Zamberlan 1112 Cresta Alta

OzarkOaks

FNG
Hello fellow roksliders,

I am looking at potentially purchasing this boot. I live in Missouri. I currently run the Crispi Colorado for backpacking in the Ozarks. It is a little too stiff a boot for my liking. I am looking to replace it with the Zamberlan 1112 Cresta Alta. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this boot or its little brother 1111 Cresta GTX.

I have tried on the 981 and 966. I've also tried on the 996 and 1007 and 4014 Lynx for comparison. I've tried on all the Kenetreks, and some Lowa's too, so if you can compare it to any of those boots that I have experience wearing that would help a lot.

I'm looking to use this boot in Missouri Ozarks for turkey hunting, dove hunting in Sept, Archery hunting, and warm weather rifle still hunts. I may run a bear hunt in Colorado around 9500 foot in the San Juan's. Kinda wondering if has enough stiffness to sidehill and run as an elk boot too. It is being advertised as an upland bird with enough support for the mountain. True?

I have not been able to find a store that has one available to try on near me.

My Crispi's are for sale in the ads if anyone is interested. Its a solid boot with the right insole.

Last edited:
OP
O

OzarkOaks

FNG
Update. Ordered this boot in directly from Zamberlan. I ordered the 1111 backpacking version. This is a sweet boot with a definite sweet spot that few boot makers are hitting. This boot is comparable to the flex of the Scheen bear tooth, but at a much lighter weight. The 3mm board is awesome. It does not have an aggressive rocker built into the boot. For those that get bruised on the balls of the feet from too stiff a boot with a rocker this is worth looking at. Its a perfect all around boot for mixed terrain. An outstanding boot for those who live in the east but do an occasional western hunt.

I ordered in size 11.5 and 12. I wear 12 Nike. 12 ran true to size. My foot is pretty normal. No bunions. I don't run wide, and I don't run real narrow either. This boot is narrow. They do not offer it in a wide which sucks, because I would buy it. This boot fit my left foot like a glove, but cramped my right foot in the toe box. I returned because of that and got into the 1025 Tofane because it is slightly wider in the toe box. Its a way heavier boot. I would of preferred to stick with the 1111 but just too narrow.

Nonetheless, its one of the best boots on the market. If you have slightly narrow feet give it a try!

I just bought the 1111 Cresta GTX RR. I tried it side by side with the 1110 Baltoro Lite GTX RR for a couple days in my house. Those boots are very similar: same height, almost identical build & feel just with slightly different materials.

The outsoles are different and the Cresta has a slightly stretchy tongue, slightly softer feeling insole, and full grain leather (instead of the Perwanger leather). The build and shape of them was identical otherwise.

I only have about 5 or 6 easy miles on mine so far, but I might be able to answer some questions. My foot runs narrow with a low arch and these are some of the best feeling boots I've ever tried on. They are definitely a little narrower than some of the other big names, and not as stiff. I like the 3mm board vs the 4mm of most of their other models because I'm used to much more flexible trail runners and lower cut (lower end) boots. Breaking in a taller boot is a new experience for me, but the footbed felt great from the start and it seems to completely lock my heel into place.

I just bought the 1111 Cresta GTX RR. I tried it side by side with the 1110 Baltoro Lite GTX RR for a couple days in my house. Those boots are very similar: same height, almost identical build & feel just with slightly different materials.

The outsoles are different and the Cresta has a slightly stretchy tongue, slightly softer feeling insole, and full grain leather (instead of the Perwanger leather). The build and shape of them was identical otherwise.

I only have about 5 or 6 easy miles on mine so far, but I might be able to answer some questions. My foot runs narrow with a low arch and these are some of the best feeling boots I've ever tried on. They are definitely a little narrower than some of the other big names, and not as stiff. I like the 3mm board vs the 4mm of most of their other models because I'm used to much more flexible trail runners and lower cut (lower end) boots. Breaking in a taller boot is a new experience for me, but the footbed felt great from the start and it seems to completely lock my heel into place.
Same stiffness between the two? They hold up well? I like the baltoro but would like a real leather to treat.

Same stiffness between the two? They hold up well? I like the baltoro but would like a real leather to treat.
Same stiffness. The Baltoro is leather, just a little more like a suede. The two boots are incredibly similar.

Didn't get to test out durability. I'm pretty sure the Crestas don't have a goretex liner thru the tongue because they leaked like crazy the first time I hit deep enough water to cover the tongue (this must be how they make the tongue slightly stretchy). The baltoro does appear to have a membrane in the tongue though, so I'd be less worried about them.

I also did end up getting some heel slip in off camber terrain. I changed over to Schnees Timberlines. I like almost everything about the Schnees more than the Zamberlans...shouldn't have waited to long to order some to try out.

Same stiffness. The Baltoro is leather, just a little more like a suede. The two boots are incredibly similar.

Didn't get to test out durability. I'm pretty sure the Crestas don't have a goretex liner thru the tongue because they leaked like crazy the first time I hit deep enough water to cover the tongue (this must be how they make the tongue slightly stretchy). The baltoro does appear to have a membrane in the tongue though, so I'd be less worried about them.

I also did end up getting some heel slip in off camber terrain. I changed over to Schnees Timberlines. I like almost everything about the Schnees more than the Zamberlans...shouldn't have waited to long to order some to try out.
Midway has some cresta altas pretty cheap. Like the baltoros you just can’t treat suede boots well in my experience. I don’t care for gortex. If it’s super wet you’re done anyhow.