Zamberlan 3031 Polar GTX experiences?

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the 3031's as a late season, dead of winter hiking through snow boot, and curious if anyone has ran these and what your experience has been? They're a newer model and I haven't really found any real world feedback yet. Sole stiffness, warmth, comfortability over miles and rugged terrain, and the durability you've experienced so far would all be interesting to hear about!

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
I'm debating on a pair myself for a winter hiking boot. I've tried them on a few times at the store and they don't quite feel stiff enough to be a real mountain hunting boot, and they certainly don't have an aggressive enough sole for it either. They seemed to run a half size big for me too.

But, they seem like they would be a great all around winter hiker. I'm not quite sold on them yet. The current sales might push me over the edge and pull the trigger on them.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the 3031's as a late season, dead of winter hiking through snow boot, and curious if anyone has ran these and what your experience has been? They're a newer model and I haven't really found any real world feedback yet. Sole stiffness, warmth, comfortability over miles and rugged terrain, and the durability you've experienced so far would all be interesting to hear about!
Did you ever end up getting these?

OP
morgan1h

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
No, I didn't. Sorry.
Ended up going with Crispi Wild Rocks in a half size big and have been wearing them with knee high 2mm neoprene wade socks under a heavy merino sock, then gaiters. Been working really well!

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
No, I didn't. Sorry.
Ended up going with Crispi Wild Rocks in a half size big and have been wearing them with knee high 2mm neoprene wade socks under a heavy merino sock, then gaiters. Been working really well!
No, I didn't. Sorry.
Hmmmm never thought of neoprene socks lol and I was a fly fishing guide for many years so shoulda popped up lol. What kind of conditions have you done this in? Would you see this working for week long back country hunts hiking around 5-15 miles a day?

OP
morgan1h

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
My feet sweat a lot, so in the end I've just given up on trying to manage it with socks and insulation levels and went in the other direction with whole vapor barrier concept. This blog article is what got me convinced to try.

I'm pretty much using a vapor barrier of some sort anytime its below 20 degrees these days. I like it in that I just don't have to worry about my activity/sweat output at all, and though my toes still get chilled if I was full sweating then stop moving, they never get to bone cold at the end of any day, which has been a huge improvement for me.

Though it probably isn't a 100% vapor barrier, I find the neopene to be the most comfortable VB type thing I've found so far. Definitely my preference for putting on a lot of miles. These are my favorite, but I've also used thinner .5mm: https://www.nrs.com/nrs-boundary-socks/puec
They definitely develop a funk if you let them. I try to make sure and wash with warm water and make sure they get dry after every use. Dries super fast though.

I've also used these nylon VBs with a very thin liner sock underneath. They work well too, but the seams can rub, so I like the neoprene better for comfort while hiking. But that nylon style makes for a 100% vapor barrier (unlike neoprene). If doing a week long backpacking trip in cold temps and I didn't have a wood stove with me, I'd use the nylon 100% barrier style just to fully keep moisture from working through to my boot over the days and then eventually getting cold at the end of the trip. I think its pretty common for mountaineers and artic explorer types to go this route. And even using VB's over their whole body.
When in a wall tent with good stove for drying out though, neoprene's my first choice.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
My feet sweat a lot, so in the end I've just given up on trying to manage it with socks and insulation levels and went in the other direction with whole vapor barrier concept. This blog article is what got me convinced to try.

I'm pretty much using a vapor barrier of some sort anytime its below 20 degrees these days. I like it in that I just don't have to worry about my activity/sweat output at all, and though my toes still get chilled if I was full sweating then stop moving, they never get to bone cold at the end of any day, which has been a huge improvement for me.

Though it probably isn't a 100% vapor barrier, I find the neopene to be the most comfortable VB type thing I've found so far. Definitely my preference for putting on a lot of miles. These are my favorite, but I've also used thinner .5mm: https://www.nrs.com/nrs-boundary-socks/puec
They definitely develop a funk if you let them. I try to make sure and wash with warm water and make sure they get dry after every use. Dries super fast though.

I've also used these nylon VBs with a very thin liner sock underneath. They work well too, but the seams can rub, so I like the neoprene better for comfort while hiking. But that nylon style makes for a 100% vapor barrier (unlike neoprene). If doing a week long backpacking trip in cold temps and I didn't have a wood stove with me, I'd use the nylon 100% barrier style just to fully keep moisture from working through to my boot over the days and then eventually getting cold at the end of the trip. I think its pretty common for mountaineers and artic explorer types to go this route. And even using VB's over their whole body.
When in a wall tent with good stove for drying out though, neoprene's my first choice.
This is killer info and I truly appreciate it. I think you've changed my mind on the zamberlan s. Prob gonna go my original direction of the kenetrek 1000

L.G.

FNG
I wear these with Lenz heated socks in cold weather. I have "reynauds", i.e. real cold toes and fingers, despite running very hot otherwise. I flip the heat on when posted up to ambush, off when underway.

Works for me. The stiffness and performance of the boot overall is what I need in the country I hunt. They don't sweat out or wet out, unlike the pac boots I've tried.

The built in gaiters are so good I wish they were taller so I could skip the regular gaiters.

Fit is awkward but I'm hesistant to mention fit since, like everyone, I have unique feet. I wear lynx in the early season and Zamberlan in general seems long and pointy whereas my feet are wide as heck all the way back to my super narrow heel. The last is the same as the lynx on paper but those insoles don't match up at all. My feet are US 9 for one, US 9.5 the other. I wear US 8 in the polars, 8.5 in the lynx.