Youtube jockeys losing credibility

Yea, I can see it developing. It still seems far off but coming together. Are you in the mountains a lot in the off-season? Just watching and learning elk?
Luckily I live close enough to the areas I hunt whether I draw a tag, or hunt OTC where I can scout on weekends. I’m only 3-3-1/2 hours from southern CO for OTC from my front door, and this year I’m actually working building a highschool in southern Colorado so that’s pretty awesome. And if I draw a NM tag I’ve hunted and called for friends enough that I know those units well. And if I draw a CO tag I am only a couple hours from where I’m working to be able to get some quality scouting time in.

I am by far no expert and have a lot to learn, but getting great advice from guys on this site, as well as AT and the Bowsite, plus the YouTube videos, apps and phone conversations with Paul AKA Elknut1 has brought me a long way since I started in 2008 and I unequivocally have a lot to be thankful for and am greatful to all who have helped me along the way.

the biggest thing is to have as many encounters as we can and put ourselves in as many different situations as we can so we learn to recognize what’s really going on and taking that advice that the great elk killers of our time are giving and applying it accordingly. That’s when we are able to start unlocking the elk code for ourselves. But what a ride and life changing experience elk hunting has been for me! And hopefully will be for you too!

Bhanes

FNG
Luckily I live close enough to the areas I hunt whether I draw a tag, or hunt OTC where I can scout on weekends. I’m only 3-3-1/2 hours from southern CO for OTC from my front door, and this year I’m actually working building a highschool in southern Colorado so that’s pretty awesome. And if I draw a NM tag I’ve hunted and called for friends enough that I know those units well. And if I draw a CO tag I am only a couple hours from where I’m working to be able to get some quality scouting time in.

I am by far no expert and have a lot to learn, but getting great advice from guys on this site, as well as AT and the Bowsite, plus the YouTube videos, apps and phone conversations with Paul AKA Elknut1 has brought me a long way since I started in 2008 and I unequivocally have a lot to be thankful for and am greatful to all who have helped me along the way.

the biggest thing is to have as many encounters as we can and put ourselves in as many different situations as we can so we learn to recognize what’s really going on and taking that advice that the great elk killers of our time are giving and applying it accordingly. That’s when we are able to start unlocking the elk code for ourselves. But what a ride and life changing experience elk hunting has been for me! And hopefully will be for you too!
That’s awesome that you live close to elk. I want to relocate so bad. I would love to go to Montana but cost of living, not so great wages, and lots of travel to work, I struggle with pulling the trigger. I would record my phone calls with elknut1, he’s a celebrity to me.

you know what bugs me about some youtube videos?

people who cannot keep the action in frame, people who don't use tripods filming at distance, and people who carry their video camera around turned on recording but not actually filming, and not editing that stuff out.

some calling is unbearable too, especially when some fired up bull is answering is reaffirming that it's working :LOL:

youtube videos are a very mixed bag.... or like a box of chocolates, but some times it's not chocolate, but cat and dog turds. i don't mind Corey's videos, though i think he's crazy hunting elk like he does. he could be a little more picky on bulls if he wasn't so hell bent on killing them one way and one way only.... with very few variations of the story line he imagines. that's how he likes to do it, who am i to say he should change.

That’s awesome that you live close to elk. I want to relocate so bad. I would love to go to Montana but cost of living, not so great wages, and lots of travel to work, I struggle with pulling the trigger. I would record my phone calls with elknut1, he’s a celebrity to me.
I did not hunt growing up in Ohio. When I moved to NM after highschool to help take care of my gramma, I hated it here. When I started hunting deer at 30 years old, I loved it here! When I started hunting elk at 44, I really love it here! They couldn’t pay me to spend another winter in Ohio lol.

ElkNut1

WKR
Elkbowhuntr, thank you for the kind words sir!

ELKNUT1: Curious - do you ever watch elk hunting videos on Youtube and critique them to yourself ? Say if a bull bugles and the caller responds a certain way - do you think well if he would have done this (or I would have done this) the result would probably be totally different ?

I generally do not watch any of those videos out today unless I'm asked to by other hunters who are curious what went wrong under certain calling situations. Outside of that I stay away from them.

After all the success you have had calling in elk how many bulls still amaze you by their reaction or lack there of - are there still bulls which have baffled you in their response.

