Youth Backpack

JPD350

WKR
My daughter who is 16 is ready to do some backpacking with me and I am at a loss for what to get her. It needs to be big enough, inexpensive and good quality so that it doesn't discourage her from going more than once. I will be getting her a lightweight sleeping bag but she is going to buy her own pack, any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

JP

Beastmode

WKR
I bought my daughter a Gregory deva from REI. It's lightweight and still has a rugged enough suspension to put gear and a little bit of meat in it. She is 11. I think they run just under $300. If that is too much they have some in the $200 ballpark that would work great.

Whatever you both decide upon, make sure that you first narrow it down to packs that will fit her torso, especially if she might still get a little taller. Then decide what you want it to do for her, for example, if she isn't going to be going hunting then you don't need something that will carry 100#.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
http://www.rei.com/product/827065/rei-flash-52-pack-womens

For just backpacking I find the REI flash line simply great for loads 40-45 pounds and less. Backpacking hunt pack it is not so much, but general backpacking it has all the feature I like and fits me like a glove. The $180 price tag isn't too bad either, however wait til spring for their sale and get it down in the $150 range easily.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Thanks, nothing better than reviews from actual hands on.

Larry, Agreed on the torso length I need to measure her! I'm fairly sure she is done growing upward so the torso length should be stable for years to come and I think she should get something that will work for awhile. She doesn't hunt but does scout with me a lot and she has joined a backpacking club at school so the pack will have to be big enough to carry all she would need if I wasn't going with her although I will probably volunteer to go on the school trips, anyway to big is better than to small.

Beastmode, The Gregory Deva is a great looking pack! but unless I can get one on a scratch and dent sale she probably can't afford one of those. Does your daughter give it high reviews? Has she used it much?

Luke, The price of this pack is more in line with what she will be able to afford especially if I get it on a scratch and dent sale + the 20% end of the year coupon, Do you think the 52 is big enough? seems a little small.

Beastmode

WKR
Jpd my daughter likes this pack alot. It's seems to be one of the better built packs that REI has. It is big enough for her to carry everything she needs for 5 days, if I help her pack!!

For some reason some woman feel the need to bring everything they own! Haha

But back to the pack I would strongly recommend this pack and as stated before get one she can grow in to. Get the largest size, adjusted to it's smallest size that fits her. She probably isn't going to grow very much more so it should last her a long time. Let us know what you pick!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
JPD,

If price is a big concern as she is buying it, I know Becca really liked her Gregory Jade 50 for just backpacking weight as it did well up to 45ish pounds or so. If you can sign up for their deal flyer and wait for a 30% off or better coupon code you can get this women's Gregory 60 for less than $100.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gr...-backpacks-and-daypacks~d~174/&colorFamily=06

It should be plenty big for everything up to a week long trip if you are just hauling backpacking gear.

However, if space is a real concern and you might want the option to haul a bit more weight, I really like the Granite Gear stuff. This women's pack is designed for 50-60 pound loads and is 1/3 larger as well. It can be had for $120-$140 depending on the deal flyer if the small frame fits her.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gr...-backpacks-and-daypacks~d~174/&colorFamily=01

Hope some of those options help out. Lots of great packs out there, best to try them in person or just order from places like STP linked above that have great return policies.