Your ultimate clothing system

So I’d like to start this thread to see what everyone’s clothing layering system, I feel like I’m still figuring it out for myself. I’m a hot hiker and sweat like a bastard, don’t matter if it’s -30C, I’m still sweating. I feel like that’s my biggest battle when it comes to clothing, is finding something to breathe well and to dry fast. Also interested in how long your clothes had lasted!

Anyways I’ll start first

Head: usually run my kuiu merino beanie 24/7 had for about 6 years.
Base layer: kuiu short sleeve merino 125 and kuiu long sleeve merino 125 about five years old each, I’ve ran ice breaker bottoms, 150 weight I believe they are at least ten years old and I finally wore out the crotch this season.
Mid layer: been through too many, enjoying my first lite Klamath as of late. Only a few months old
Insulation: don’t use often but I just always pack (weather permitting) a Costco synthetic puffy I’ve had for 6 or 7 years
Outer layer: haven’t ran many but I have a first lite corrugate guide jacket, doesn’t get used often and not really what I’m looking for. One year old
Pants: first lite corrugate foundry, really enjoying these pants, but a few cons to em. Would like to try kuiu attacks to compare. But they are a year old
Rain gear: Sitka cloudburst, jacket and pant, I’ve used the jacket as my main outer layer as needed. these things are awesome, countless hours and miles (in the pants anyways) I always buy oversized to be able to put over everything. Jacket has to be close to 10 years old, pants are probably 4 years old.
Socks is a mixture of kuiu, first lite, darn tough, with smart wool liners.

Let’s see yours!

I’m a list super nerd so my selection varies and is very specific to season/location/activity. This list is for late September archery elk. Some of the stuff is very new to me. I traded and got some used First Lite items from a fellow Rokslider and the boots are new because I’ve decided to try wearing a lighter boot for September. I can’t speak to durability for those things yet. Most everything else I’ve had for several years and it has several more years left in it.

Attachments

• B75B95DC-35E3-4AEF-B9F4-E3F64B482F6C.jpeg
    B75B95DC-35E3-4AEF-B9F4-E3F64B482F6C.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 241
OP
Brook.Trout
I’m a list super nerd so my selection varies and is very specific to season/location/activity. This list is for late September archery elk. Some of the stuff is very new to me. I traded and got some used First Lite items from a fellow Rokslider and the boots are new because I’ve decided to try wearing a lighter boot for September. I can’t speak to durability for those things yet. Most everything else I’ve had for several years and it has several more years left in it.
List like that makes it easy! Figured once my kuiu merino wears out I’d go with the first lite wick stuff. But my kuiu is hanging on good

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The last 15 years I've been very consistent with what I wear for September archery season. I'm always on the move so I sweat a lot too. That's why I use what I use. Lightweight merino base top and bottoms, merino boxer briefs, polypropylene liner socks, lightweight merino boot socks, original Cabela's Microtex Lite shirt and pants, Columbia microfleece mock-T, KUIU Yukon gaiters. That covers 99% of my September hunting days, but I also add a fleece jacket and FL merino beanie if needed. I also keep a lightweight down puffy in my pack if I stop and get cold.

Most all of these have lasted the 15 years. I've had to replace some merino bottoms but still have multiples of each of the above items. My pants have a few tenacious tape repairs, but still work great. The best part is......I have less than $300 invested in all that including my spares, and maybe another $50 in items I've replaced.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Base Layers: Smartwool or Firstlite. Change weights based on temps.

Socks: Smartwool. Change thickness based on temps.

Pants: Fjallraven Vidda Pro early season. Fjallraven Barents Pro late season. Outdoor Research Puffy pants for long cold sits or super cold temps.

Mid layer: Patagonia R1 Air full zip hoodie early season and in higher exertion climbs. Swazi the hood late season.

Wind/Light to Medium Precipitation Layer: Patagonia Houdini.

Heavy Precipitation: Swazi Tahr and lightly wax the Fjallraven pants in the seat and knees down.

Puffy: Nunatak Custom.

Headwear: Ballcap, Smartwool merino beanies, Firstlite Heavy Balaclava depending on temps.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Base layer:
KUIU 3/4 length, full zip merino bottoms (145 weight I think), First Lite Red Desert boxers (I like the long length-keeps my thighs from rubbing), 145 KUIU long sleeve crew or the $9 Costco Carbon brand merino long sleeve top, Smartwool liner socks under Darn Tough boot socks.

