Your upcoming elk hunt...

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
My first elk hunt starts in about 22 days. I’m confident about the hunt because I know the area, I’ve revised my plan a number of times based on good advice and have a lot of options. I’ve practiced shooting more than ever this year.

But, I am a little nervous, or maybe anxious, about just diving in without any elk hunting experience. Seeing elk while deer hunting doesn’t mean I’ll be successful, so I’m sure I’ll learn a few lessons.

Could go either way you could look at it like if your goal is to shoot a certain age class and you’re willing to eat the tag if you don’t get it then it’d apply. But I’d bet there are a lot of people who have went home without filling their tag because they’ve passed on something early and never got another chance. The saying can apply to bigger animals as well if that’s what you’re going after but probably have to be more willing to head home empty handed.
I guess it depends on a couple things too. I hunt the same area every year. So I’d rather shoot a cow than a small bull that could be the 6 point I’m looking for in a few years. We can kill a cow in just 1 or 2 days so no hurry to pull the trigger. But of course the regulations have to include either sex elk to be able to do that.

Inside of 2 weeks till my first elk hunt. My biggest concern is elevation. Everything else I feel I can control to a certain degree. I know I cant control where the elk are or aren't, but I can control how hard I go after them. If I were to walk in a big enough ditch where I'm at, Id be below sea level. Ive done a pretty damn intense 7 week training program with a focus on cardio and leg endurance and Ive gone to the pain cave nearly every day. Ive had 2 rest days the past 44 days. People don't realize how you can train your body and mind to be comfortable being uncomfortable. Having your mind conditioned is as important as the actual physical part has been. You cant just show up and think you can push yourself past your comfort zone and pull it off without having gone there many times before. Physically, I think I'm good. Itll be a test, but Ive done whats in my power to be prepared for it.

That old saying 'the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" applies here.

The other things that concern me are things you just have to deal with and that everyone has a first time. Every deer, hog, turkey Ive taken, has been hung up, gutted and skinned at camp. Ive never quartered and caped using the gutless method in the field. The other is just, the spots Ive picked, hopefully I can just park and go. Public land out west is completely new phenomenon to me.

Laramie

WKR
Confident?
I know I will be very happy hunting elk next week. This will be my 31st season and I'm still giddy just thinking about being back on the mountain.

Nervous?
No stress here. If something goes wrong, I'll deal with it then.

To those going out on a first time hunt- Enjoy every moment and don't place too much stress on the kill. Be determined and try hard but let yourself enjoy the experience. Some of my favorite memories through the years don't involve a dead elk.

Confidence:
Archery set up-been shooting well and got to a 3D shoot this summer
Hunting partner-hunted with him several times over the last three years and looking forward to chasing elk with a bow this time
Hunt plan-I’m from the Midwest, so I’ve been escouting and getting as much digital content as I can. I we have a good plan (A-F) for an 8 day hunt.

Nervous:
-Mountains are going to kick my butt. I’ve been working out twice per day with 50 lb rucks every morning for 2 miles then an hour workout at night. I still don’t feel prepared for the elevation and terrain.
-Finding elk. I’ve never archery hunted for elk before so this will be a new experience
-Pressure. Lots of others like me have been exposed to digital content and are motivated to try hunting elk for the first time. Along with COVID impacts I have a feeling the woods are going to be very busy. Especially in OTC areas, which is where I will be.
-Making encounters count. Given my lack of experience I am going to make some green mistakes and hit the learning curve like a brick wall if we manage to find elk and get them called in.

At the end of the day, nothing compares to experience so I figured it’s better to start now.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
First elk hunt in 21 years, second time ever.

Confident
Archery shooting ability and setup
Have all the gear I need to be successful
General abilities, strength and conditioning
Ability to change and adapt to the situation

Nervous
56 with a bad knee that probably should be replaced
First time for an extended trip anywhere over 8K feet
Can I find elk
Can I get away from muzzleloaders and other hunters
Successfully breaking down an elk without it looking like it was a gruesome murder scene (let's hope that one is needed)

Confident
Archery shooting ability and equipment
Have all the gear I need
I know the area I plan to hunt
My calling skills are much better
If the hunters are great, I have back up plan

Nervous
Working too many long hours to get in proper physical condition this year
Will the elk be there

1st season is nice where I hunt. Maybe 2-3 camps at the most. Every year is different. There is an abundance of elk or there are just a few resident elk.

Last year sucked. It snowed on the way up and looked promising. Then when we got to our spot and there was barely any snow. The rest of the trip was very hot and dry with no sign. My friend had two bulls run by him at mid-day two days in while he was on his phone and he couldn't get his gun on one.

I've been skunked two years in a row. Hopefully I get one down this year.

1st season is nice where I hunt. Maybe 2-3 camps at the most. Every year is different. There is an abundance of elk or there are just a few resident elk.

Last year sucked. It snowed on the way up and looked promising. Then when we got to our spot and there was barely any snow. The rest of the trip was very hot and dry with no sign. My friend had two bulls run by him at mid-day two days in while he was on his phone and he couldn't get his gun on one.

I've been skunked two years in a row. Hopefully I get one down this year.

You guys need to hunt somewhere without any cell service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk