Yukon Mountain Caribou Horn Tips

buzzy

WKR
Looking for info on the horn tips of a Mountain Caribou in late July to early August. I'm heading to the Mackenzie mountains for a Dall sheep and will have a tag for a bou if I see a big one as I already have a nice one on the wall. Getting the horns home in velvet isn't really an option and I know the horn tips can be soft in caribou early on. Does anyone know what the horn tips may be like during this time of year?? Planning on asking the outfitter but wanted to throw it out there. Thanks

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I was fortunate enough to take a nice caribou in the Yukon a few years ago. August 5th I think. A few of the tips were slightly round but for me it was a non issue. Velvet was mostly gone by the time we got back to base camp. You are in for an amazing time no matter what. Good luck

Attachments

• 20170805_123256.jpg
    20170805_123256.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 30

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
depends on the bull's age and development. Expect tips to be round and semi-fragile like green carrots. Enough pressure at the right angle and you could snap a tip off during transport. Velvet hangs to the round tips pretty firmly throughout July.

Bambistew

WKR
I'm not sure about late July, but I just looked through a bunch of pictures I have from the last 10 years sheep hunting. We always run into a few nice caribou bulls in the mountains. Every mature bull I have a picture/video of (25ish bulls) were fully developed with prominent points by August 8-10th. The younger smaller bulls, were still pretty rounded. I've killed half a dozen or so bulls in the Aug 18-22 time frame and they were totally hard horned, and the velvet peeled easily. Some of the tips were a bit porus (dripping blood), but hard.

Not sure if that helps with the late July aspect, but I would imagine that by the first week of August they'd be done growing and are just putting on density.

I would talk with your taxidermist on preservation/care of antlers prior to going.

Good luck on your hunt!

Mature bulls will be pretty well done growing by early August, at least the ones I've seen and killed that time of year. Like Bambi said, younger bulls will have some growing to do yet, but you won't be targeting smaller bulls as I believe they have a point restriction in place to encourage taking of mature animals. Good luck on your hunt and strip the velvet soon after harvesting it if that is your plan.