Mid/Insulation:
First Lite Klamath or Patagonia Nano Air jacket,
Kifaru LP Parka on top, Black Diamond Belay Pants, first light down mitts, KUIU Attack pants.

Outer Layer/Rain Gear:
Patagonia Houdini for a wind break or light precipitation, Helly Hanson Impertech Jack and some HH pants that I sewed full length double zippers into to make them easy to get on and vent when I am moving. KUIU Guide Gloves, Outdoor Research over mitts for rain (work very well with the down mitts under them), OR gaiters.

As far as use, everything has been used at least 3 years except the Klamath with is new but is wearing like iron, and the boxers which don’t hold up very long. Usually get two seasons out of them, but my legs rub and wear out the inner thigh/crotch area. Just about everything was bought second hand, discounted, or Patagonia’s Worn Wear program. I think the Helly Hanson jacket is the only thing I paid retail for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear the cheapest stuff I can because I cross alot of barbed wire fences so unless someone comes out with barbedwire resistant clothing I'll leave the expensive stuff out of my war chest! I do carry a heater body suit strapped to my stand when it's gonna be cold. So I guess my dream would be a heater body suit that is just as warm and quite that doesn't weigh 10#

Last edited:
OP
Brook.Trout
Base layer:
KUIU 3/4 length, full zip merino bottoms (145 weight I think), First Lite Red Desert boxers (I like the long length-keeps my thighs from rubbing), 145 KUIU long sleeve crew or the $9 Costco Carbon brand merino long sleeve top, Smartwool liner socks under Darn Tough boot socks.

Mid/Insulation:
First Lite Klamath or Patagonia Nano Air jacket,
Kifaru LP Parka on top, Black Diamond Belay Pants, first light down mitts, KUIU Attack pants.

Outer Layer/Rain Gear:
Patagonia Houdini for a wind break or light precipitation, Helly Hanson Impertech Jack and some HH pants that I sewed full length double zippers into to make them easy to get on and vent when I am moving. KUIU Guide Gloves, Outdoor Research over mitts for rain (work very well with the down mitts under them), OR gaiters.

As far as use, everything has been used at least 3 years except the Klamath with is new but is wearing like iron, and the boxers which don’t hold up very long. Usually get two seasons out of them, but my legs rub and wear out the inner thigh/crotch area. Just about everything was bought second hand, discounted, or Patagonia’s Worn Wear program. I think the Helly Hanson jacket is the only thing I paid retail for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a hard time with boxers too, bigger legs means more wear on the inside for me, I’ve been wearing the saxx quest or adventure I think they are called, they have been quite good for me and highly breathable which is great for me

jlbethea

FNG
How do you like the Lowa boots? I've heard a lot of good things but also that they tend to run narrow and I do like a lot of room in my shoes!

How do you like the Lowa boots? I've heard a lot of good things but also that they tend to run narrow and I do like a lot of room in my shoes!
So far I’ve only taken them for a short hike (maybe 4 miles) with the intent of starting the break in process. They don’t need a break in process as they were very comfortable right off the bat. I have average width feet and the regular width Lowa (all three pair I own) fit perfect. They do come in wide widths.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my list for early rifle season (October)

boots- Crispi Thors- have two pairs now; fit like they were made for me- roomy toe box but still snug in the heel and midfoot
socks- boot length Darn Tough- have been wearing DT for 10+ years now
gaiters- if it's wet (or likely to become wet)- Kuiu Yukons, if not Kuiu Scree
base layers- Smartwool boxers; Kuiu Peloton 97 zip offs (if cold or sleeping); Sitka Core Lightweight hoody- these haven't changed in 5+ years
pants - Sitka Ascent- very durable for a pretty lwt pant, also have two roomy cargo (zipped) pockets, dry pretty quickly
mid-layer- made a switch last year to Sitka's Arrowhead MDWi- full zipped, hooded, Alpha Direct insulation w/ a very breathable outer fabric- replaced a Sitka Core Heavyweight (which is still used some)
windshirt - Black Diamond Alpine Start- breathable and quick drying- sheds wind and light precip
puffy - Nunatak Apex custom (love this puffy!)
rain gear - if there isn't a likely chance of rain (snow is OK) I bring a now discontinued Sitka Flash; rain in the forecast- Sitka Dewpoint jacket/pants

jd1006

WKR
Boots — Crispi Wyoming/Idaho II, I like to pair them with Wiggy’s lamlite socks if it gets below 20 or so. The boot breathes well.

