Youth sleeping bag

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any decent youth sleeping bags that anyone is using for their kids? Something that is lightweight and warm? I suppose they could use one of my older bags but seems like overkill packing a full size bag.

tdot

WKR
How old (how tall)? My wife bought a couple epic down bags for our little guys, but they'd probably max out for about a 10 year old. I can ask her where she got them.

Depending on the size of the kid, the best one I've found is REI Radiant 20. It's not super light (2 lbs), but it's one of the very very few down sleeping bags out there and packs down to a very compact size, which is rare for a kids bag. We have used one for the last two summer for backpacking trips with my daughter (8) and she loves it and stays warm. She can also pack it herself, which she is quite proud of.

However, the length isn't terribly long. While it works for my daughter, but 10 yr old son doesn't fit. He uses a full size bag of mine.

OP
J

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
How old (how tall)? My wife bought a couple epic down bags for our little guys, but they'd probably max out for about a 10 year old. I can ask her where she got them.

He will be 10 this year.

tdot

WKR
He will be 10 this year.

Unfortunately no name on the bag, apparently came from Etsy, or maybe Kickstarter, she cant recall. But it is basically a small Enlightened Equipment Apex quilt. I wonder if one of the custom quilt makers would make something shorter then the standard 5'6"? I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to ask.

OP
J

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately no name on the bag, apparently came from Etsy, or maybe Kickstarter, she cant recall. But it is basically a small Enlightened Equipment Apex quilt. I wonder if one of the custom quilt makers would make something shorter then the standard 5'6"? I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to ask.

I just looked and enlightened equipment makes youth quilts. This might be a good option. Thanks!

Rei kinder cone worked for my kids. More of a car camping bag. It adjusted for length with a sort of draw string.

Setting aside weight, take a full size bag. Say you need something 48” and it is 72”. Put the bottom 24” in a stuff sack and cinch the draw string tight closing off the last 24”. Shorter bag will heat up faster and stay warmer.

cmahoney

WKR
I have a little red for each of my kids. They are awesome. My son slept in his with a cheap blanket over the top while we were camping in about 15 degrees last month with no issue. He sleeps with it unzipped in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk