Youth rifle

P-Lar

FNG
I just recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .243 with the intention of making it my almost 10yr old daughter's rifle to hopefully get her first deer either this season or next.

The rifle is full size so I'm looking at replacing the factory stock with the youth Bell & Carlson stock with a 12.5" LOP. I will also be having the barrel threaded for a suppressor (6.5" long DeadAir Nomad-30).

The factory barrel length is 24". When I take it to be threaded I thought I should go ahead and get the barrel length cut down as well to make it more manageable.

What would be the ideal length to cut it to? 20"? 18"? My first thought was 20". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
P-Lar

P-Lar

FNG
Also if anyone has other aftermarket stock recommendations with shorter LOP (B&C is at the top of my price range) please let me know. Thank you

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I just recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .243 with the intention of making it my almost 10yr old daughter's rifle to hopefully get her first deer either this season or next.

The rifle is full size so I'm looking at replacing the factory stock with the youth Bell & Carlson stock with a 12.5" LOP. I will also be having the barrel threaded for a suppressor (6.5" long DeadAir Nomad-30).

The factory barrel length is 24". When I take it to be threaded I thought I should go ahead and get the barrel length cut down as well to make it more manageable.

What would be the ideal length to cut it to? 20"? 18"? My first thought was 20". Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

As short as possible. Even at 16” the 243 will have plenty of MV for use with good bullets to 500’ish yards. The rifle being easy for her to manage and handle competently by herself is way more impartant than a 100 FPS MV.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Unsuppressed, the .243 sweet spot seems to be 22-24”. Suppressed, I’d imagine you’re fine at 16.5-18”. The Nomad is rated for .243 with no minimum barrel length, so you’re good to go whatever you decide.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider

This was asked by another member in the past couple of days regarding the 6.5cm and discussed in this thread link. I would think the advice would apply equally to either cartridge.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider

I might still have a factory youth Vanguard pulloff stock I'd be willing to part with. Let me knew if you're interested.

mjs270

FNG
Great call on going suppressed for a young kid. I have three kids and the first two started out with a .243 unsuppressed and while the kick didn't bother them, the loud bang sure did. Their accuracy was all over the place. My third son really didn't want to shoot anything above a .223 b/c of the loud bang and I started to think he wasn't going to take an interest in the sport b/c of it. Once I got him a suppressor on the .270, he would shoot as many times as I'd have ammo loaded for. Going suppressed is far and away the best way to get young kids interested in the shooting/hunting sport and to shoot their best.

OP
P-Lar

P-Lar

FNG
Excellent information. Thank ya'll very much. I'm currently leaning towards 18" suppressed.

Sled

WKR
My kid is running a Kimber Hunter 6.5 CM suppressed with the 17 inch barrel. I'm not sure the link the poll but it's definitely shorter than any other rifle I've used in the past. I would compare it to a youth rifle.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I started out on a NEF Handi-Rifle in .243. It has a 20" barrel and is unsuppressed. Muzzle blast from that cartridge with such a short barrel is substantial. Good call on suppressing. I'd say 18-20" would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

4GIVON

FNG
350 legend. Soft recoil and very little muzzle blast / report. I mostly bought this one for the kids to take... but here lately... I am finding myself taking it to the woods (when the kids aren't hunting)