Your upcoming elk hunt...

For those of us who are headed out into the elk woods this year...it is very close!! A few days for some in fact. I'm headed to Wy for two weeks mid-September. Having my coffee this morning I was thinking about the things that I feel very confident in this year vs the things that my nerves are working on this year. What are you confident in this year? Gear? Equipment? Shooting? etc.. vs the things you are "nervous" about this year?

For me my confidence is in:
1) My kids being a bit older now so it being "easier" to leave the house without feeling like I should be at home helping...I feel like I can really go this year with no regrets.
2) My spot...I have a great spot that I have hunted for many years over that has always produced great opportunities at good elk
3) Equipment/clothes/bow...I finally feel like I have a good system for any weather that can happen in Sept. Broadheads have been flying perfect out of the Hoyt for the past 3 months.
4) Hunting Partner...great hunting partner this year who elevates my game.
5) Physical Shape: Ive never been in this good of "hunting" shape before.

Nerves:
1) Making the shot....I haven't hunted as much as I usually have going into elk season and I am hoping things click back to instinct when there my pin hits fur. I want to make sure I shoot via my process vs rushing the shot.
2) Getting it done on a 6pt. Really want a 6pt this year but love elk meat more. I'm hoping I can have the patience for a 6.

Where's your confidence and where's your nerves?

Best of luck this fall everyone! Always appreciate the forum for help throughout the year in prep for this. Cant wait to be out there!

CJohnson

WKR
I'm more confident in myself and my gear for sure. I've got a new hunting partner, but I've hunted hard with him in the past and it's nice to not have to worry about that.

I'm nervous about leaving my wife and boys. Also a little nervous about the COVID cases starting to tick up with cooler weather and these idiot politicians making a knee jerk decision that will ruin my season.

Gerbdog

WKR
Confident:
* Making the shot, been practicing a ton
* Gear, been building it over the years and its in a good spot
* Personal physical shape and attitude, been working on it for months

Nerves: All the crap out of my control
* The elk
* The other hunters, especially the spots I've scouted suddenly having more human sign than elk sign in them... what a sad feeling that is
* I'll add this one here after reading down a bit also, getting an elk out solo definitely causes some anxiety.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
Confident there are elk in the mountains. I suppose some things could arise that bring on some nerves, but nothing now. I guess I may be a little concerned that I'll end up sick about mid-September. That seems to be standard the last few years. Someone will pass something off about the time my vacation starts. COVID would be about right this year. I really should just go into the mountains now and not come out until October or an elk is dead.

Rob5589

WKR
Shooting, good. Gear, good. Fitness, best yet. Going into a new area, solo, and have yet to kill one so definitely more excited than confident in that regard.

FlyGuy

WKR
confidence:
- hunting partners
- gear
- fitness level (my best ever)
- elk knowledge (Finally feeling like I’m starting to know what I’m doing)
- overall shooting ability. Got over some target panic brought on by shoulder pain earlier this year and now shooting well and will get even better.
- food. All packed. Included macros in calculations this year. Challenging, but checked off the list now.

Anxiety:
- Broadhead flight. Last night I shot BH to check. 30 and 40 yards were money, but at 50 I’m hitting 6-8” high right.. Got some work left to do there to tune that out.
- Hunt plan. New unit. One of the old OTC units in Southern CO that just went to draw. Lots of pressure. Never been there. Getting more and more confident in the plan but still have work to do.
- marriage (joking, sort of) hunting season always causes stress around the house that I really dislike.
- covid - doubt anything will get closed down over it, but I really don’t want my wife and son coming down with it while I’m 20 hours away and 5 miles deep.
- new boots - so far so good but you never really know till you hit those steep angles.
- wildfires - shit is dry

You can’t cheat the mountain

Confident:
Shooting is on par
Gear is updated
Hunted the same area for years and know where the elk are

Nerves:
Getting actually setup on elk
Drawing back and one of them seeing or spooking on me
Other hunters in the area
The elk are always call shy

Sammymusi

WKR
This is my first year going out , going with 2 others that are experienced.. ive been so freaking excited but now all the nerves are setting in . Leaving sept 4 for 16 days of hunting in montana. My gear list is complete and im like a school girl on the night before her prom

Finch

WKR
Confidence:
-Shooting ability
-Gear
-calling ability
-physical shape - so so. Been having some back issues but PT and chiro are getting me straight
-hunting solo - looking forward to this. Will miss my buddy but looking forward to just being on my own out there.
-redeeming myself from last years poor shot

Neves:
-Getting to CO w/ the family safely while towing the pop up -26 hour drive
-Wife and kids staying in camp while I'm hunting. Wife is fine with this.
-getting an elk out by myself

ncavi8tor

WKR
Experiencing a roller coaster of emotions as I am anticipating my first ever backcountry archery elk hunt in a couple of weeks.

Confident in:

My archery gear and shooting. Everything is dialed out to 80+ yards, even though 60 is my max for a live target. It's in the hands of the Indian at this point!

My gear is top-notch and has proven itself during several long training hikes and overnights.

