year 8:
Six point, public draw CO, 8 days

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am 100%, but that is a factor of hunting where there are elk with guys who know, and being able to shoot out to 600 yards. I am 0/4 on Coues deer solo trips...

Also, better to be lucky than good. I have no illusions it will remain 100%.

Cow, AZ draw
Bull, CO OTC

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
- 94%
- Years hunting - 16
- Elk taken - 2 cows, 13 bulls
- Archery, Rifle, ML? - 8 rifle, 7 compound, 1 recurve
- Public land or private - PUBLIC, DIY
- OTC or draw? - OTC
- Days per year spent hunting - some years 1, some years 30+

I started bow hunting elk in 1984, I have managed to make it out west from the east coast 26 times. 19 Bulls harvested with a bow all diy public land. Skunked the first 3 years, didn’t have a clue what I was doing and no one to teach me or YouTube videos to watch back then, but I knew it was the game for me!

Sadly
0%
1st year Archery MT-Guided-Had opportunities, couldn’t seal the deal tag soup but my hunting partner killed a good bull
2nd year Archery CO-Guided-No opportunities/tag soup
3rd year Rifle 4thseason CO-Guided-No opportunities/tag soup
Going first week OTC archery CO this year DIY. Hopefully I can change my success rate!