Socks—Darn tough, thicker weight for summer, thinner weight for winter when paired with lamlite

Gaiters—Stone Glacier

Base layers - Stone Glacier wool boxers, Peloton 97 zip off, Acclima Woolnet top

Pants - FL Corrugate Foundry

Mid Layer - Arcteryx Proton FL and a Kuiu Merino 145 top

Vest - Bora Vest from Kryptek

Puffy - REI Stormhenge

Rain Gear - Filson Reliance Jacket, Arcteryx Alpha LT Pant

jlbethea

FNG
Boots — Crispi Wyoming/Idaho II, I like to pair them with Wiggy’s lamlite socks if it gets below 20 or so. The boot breathes well.

Socks—Darn tough, thicker weight for summer, thinner weight for winter when paired with lamlite

Gaiters—Stone Glacier

Base layers - Stone Glacier wool boxers, Peloton 97 zip off, Acclima Woolnet top

Pants - FL Corrugate Foundry

Mid Layer - Arcteryx Proton FL and a Kuiu Merino 145 top

Vest - Bora Vest from Kryptek

Puffy - REI Stormhenge

Rain Gear - Filson Reliance Jacket, Arcteryx Alpha LT Pant
I’m putting together my collection and the only two things that I’ve pretty much settled on are FL Corrugate Foundry pants and SG gaiters. I’ve heard great things about the SG SQ2 gaiters but curious to hear your thoughts on the pants. How’s durability been for you?

jd1006

WKR
Corrugate Foundry pants are awesome. Used them a lot this past year and they are the perfect all-around option. Light enough to be ok if it is warm, especially with the hip vents, waterproof in the right areas to handle the colder weather and give access to baselayers. The suspenders are a much better design than anyone else has, and I prefer suspenders to a belt for backcountry because of the hipbelt and my own weight fluctuation.

I’ve had no complaints about the durability. They look great after a year and the fabric is well stitched and heavy duty in the high wear areas.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously this changes with conditions, but this is my most commonly used layering system:

Boots - Inov8 roclite pro g400

Socks - Darn tough, thickness depending on weather

Gaiters - peax stormcastle

Baselayers - sitka lightweight hoodie top, kuiu peloton 97 zip off bottoms

Pants - Kuiu kutana

Mid layer - Patagonia R1 hoodie for thinner fleece, patagonia nano air jacket for more active insulation

Windbreaker - Patagonia houdini

Insulation - Kuiu superdown ultra hoodie

Rain gear - Sitka dewpoint jacket, OR Foray pants

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on the weather, terrain, etc but I guess I'll give my standard Rut to Late Season system.

Baselayer - Aclima Woolnets, top and bottom.

Midlayer Top(s)- Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca Crew + Woolpower 400 Vest

Midlayer Bottom(s) - Arms of Andes Alpaca Bottoms + Duck Camp Merino Joggers

Outer layer Top - Dachstein Alpine Wool Sweater

Outer Layer Bottom- Johnson Woolen Mills Pants

Socks - Brynje Super Thermo Socks + Woolpower 800 socks

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the Dachstein sweater?

I have been mulling it vs. Arthur Beale.
I love it. But full disclosure I have an unhealthy love of wool sweaters.

It's not light and it's not cheap. Let's get that out of the way.

What it is, is thick, warm, and wind resistant but breathable. It's also naturally quiet and I feel the natural wool fabric blends in well. What I really love about it is the flexibility and range of motion. It doesn't feel as constricting as a coat to me. It will also keep the wetness of rain/snow away from your body, but an already heavy sweater doubles in weight if you get it soaked.

When I say wind resistant, in my experience I don't feel the wind at all until probably over 12 MPH but your mileage may vary depending on the layers you wear under. At 20 MPH you can feel it, but unless you're dead still I don't feel it makes you uncomfortable. If the wind is roaring I have a packable windshirt and/or windproof vest I layer with it.20221228_075605.jpg20221223_123527.jpg

PAPublic

FNG
I have the same issue with getting sweated up on the hike in and then being stationary. When it’s too cold to just be in baselayers for the hike in I’ve found the KUIU Peloton 97 (little cold) and Sitka Kelvin active (more cold) to work great as active second layer and good mid layer when stationary. They both breathe and dry fast but aren’t good for busting brush. I think Sitka replacement for Active line is Ambient which I’ve heard is even better