Good question! All in all I'm not too surprised these days if I find an un-callable bull especially ones closer to roads who's been pressured multiple times before I came across him. In those cases those bulls are pretty educated & your best shot at him is to play on his weakness if you're lucky, right day right mindset!

You see people on forums say I wish i could spend a day with so in so celebrity - Hahahahah...for me it would be following you around the elk woods just one day !

I appreciate that, thank you!

ElkNut

ElkNut1

WKR
P.S. On the ElkNut Mobile App, you'll see Regathering Mews & 5 different Tactics of its use, it's the same sound that some refer to as Assembly Mews. Watch the video clip on its exact sound as I demonstrate it for those that have the App. Thanks guys!

ElkNut

Bhanes

FNG
I did not hunt growing up in Ohio. When I moved to NM after highschool to help take care of my gramma, I hated it here. When I started hunting deer at 30 years old, I loved it here! When I started hunting elk at 44, I really love it here! They couldn’t pay me to spend another winter in Ohio lol.
Before I started elk hunting, I leased land or hunted public land in Ohio every year! I love Ohio! At least I got a little bit of a head start in the elk department, I went on my first elk hunt when I was 33.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Personally- I appreciate the authentic approach to elk hunting that all of us experience: public land, 12 mile days, bugling and absolute silence, 5 point on the ground (not a 300+ giant)....etc.

If you are referring to CJ, you are just plain out of line. Out of all the guys Ive seen, CJ is one of the most real , humble and genuine guys out there.

If you are talking about guys like Will Primos with private land hunts you might have a point.

So all hunters should only kill the most mature animal on the mountain? I live in an area that 70-80% of people feed their family with game meat. The guy that gets 5 days a year to hunt and fill his freezer and his grandmas and uncles and friends freezers should hold out for a 350 bull. Give me a break.

I used to think Corey was an arrogant prick. In hindsight, I was probably the arrogant prick for even thinking such a thing and I hope he forgives me for ever thinking that.

I heard a podcast Monday morning. The Western Bow Hunter, with a guy named South Cox. Never even heard of him before but since I’m commuting to and from CO every week for work, I listen to hunting podcasts where I lose good classic rock radio. Anyhow episode 46 he had Corey on. Check it out if you get a chance. And if you don’t want to listen to the hole thing, scroll over to around the 1 hour mark where he talks about the charity work they do taking kids who are terminally ill on elk hunts. My guess is not many do things like this and it really touched my heart and soul to know that there are people out there so selfless to help make others dreams come true. It also reminded me that we really are on borrowed time and should be doing what we can to help others and those in need.

So all hunters should only kill the most mature animal on the mountain? I live in an area that 70-80% of people feed their family with game meat. The guy that gets 5 days a year to hunt and fill his freezer and his grandmas and uncles and friends freezers should hold out for a 350 bull. Give me a break.
No, it's okay if you're not selling products and you're not a real hunter. That's what he was saying😂😂😂

scroll over to around the 1 hour mark where he talks about the charity work they do taking kids who are terminally ill on elk hunts.
This here made me a big fan of his. I've seen a couple of his videos where he takes out these kids for a hunt. Some of the stuff he's done for those kids gives me the onion eyes...

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I really wish there was a way to point out someone is doing something illegal without being called a "hater" or a "troll". Videos like this one are great, but they are in Colorado, and aren't wearing a head covering with blaze orange visible from all directions. If you are going to put your work out there for all to see, you should dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s.

Great point about the headcover. Most guys wouldn't even notice that. Rules are the rules!

I heard a podcast Monday morning. The Western Bow Hunter, with a guy named South Cox. Never even heard of him before but since I’m commuting to and from CO every week for work, I listen to hunting podcasts where I lose good classic rock radio. Anyhow episode 46 he had Corey on. Check it out if you get a chance. And if you don’t want to listen to the hole thing, scroll over to around the 1 hour mark where he talks about the charity work they do taking kids who are terminally ill on elk hunts. My guess is not many do things like this and it really touched my heart and soul to know that there are people out there so selfless to help make others dreams come true. It also reminded me that we really are on borrowed time and should be doing what we can to help others and those in need.
Two things for you:
Those hunt of a lifetime deals are amazing! Watch a video or two on them! Awesome stuff. I watched them award that hunt to a kiddo in person two years ago and the kid was present. It’s the kind of thing that makes a grown man tear up.
Check out a vid or two from that guy(south)...ninja with a stick bow!

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider

South makes a great bow and has some pretty good videos too.