You've killed a wolf, now what?

ndbuck09

WKR
I live in Indiana, it is a personal basic principle for me as i take all live seriously, Don't get me wrong.
i hunt and and eat but why kill what you won't eat ? i never could get myself to do it.

I live in CO once upon a time and there was always dangerous games lurking around when my kids where really young. i had to build a fence to keep them all out so my kids could have a safe space to play in. Just my way of approach...yours could be different and its Okay.

It is totally ok, but here's the rub, you live in Indiana and don't have to deal with the impact of wolves and the incredible reproduction rates they have. Hunting doesn't even come close to holding their numbers back. Yet folks that live in Indiana, New Jersey, Tennessee, etc. etc. hold an opinion that there should be wolves (and grizzlies) on the landscape in the West. They buy into the propaganda that they're so endangered and that they should never be hunted/or controlled because no one will eat them. All the while, we watch our hunting areas get completely demolished. ie: I've hunted a drainage since 2015, taken 3 elk in there. This year, I didn't hear one single bugle in it. Wolves moved in for the first time. This is because packs are splitting off due to increasing populations in the larger area.

The rub is that whether you hunt whitetail deer or not, folks such as yourself enter into these discussions here as well as hold the opinion that a wolf shouldn't be shot because it won't be eaten. They were put here in the west against a lot of hunters' wishes. They have to be managed. Hunting hardly does it. And, the human impact on the landscape has altered the ungulate populations winter ranges, migration routes, habitat quality, limited wildfire for 75 years, encroached on habitat, and with more people than ever in the mountains, increased the general stress on these animals, so, as much as people want to believe in "nature's balance" it is completely out of balance at point zero. And it is caused by the humans who want the wolves and those that don't equally.

So I just wanted to lay out a bit of the rationale behind the hunting and shooting of wolves, and really, any predator for you. Hopefully you will consider this in framing your viewpoint around this, as I'm sure you have had discussions with friends/family/acquaintances on the subject.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in Indiana, it is a personal basic principle for me as i take all live seriously, Don't get me wrong.
i hunt and and eat but why kill what you won't eat ? i never could get myself to do it.

I live in CO once upon a time and there was always dangerous games lurking around when my kids where really young. i had to build a fence to keep them all out so my kids could have a safe space to play in. Just my way of approach...yours could be different and its Okay.
Man up then and learn to eat wolf.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I trapped this one a few years back.
Yqc5zBB.jpg

Case skin, its pretty easy. Take it to a quality taxidermist, and have a rug made.
ZFYOeL4.jpg

I really like my wolf rug.

2ski

WKR
Cmon out and hunt them. Tags are almost free. Here's what you can expect;

A critter that never stops moving, leaves nothing to track if it's not snow or soft mud, kills everything in its path and despite what you see on YouTube.....has dramatically changed the west.

Take it how you want, my feelings are stone on this one.

I live here, not read about it on the Internet.
I don't need to "come out and hunt them". I hunt them where I'm at.

Dude. You realize you can see where people's location are in their posts. So if you check out mine, being Bozeman, I've been in the thick of it for longer than you have. So as to your last line, I've lived in it since they were re-introduced. I didn't read about it on the internet up until the last few years when they made their way in the WA.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider

What if what you were killing was eating what you wanted to eat? Say that riddle 100 times

GotDraw?

WKR
+1 on Moyle's work, it is fantastic and fairly priced. They soft-tanned my Yukon moose hide and it's completely supple and lays beautifully flat. I could not be more pleased.
JL

moyle mink and tannery

Heyburn Idaho 866-826-3877

last I heard a coyote was $25
bobcat $29

you would have to check with them on the wolf price

Euro the skull, and tan the hide. I heard a pack the other night howling away.
How many of these wolfs in this thread are harvested in the greater Yellowstone area?