Youth Bow Recommendations

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy my son hide first compound. Right now he is shooting a cheapo bare bones bow my wife got him on amazon. We bought him that just to see if he’d be into it and sure enough he loves it. Go figure. Now I want to get him something serious. He is always asking when he’ll get a bow like mine. So for Christmas I’d like to buy him his first real compound. He’s only five so I’m looking for something that he can have fun with and still feel like he’s shooting something close to mine. Obviously it’s gotta be super adjustable. Just something to get him through this stage until he’s ready for a hunting bow....

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

WKR
I got my son a PSE Mini Burner when he turned 9 and it's been great the last few years. Plenty of adjustability. I'd also look at some of the Mission youth bows but I personally don't have any experience with those.

LostArra

WKR
When my grandkids were that age I got a youth traditional bow with finger savers on the string. Elk Ridge, Maddog and Black Rhino all make quality kids bows. Some have trade-up programs. The simplicity of the trad bow made things easier for them (make sure to have an arm guard). Long distance contests and balloon targets are always their favorites but a 3D deer is good to have also.

If and when you move to compound, Mission is a good place to start and quite honestly a Mission could grow with them into adulthood unless they start reading archery advertisements.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought my boy a Diamond Infinite Edge and it’s been great. I’ve been able to keep it adjusted to his growing draw length and poundage. It is limitlessly adjustable from 10 to 70 pounds I think

bdc9b45b40debe8489634e18b121f39a.png

77b3ff1454833ebf9a8d2ec87d0ba8ee.png

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Wow thanks for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll have to start looking tonight. I have been skeptical about the diamond with no real backing on that so it’s good to see that mentioned.

I bought my son a Bear Royale last year. He is 11 now. Lots of adjustment for poundage and draw length. So far it has been a solid little bow he really enjoys. For a 5 year old I think it would be to heavy and difficult to use. I started him on a Bear Scout. I don't think they make it anymore. But I see a Spark and Apprentice on their website. Probably the same category of bow.

For a five year old, you need to pay attention to the mass weight of the bow more than the draw weight. Some of these bows are way to heavy for a young kid. I have two Diamond Atomic's and a Diamond Nuclear Ice which was out before the Atomic. All three have been great bows. My 11 year old has pretty much out grown the Atomic, but she doesn't have much interest in hunting with it yet, so as long as the draw length fits her, she can punch paper just fine with it.

My 9 year old is shooting the lefty Nuclear Ice and that is a really sweet bow. He's shooting a 450 grain arrow with a two blade this year trying to get his first deer with a bow. It max's out right around 30 lbs and that setup packs a pretty good punch and it is whisper quiet. I have it setup with a nice sight and a drop away rest as well.

I wouldn't hesitate buying the Atomic's or Nuclear Ice again if I had to do it all over again.

hunt1up

WKR
Definitely a Diamond Atomic. No brainer choice. Both my kids have them and they're 7 and 9 and they've had them for 2 years or so. Very compact, light, and extremely adjustable. You can shoot it light enough to barely stick in the target or crank it up to where you wouldn't want to be on receiving end of an arrow. They're cool little bows.

We bought our son a Hoyt Ruckus when he was 10 and he used the heck out of it for several years before he out grew it. It was a great little starter bow I think.

Please make sure you test your kids eye dominance, if they are right handed and right eye dominant or left handed and left eye dominant you are good to go. If they are cross dominant it can cause some issues. I have some experience with this. It's easy to test

My boys each have a diamond prism and they’re great, but I think they’re probably a little big for a 5 year old. The atomic looks like it would be good for a smaller kid. Like Huntmaster mentioned above, the weight of the bow itself can be an issue for little guys

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Please make sure you test your kids eye dominance, if they are right handed and right eye dominant or left handed and left eye dominant you are good to go. If they are cross dominant it can cause some issues. I have some experience with this. It's easy to test

This was a problem for me growing up. My dad wasn’t really into hunting all that much and bow hunting even less. So they always bought me a hand me down right handed compound. I am heavily left eye dominant so I had to re-train myself to shoot left handed after about 12 years of shooting righty

ETtikka

WKR
Diamond Edge SB-1, or Diamond Infinite Edge Pro
Both are very easily adjusted. I ordered a SB-1 "kit" off of Ebay from a dealer in New York, I have already had to tweak draw length for my son. And it will fit him forever,,

At that age get him a used diamond atomic or nuclear ice. Trust me you won’t regret it. That’s what all my kids started on. Now they are amazing shots