Youth Package Rifles

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Looking for a couple youth first Biggame rifles for a couple 10 year olds. Catch is, one is left handed, one right handed. Not married to any caliber in particular, but partial to the 7mm-08. I've already saddled one up with a Steven's 200 in 7mm-08. Had to do significant work to that one to get er to shoot. Turns out, now it dang near the best shooter I have, though ugly as all heck. ..

Not looking to do much to these to see good accuracy out of the box. I'm interested in any first hand accounts of the ruger, savage, mossberg, etc youth compacts in this class.

Thanks for the help friends....

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a savage youth left handed in 6.5 Creedmore that was a package gun and came with a Nikon 3-9 scope it’s a great starter gun for kids. This year I purchased a tikka compact in 308 for my 14 year old and she loves it. Both guns shoot awesome and I have no complaints about either one, paid around $450 for the savage and bought the tikka used for $375.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Savage muddy girl 243 with federal 100 Bluebox. Works like a charm

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Thanks guys. I should mention that the kids will be hunting elk with these right out of the gate, soon as they hit 12....

I bought tikka compact this year in 7-08. Light and pretty accurate rifle print 1 inch with 150gr ELD-x. My 10 and 6 yo shot 2-2.5 MOA offhand at 100 yards. Plus has adjustable length of pull.

tb80

FNG
I’d stick with the 7mm08 for the new rifle. That way you only have to take one type of ammo for them and they can share it if someone forgets their ammo.

Depending on price range, I’d look at the savage axis ii, ruger american, savage lady hunter, weatherby Camilla (sp?), howa, browning micro Midas, Winchester m70 featherweight compact.

I just bought a savage axis ii compact and really like the size but haven’t shot it yet. I have a ruger american predator and really like it for the price. Accurate shooter. Both of those have flimsy stocks and I don’t consider them generational pass down rifles. If price isn’t an issue I’d look at the weatherby, browning or Winchester.

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Since I'm buying two, price is definitely an issue. I own a tikka t3x superlight in 08 and it's great. If I could find a solid deal on a tikka compact I'd be in the game.

These are very much intended to be first rifles and youth/compact models, not necessarily something they will keep forever.

What's your impression of the ruger American vs the axis ii? I'm very interested in both of these.

tb80

FNG
Too early to say since I haven’t shot the axis ii yet. However, my initial impression is I like my ruger american predator better.

That being said, if you are buying two rifles, you can find some pretty good deals on the axis ii with a $75 manufacturer rebate. For example, I think you can get one from buds gun shop for around $275 after rebate.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
My son had a Savage youth package gun and a Ruger American youth model- both in 7-08 and left handed. He shot quite a few caribou with them both.

Come to think of it...I shot a few caribou with them too.

The Savage was picky on what it would shoot, the Ruger was good to go with anything you could scrounge up. The Ruger was significantly lighter and his was in stainless.

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
Look on gunbroker for used tikka compacts I picked up two this year for under $400 a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
Winchester XPR Compact Combo in either 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08 would be an excellent candidate for a right-handed setup. These rifles are incredibly accurate with factory ammunition and are durable and made to take abuse.

One of these would be good to go right out of the box shooting at least a few different ammo options sub-MOA, especially if you went with 6.5 Creedmoor, which has quite a bit larger selection of heavy bullets available from several ammo manufacturers.

CorbLand

WKR
With the holidays coming up most of the stores will be putting some youth/entry level rifles on sale. Keep and eye out for some of those. You can get some decent deals around this time of year.

I will second the Ruger Predator rifles. I dont own one but everyone I talk to really likes them for the price tag they come with. The Winchester XPRs arent bad. I bought a couple at one point for a screaming deal. Sold one to each of my brothers. Mine shoots the worst out of all them but its a solid gun out to 400.

Buy a compact stock for your Tikka for one child to use and a used Tikka or Ruger American for the other.

Ruger is cheap & accurate but rough around the edges.

If you buy another Tikka super light and a compact stock for it, your youngster will be pretty well set for life.

I’ve been singing the praises of the Ruger American for several years. Now that I own an Tikka I see where it’s worth spending the extra money.

Ruger American Predator is a good gun for the price (minus the stock). They are on the heavy side because of the heavy barrel. The barrel is threaded so you have the option to add a brake. I put a Boyd’s at-one stock on mine and a muzzle brake and it’s a very low recoil tack driver in 6.5 CM. Perfect for my kids.