My hunting partner is on top of his game and we make a good team! I will be just as happy if he kills a big bull this year and I get to experience it with him!

Our hunt plan is very solid with multiple options. Lots of e-scouting this summer and research of different areas.

Nervous about:

Grizzlies! Grizzlies! Grizzlies!! Did I say grizzlies!!?? We have worked to educate ourselves on having a "clean" camp and have a plan in place. We have practiced with our bear deterents and formulated a response should we have an encounter. It will be on our minds, but it will NOT interfere with enjoying the hunt.

Finding elk in our spots! Hopefully, the research helps.

Weather. The mountain weather has it's own plan regardless of the forecast. It can make hunting great or shut it down completely for days! Luckily we have enough time to wait it out if necessary.

Altitude. We have sea level lungs and hope it doesn't take us too long to acclimate. It's difficult if not impossible to prepare for high elevation activity when you live on the opposite coast.

I think this about sums up my thoughts for now. Ready to head West!!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
good thread

Confident-
-Bow/arrow setup- Mathews VXR=best bow ive ever owned
-elk woods experience 4/5 on bulls last 3 seasons
-gear setup
-pre-scouting found some great bulls

Nerves
-fitness is shit, gained the covid 15
-hunting new unit in CO, could be a cluster
-price of meat and food shortages= added pressure to punch tags

midwestwi

FNG
This is my first ever trip out west for hunting and only second time even seeing mountains.

Confident

*Gear
*Shooting (rifle)
*Physical Condition - been working out as much as I can and have not been in better shape in my life, even when younger

Nerves

*drive out, driving older vehicle that is not in perfect condition, high miles/etc
*weather - not used to mountain weather, something I need to experience and keep studying on and come to an understanding of
*packing animal out alone
*do not have a good grasp of animal habits in this environment or how to hunt them - my plan is just to come out and expect to learn and take it in as much as possible, lots of glassing will hopefully help, as well as all of the reading I'm doing

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Confidence: My hunting and shooting

Nerves: A fire starting up in my hunting area and/or all this smoke still hanging around during the season.

Confidence:
-I know there are elk in the mountains I’m hunting.
-I’m geared up and well prepared. I started packing in June for the 3 hour drive.
-I’m the only shooter this year and my parter is pretty good on the elk flute.

Nerves:
-I’m leaving my wife home with a six week old baby for our first 9 day hunt.
-I’m starting a new job the week before the hunt.
-I have not hunted this unit and due to aforementioned baby have relatively little time in the unit. Can’t predict where the pressure will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WPFY543

FNG
Confident:
- any day out in the woods is better than a day in the office
- physical fitness
- i have harvested multiple bulls with a rifle so there is less pressure for my first kill

Nerves:
- archery is new to me and getting within 40 yards of an elk is different than getting within 300 yards of an elk
- calling
- solo hunting
- grizzlies/wolves/darkness in a new state/unit

Overall I’m about 99% confident. Elk are elk and they can be tough but I know my area very well, my gear is ready with the usual couple improvements. My shooting is fine.

Nervous about: Not really nervous but I know I’ll be huffing and puffing after the Covid caused an all you can buffet in our lifestyle.

The only real thing that makes me nervous is that I hold out for a 6 point bull for at least half of my hunt and I’m very well aware that in elk hunting passing up a legal bull could lead to serious regrets! :unsure: It’s a shaky feeling when you watch a 5 point bull walk away because you let him!:oops:

Last edited:
Confidence:
-I know there are elk in the mountains I’m hunting.
-I’m geared up and well prepared. I started packing in June for the 3 hour drive.
-I’m the only shooter this year and my parter is pretty good on the elk flute.

Nerves:
-I’m leaving my wife home with a six week old baby for our first 9 day hunt.
-I’m starting a new job the week before the hunt.
-I have not hunted this unit and due to aforementioned baby have relatively little time in the unit. Can’t predict where the pressure will be.

I’m right there with you, when I head out in a few weeks I’ll be leaving my wife at home with our 2 year old boy and our daughter, who will then be 7 weeks old! We’ll put this one in the nervous category, along with the 8-10% chance of success for the muzzleloader unit that I’ll be in.

Confident in shooting my muzzleloader, being in similar or better shape than prior years (still not where I want to be though), and knowing that no matter how it turns out it’s still going to be another great hunt, getting outdoors and seeing buddies of mine that I do only once a year at this point.

Don’t pass on the first day what you’d shoot on the last!!!!
Mah. That saying is out dated. Start with high standards and adjust them after a few days or a week based on what’s been happening. You’ll never kill a mature bull if you shoot the first little one you see!

Mah. That saying is out dated. Start with high standards and adjust them after a few days or a week based on what’s been happening. You’ll never kill a mature bull if you shoot the first little one you see!
Could go either way you could look at it like if your goal is to shoot a certain age class and you’re willing to eat the tag if you don’t get it then it’d apply. But I’d bet there are a lot of people who have went home without filling their tag because they’ve passed on something early and never got another chance. The saying can apply to bigger animals as well if that’s what you’re going after but probably have to be more willing to head home empty handed.