Youth Elk Rifle Help. 260 rem or bigger.

Scoutfarm

FNG
My son drew the Utah Youth Any Bull tag this year. His first elk hunt. Last year I had him shoot a Howa 30-06 in preparation for deer hunting and it was too much for him. Ended up buying a Ruger Compact Hunter in 260 Remington. The 260 is super light weight and easy to handle. He took a deer and has shot several coyotes. One coyote at 350 yards.

The rifle likes DoubleTap ammo in both 127gr Barnes and the 140 Accubond.

Should I let him shoot what he’s comfortable with, or should I install a brake in one of my bigger rifles?

Sounds like the 260 Remington really works for him and he likes the rifle. That's just perfect then. The 260 Remington is a pretty darn efficient cartridge that will kill elk handily. I really like the Accubonds and either the 130 or 140 gr. Accubond in the 260 Remington will work great.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely go with something he is comfortable with and shoots well. Lots of elk are being killed today with a 6.5 CM, and tons of moose sized game have been taken with the 6.5x55 Swede. Both have virtually the same performance as the 260. He will have no issues with elk, and the 260 will work as well as any magnum with the proper bullet.

Either the 127 LRX or 140 Accubond he is currently shooting would be 2 of my top bullet picks. You should be set.

Good luck!

.260 rem with 127 barnes will kill elk just fine.... if he hits it in the right place and at an adequate range. That's your job! If you want him popping elk long range, then brake/silence an adequate long range rifle you may have. Personally prefer more for bull elk, but accuracy trumps energy.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Been using .260 for a really long time. It’s a very effective cartridge on elk. 129 Grain SSTs in the lungs and heart are absolutely lethal.

Wassid82

WKR
what range are you thinking the shot will likely be based on the terrain and cover? A commonly accepted threshold for killing an elk is 1500 ft-lbs. With that in mind here is a energy chart for the 260 cartridge. It sounds like your son is capable of shooting 350ish which would outdo effective range of the caliber according to this chart. Looks like the 260 would be best utilized in a sub 300 range (if you believe, like I do, the assumption of 1500 ftlbs). I would also consider the potential for a large Bull Elk......I have seen some tough old bulls take a good shot and just keep on trucking. its a great question and wonderful predicament for you guys to be in best of luck.

1594358725515.jpeg

OP
Scoutfarm

Scoutfarm

FNG
I was thinking 350 tops. Hopefully we can get closer than that. Fortunately the DoubleTap ammo his rifle likes shows 1557 lbs energy @ 400 with 127gr Barnes and 1600 lbs with the 140 Accubond.

Wrench

WKR
I have killed a double digit pile of elk with my 260ai 's. I have a tiny speed advantage, but have taken them to 3x as far as you're talking about and so far it has been a point and click killer.

When I shoot unsuspecting elk a long ways off they typically just fall over pretty much where they stand.

Every one of mine have been with 140 class bullets. Smk (142), rdf, match burner being the top 3 I've used and they all have performed similarly. Tiny entrance, about 4 inches in a grenade goes off and i find the cup and core under the off side hide missing about 60-70% of its weight.

Imo, the match burner is the best as it has reasonable BC, large hole meplat and jacket seems to be a fuzz tougher but still disrupts like a monster. I have at least 10 to that bullets credit.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
The 260 is plenty, if it goes into the heart/lungs he will have an elk. If he shoots that rifle well I wouldnt change anything.