Youth Base Layers

Esox

FNG
Hey guys been around the site for a while but never really posted much. I, wondering if anyone out there has and recommendations on warm base layers mainly bottoms. My son 10yrs old spends a lot of time bow and gun hunting with me and the cold gets to him after being in the stand after about 2 hours. Thanks

firebird

FNG
Columbia sportswear here In Canada has a lot of youth gear and usually big sales on off season gear. My kids are head to toe Columbia solids for hunting and outdoor activities.

Baselayers
Fleece zip up
Puffy jacket
Trail pants

I have a 10 year old as well and he’s able to sit all day which is very impressive to me but he enjoys being out. He has a field and stream med weight base top and a fleece zip up. On the bottom it’s an under armour with his camo Jean pants. This is for walking in and early season, then once we get to our spot I pack a 1 piece camo insulated coverall, scent lol I think and he’s pretty well set. Good handmuff plenty of hand warmers, good boots. Best wishes there is nothing better than hunting together!

Tod osier

WKR
Hey guys been around the site for a while but never really posted much. I, wondering if anyone out there has and recommendations on warm base layers mainly bottoms. My son 10yrs old spends a lot of time bow and gun hunting with me and the cold gets to him after being in the stand after about 2 hours. Thanks

They are tough to find good stuff. Our son has used a mix of merino (when we can find it) and synthetics. The tough thing we have found is anything other than lightweight base layers. Our son is 13 and he has been outfitted this way for several years. The system we have settled on (before adult sizes fit) was buying the best next to skin base layer we could find at the time (even if pretty light) and then layering aver that with fleece as a warmer base. The Amazon basics fleece tops and vests are great and cheap, they are pretty thin fleece for outers, but perfect for layering. Columbia has some good fleece bottoms, the ones we have been getting are:

Columbia Boys' Glacial Fleece Banded Bottom Pant​

Another thing is lots of hand and foot warmers. We deer hunt in the cold and duck hunt late season a lot. He used a bottom of the foot warmer on the bottom of his foot and a toe warmer on top (I've started using them too, pretty cushy). Some sort of super warm mitt with warmers in it is good for the hands.

To add to my original post, anything artic shield is very good gear, also if you know your going to be sitting the artic shield boot covers with hand warmers inside work too. If money isn’t an issue the heater body suit is the ticket.

If it’s cold and we aren’t moving much I pack a pair of my down pants with me and then when we get to where we are going slide them over the kids as an outerwear. Like being in a sleeping bag and only weigh a few ounces. Pack down to nothing.
They just usually wear some type of thin tights with fleece sweats on top of that and baggy hunting pants. Put down on top and good to go.

For feet I pack a pair of felt liners from a pack boot. They put those on and slide into Arctic Shield over boots with a hot hand in each. This way they can just wear light hiking boots while walking.