Your thoughts? meat/camp bucket

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hated my heavy caribou load slipping around between the load straps on my pack.

First design concept of a universal "bucket" to strap to a frame. This will strap to a Kifaru and Kuiu frames as is, and probably most external frames with some minor tweaking.

It can run solo or between frame and bag.

I am working on whether to sew all the straps where they cross, or leave the daisy chains.

Any thoughts?

20210210_073531.jpg20210210_073613.jpg20210209_201213.jpg

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i manny all my meat bags similar to what you do packing on horse. by keeping the meet in a tight bundle it seems to really help with load shifts, and you can position the meat in the right location. this is especially true with boned out meat.

Legend

WKR
Looks good.

But I was really hoping to see a food grade bucket fit inside that set up. We packed a couple buckets I to camp one year and they were great. You can sit on them, hang food in them, do laundry, place boned out meat in a stream..... Super functional and really do not weigh much.

You ever have meat bags shift between your pack and slide off the meat shelf or between the compression straps?

Or, am I the only idiot?
Nope. Once I cinch everything down good and tight, I'm good to go. I use MR packs and have no experience with Kuiu or Kifaru. Maybe their systems are different.

Still intrigued by your idea, though I think a few extra straps, well placed, would also accomplish the desired affect.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nope. Once I cinch everything down good and tight, I'm good to go. I use MR packs and have no experience with Kuiu or Kifaru. Maybe their systems are different.

Still intrigued by your idea, though I think a few extra straps, well placed, would also accomplish the desired affect.
Thanks for the feedback. I do know that lots of loads get packed out with the systems as they are. They are pretty sweet. Quarter's haven't been a problem shifting too much, boned out meat is what I had a problem with.

This is a small tweak/upgrade/option that I think a solid minority will want, but it will vary on conditions and applications. I won't sell millions...

Eventually I will release a waterproof camp bags that will fit in this system or a similar one. Having the external compression and containment of the bucket and straps will make it easier to keep the design in a simple waterproof construction and will be a compact way to transport a spike camp in without taking a massive pack.

Its not me, but some guys just don't want to put meat in their packs, this can help them avoid that.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Production version is confirmed to fit Kifaru and Kuiu.

I added slide buckles so that it can be adjusted for the pack and the load.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Production version is confirmed to fit Kifaru and Kuiu.

I added slide buckles so that it can be adjusted for the pack and the load.

That looks fantastic! How well does it hide under the bag when not in use? Any problems with the kuiu bag shifting when the hauler is empty and fully sinched down?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That looks fantastic! How well does it hide under the bag when not in use? Any problems with the kuiu bag shifting when the hauler is empty and fully sinched down?
Easy to fold up and hide it smashed in between. The Kuiu attaches like normal directly to the pack if not in cargo mode. That's why it will ride easy. It is also super easy just to pull off and stow away.

204guy

WKR
I like this quite a bit. You're not the only idiot to have a meat bag slip out the bottom of a pack. :D

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
a video showing how it attaches to Kifaru or Kuiu frames, would be helpful.

another thought for consideration; a back panel, like Kifaru Qty Panel has, for protection of leaking blood to your backside,, would have me pulling the trigger to order.
Excellent idea. I've been thinking a little bit about the leaking blood when another guy asked. I am going to make a waterproof ripstop bag that fits inside the cargo bucket. Think a secondary giant, loose, waterproof game bag that you could fit several boned out bags or quarters of deer or elk. Or, you could use it as a dry bag to bring in camp.

I never worried much about blood, I figured it was part of the deal, so it wasn't on my mind at first. So, here's my first couple of passes at how I would solve it. For meat, simple would be a waterproof sheet of ripstop to lay down against the pack, and after laying the game bags onto it, wrapping it around it and then strapping it down? Like a big "cross" shaped waterproof sheet.

Or, maybe sew it on the sides and pack sides of the bucket, but then with wings that are wider and taller so you just fold it around and down over the meat before you put the cargo net on? If the wings are big enough to wrap around, then they would also protect a bag that was strapped on the other side. It could also be rain protection if you use it to pack in camp.

As I think about it, that might be the best way to handle larger quarters. Make it a wrap so that you can situate the load on the frame, then pull the fabric to cover it, rather than wrestling it into a bag first that would need to be reinforced to lift and carry and move the meat while inside. I would worry less about the weight of the fabric.

I don't think I would want buckles or straps on the big wings. I picture just laying the meat on top of the fabric, and wrapping it like a butcher would a cut of meat. Then, just buckle in the cargo straps and cinch the load down. Any blood that did leak would be contained within the wrapper and bucket as it flowed down.

I think I have the perfect fabric for it. A laminate similar to X-pac but it much lighter and flexible. It has a waterproof membrane and ripstop fabrics on either side. It is much lighter and would be very durable. I could sew that into the bottom of the bucket as well.

If you want to be a guinea pig, buy a bucket and we can work out your choice of a prototype bloodproof wrap or bag to give feedback for a final design. All you need to do is mention it in the comments of your order. In the end, if you aren't happy, which I don't think would happen, I'll refund you 100%.

Also, feel free to keep thinking out loud here. I want to make Roksliders happy.