Youth on Kodiak?

Bosco301

FNG
Curious if anyone has taken a youth hunter along to hunt black tail on kodiak? I was researching taking my son (12) on a boat or lodge based hunt. He is experienced hunter but is still a kid. Has anyone taken a youth hunter to kodiak and would you recommend it? Thanks for the input.

I went DIY drop hunt with my son but waited til he was 16 for that. Boat/lodge based I would be fine with any age.

As with any youth that is still dependent on you the whole dynamic of the hunt will change…. So the bigger question is are you wanting to bring/be responsible for the kid as opposed to if the kid is ready for the hunt.

OP
B

Bosco301

FNG
I went DIY drop hunt with my son but waited til he was 16 for that. Boat/lodge based I would be fine with any age.

As with any youth that is still dependent on you the whole dynamic of the hunt will change…. So the bigger question is are you wanting to bring/be responsible for the kid as opposed to if the kid is ready for the hunt.
thank you for the input

Catchfish

WKR
I have a coworker who’s partner brought his 2 boys a year or so ago. I was wondering how that worked out, he said those boys did great they were like 10 and 12 I think maybe 12 and 14. I know both did their own shooting he said it was fine. But I know these kids do a lot of hunting with their dad all over Alaska, and are born and raised.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
If you are in shape enough to pack out a deer plus all your gear, then you should be fine. Not too hard until you get a deer down away from the boat or camp etc.

erinjake4

FNG
25 yrs ago my dad started taking me and my 2 brothers, once when we turned 12 and a couple other times as teenagers. We rented a cabin each of the times when he took us at 12, but did a tent camp when we were older and could better handle being uncomfortable. Lodge/boat is great for youth - they can get dry, warm, and out of the wind, which a huge for them to enjoy a hunt on Kodiak. Heck, I want to go back and do a boat hunt! As others mentioned, the actual hunt/packing is dependent on the physical capabilities of the person. Keep it realistic for their abilities and you both will have fantastic memories that last a lifetime. Have fun!

OP
B

Bosco301

FNG
25 yrs ago my dad started taking me and my 2 brothers, once when we turned 12 and a couple other times as teenagers. We rented a cabin each of the times when he took us at 12, but did a tent camp when we were older and could better handle being uncomfortable. Lodge/boat is great for youth - they can get dry, warm, and out of the wind, which a huge for them to enjoy a hunt on Kodiak. Heck, I want to go back and do a boat hunt! As others mentioned, the actual hunt/packing is dependent on the physical capabilities of the person. Keep it realistic for their abilities and you both will have fantastic memories that last a lifetime. Have fun!
Thank you for the advice

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
One of my best friends brought his 12 yo son on his last Kodiak deer trip. It was a boat based hunt and the kid ended up killing a couple of great bucks.

20211113_095756.jpg

OP
B

Bosco301

FNG
Has anyone had any experience with an outfitters, guided or diy that they would recommend? Looking at Ninilchik. Thanks for any input.

We did sort of a DIY archery deal few years ago and used Ninilick Charters (I am sure i botched he spelling) We basically stayed on the boat and they were a transport service. They couldnt touch or help with any deer but could help with all the fishing. 4 of us went, 3 archery 1 rifle and had a blast! Basically they skiffed us to the shore and we were on our own until dark radioed and they came and got us. Wit 4 of us we had the smaller boat to ourselves plus the captain and a deckhand great guys good simple food highly recommend. If I hadnt already killed two with a rifle and a book deer with my bow id go back for sure my boys 13 now so maybe we will