Youth Bows: Hoyt Klash?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders I'm starting to look for a bow for my son. He'll be 14 at the end of June and loves shooting his little Diamond Atomic at the archery range with me. He has outgrown that one and now I'm looking for the next step up for him. I would like to get him a bow that will be enough to start hunting with in a couple years if he decides he wants to do that but at least get him shooting out to say 60-70 yards for practice.

I was looking at the Hoyt Klash and thinking it would be a great bow for him to use for the next few years. What do you guys think?

OR Archer

WKR
If he’s 14 I’d look at the Powermax. A 60# Powermax will back down to 40# pretty easy. It offers 25.5-30” draw length in the #3 cam. Another option would be the Mission Switch. It’ll go from 19-30” in draw and adjust from 25-70#. Both of those will offer better performance than the Klash and will last him longer into adulthood.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If he’s 14 I’d look at the Powermax. A 60# Powermax will back down to 40# pretty easy. It offers 25.5-30” draw length in the #3 cam. Another option would be the Mission Switch. It’ll go from 19-30” in draw and adjust from 25-70#. Both of those will offer better performance than the Klash and will last him longer into adulthood.

I like the looks of that Mission Switch. If it's smooth, it seems like it would be a great bow to grow into.

My boss has two sons one has the Diamond SB1 and the other has the Klash. I have shot both and I would buy the Diamond SB1 as it is just a nicer shooting bow IMO with better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idcuda

WKR
I'm in the same boat with my 13 year old, so I appreciate the conversation. I'm planning to hit the archery shop today to see what they have. I'll reply back. I'm leaning towards the Diamond Sb1 or the infinite edge, but I'm wide open to options. My wife has an infinite edge and it's great.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter is 13 and she shoots her Hoyt Klash extremely well. It's a great bow for her or any child at that age or around there. Fully adjustable and she/he can grow into it.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try to get him out to shoot a few different options but that may not be easy with this virus stuff.

idcuda

WKR
Hit the shop today, but nothing in stock. Shipment coming next week, virus permitting, of course.

nphunter

WKR
It really depends on your budget and the size of your kid. My son went from an Atomic to a Ruckus and is now shooting a Strothers Hope.

My son is only 13 but he's 5'10" but only 113lbs. The short ATA on the Ruckus which is the same as the klash didn't work well at all for him after he hit a growth spurt. The Hope is very similar to the elite above and has a 34" ATA but is very light. I actually got his with 30-40lb limbs. I think to focus on proper form, and shooting technique is far better than purchasing a bow that will last a kid a lot of years. I like to buy used bows that are in good condition and keep them in bows that fit them.

Here are a couple of pictures, you can see even at 9 & 12 how small the atomic and ruckus fit them. Now that they are 10 & 13 the Ruckus and Hope fit them so much better. My 13yr olds scores jumped significantly with the larger bow, he can outshoot most of my buddies out to 50 yards. He's only shooting 42lbs so out past 40 it drops pretty fast but I also have it equipped with a tek hybrid so he can actually dial it out to 70 pretty easily, he's also shooting a 450gr arrow at 26" so he can hunt with the same setup.

47AF3952-6A8C-4AA4-BE9E-BF47D6410A1B.jpeg
F29EC54C-2513-4C15-87D6-4B77EB453742.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to a few of my local buddies today who know a lot more about bows than me. One that keeps coming up is the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. I know it was mentioned in this thread at least once as well. I'm leaning toward ordering one for not only my son but my wife and daughter as well.

My son was able to shoot the PSE Drive SD today at one of our local shops and he liked it but it's way more expensive and has much less adjustability as he grows. The bow fit him well at 24.5" draw and he was able to pull 45 lbs without too much trouble.

I talked to a few of my local buddies today who know a lot more about bows than me. One that keeps coming up is the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro. I know it was mentioned in this thread at least once as well. I'm leaning toward ordering one for not only my son but my wife and daughter as well.

My son was able to shoot the PSE Drive SD today at one of our local shops and he liked it but it's way more expensive and has much less adjustability as he grows. The bow fit him well at 24.5" draw and he was able to pull 45 lbs without too much trouble.

Diamond has it figured out. I will say the diamond SB-1 is not a lot more money but way more bow and better design all around than the infinite edge or pro. Infinite edge is super popular because it’s cheap and works pretty well not super heavy and often comes as a package. Bought my wife the SB-1 three years ago for $400 as a package deal if I remember right. From what I remember off hand the SB-1 advantages are a deeper cam groove vs shallow on the edge, markings on the riser for adjusting weight, better stock strings couple more things I’m not remembering at the moment. I’m sure you know Justin but don’t leave the shop without replacing the octane hostage rest.
The mission you bows I’ve held and shot are HEAVY which makes it tough for kids and women to shoot. Never messed with the hoyts

At 24.5” and 40+ lbs, I would be looking at something with better performance than the high adjustable bows. There are plenty of bows that he can shoot for a while. Hoyt, PSE , Bowtech and other have adjustable cams. I think a 60# Hoyt will drop to at least 48#. At the end of the day it’s still up to him but there are lots options.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
My boys 14 and is shooting the hoyt klash. and has the 40-50 lb limbs. Its a crazy good bow and he's shooting it really well. I have it jacked right up and maxed out at 52 lbs. He shoots a 335 gr arrow at 220fps with it at 26" draw length, so not bad at all. Going to try for a bear with it this yr. Only draw back is its expensive for a small range in draw weight, but having a younger brother it'll get used more. It'll be good till he's 15 and then by then he'll go into an adults bow between 60- 70 lbs I would assume.

Kai Truax

WKR
Mission switch it’s by Matthews it’s fully adjustable with draw length and poundage it’s a great bow and not pricey