Zamberlan 1030 Sella NW GTX

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I have the Sella's and Tofane's. What would you like to know?
What are your overall thoughts?

I typically wear Lowa Tibet for heavier boots... Others (kenetrek, scarpa, crispi, USA made Danners) just don't seem to fit at all.

I ordered a pair of tofanes in a 10 and they felt a little big and I didn't like the short height, so I returned them to moosejaw. Looking at ordering the Sellas in a 9.5.

These Norwegian welts seem to be built extremely well (one of the best I've ever put on my foot, better than the lowas, though I've had no complaints with the Tibet. I was a little concerned about the lack of rand around the boot as it's just on the toe.

Anything else you feel is worth pointing out?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I have the Sella's and Tofane's. What would you like to know?
How was the leather in terms of stretching?

Did the gotetex liner hold any better over years of use?

Have you had them resoled?

Do you use aftermarket insoles?

nrh6.7

WKR
What are your overall thoughts?

I typically wear Lowa Tibet for heavier boots... Others (kenetrek, scarpa, crispi, USA made Danners) just don't seem to fit at all.

I ordered a pair of tofanes in a 10 and they felt a little big and I didn't like the short height, so I returned them to moosejaw. Looking at ordering the Sellas in a 9.5.

These Norwegian welts seem to be built extremely well (one of the best I've ever put on my foot, better than the lowas, though I've had no complaints with the Tibet. I was a little concerned about the lack of rand around the boot as it's just on the toe.

Anything else you feel is worth pointing out?

I had the tofanes prior to the sellas and wanted the extra height too, but I pretty much wear boots everyday and decided to keep them. However, the extra height is nice and I like the added support. I won't be taking the tofanes hunting.

Of the boots I own the Zamberlans are by far my favorite. I currently have Scarpa Grand Gru's and their Tech Ascent GTX approach shoe. The GD are great boots also but I can't get my heel all the way back and probably need to try a different insole. The tech ascent are too narrow in the toe area. Otherwise they are great boots.

The fit and finish on the "Icona" family of Zamberlan far exceeds anything else I've seen. They do seem a bit heavier and with the larger sole might seem a bit clunkier but the quality and attention to detail really is amazing. I think the materials contribute to the heft some, as the leather is pretty thick and they are made like tanks.

I also wasn't sure about just having a rand on the toe but with the leather being so thick it still offers a lot of protection. However, I haven't had mine in the mountains yet, so my opinion could change.

Truth be told, I'd like to try on the 980 Outfitters and see how they work.

As far as the Norwegian welted boots go, the main benefit is that you can resole them over and over, keeping you from having to buy new boots every few years. However, if you're the type to try new gear regularly they may not be worth the higher price.

nrh6.7

WKR
Are the welted boots worth the additional coin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan to have them resoled instead of buying new, then I would say definitely. Zamberlan calls the Sella the Ferrari of boots, and I would have to agree with that.

nrh6.7

WKR
How was the leather in terms of stretching?

Did the gotetex liner hold any better over years of use?

Have you had them resoled?

Do you use aftermarket insoles?

The leather only seemed to stretch enough to conform to my feet. I've had both a few years and haven't noticed any significant stretch.

Haven't had any issues with the goretex liner yet.

Still on the original soles on each pair. I haven't had the chance to really abuse them yet, but have put a lot of miles on them and the soles are holding up really well.

So far the original insoles have been really comfortable for my feet, but I have been thinking about trying some different brands to see if I'm missing anything.

nrh6.7

WKR
I took mine to WY last year along with Salomon Quest and Scarpa Grand Dru. I was surprised that I enjoyed the Salomons the most, by far. The Zamberlans and Scarpas didn't give me enough feel and made me seem more unstable. I have two bad knees so knowing/feeling what I'm stepping on is pretty important. I will be saving the Zamberlans for other type hunts and may sell the Scarpas.

I did buy the 960 Guide boot recently and I'm betting they will be just as comfortable as the Solomons but a much more durable boot.

kipper09

WKR
I had the tofane’s. They Are extremely well made. The craftsmanship is second to none. They are relatively stiff. I sold them because they fit MY feet worse than any boot I’ve ever put on. I think I have pretty normal foot, but these things ate my feet alive. Specifically my big toe. I tried everything I could cause I wanted to like them. I tried like 5 insoles and just finally came to realize they don’t work for me. They are very well made and I’m sure they are wonderful boots if they fit you. Just didn’t work for me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I took mine to WY last year along with Salomon Quest and Scarpa Grand Dru. I was surprised that I enjoyed the Salomons the most, by far. The Zamberlans and Scarpas didn't give me enough feel and made me seem more unstable. I have two bad knees so knowing/feeling what I'm stepping on is pretty important. I will be saving the Zamberlans for other type hunts and may sell the Scarpas.

I did buy the 960 Guide boot recently and I'm betting they will be just as comfortable as the Solomons but a much more durable boot.
Those 960s are great boots, they came out with a non gtx version that is leather lined that will be my next pair of boots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Just got my Sellas figured out. Had to exchange sizes as they run a little longer. If I would've listened to their size chart for the ZBPk last I would've probably got it right the first time.

Ferrari of boots is not an overstatement. Wow, Wonderfully made. The leather liner with goretex is Def not common but wow does that leather lining feel good on the feet.

Haven't worn them out of the house but first impression is the most comfortable and well built boot over ever slid over my feet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
Glad you got them figured out. I wear Zamberlans almost every day because they fit me so well. I need to stop buying them...