Zamberlan 966 960 980 981

Jakerex

WKR
I asked this on the main forum and got no feedback, figured I’d try here.

I’m entertaining picking up a new pair of boots. There is nowhere near me to try them on, so that scenario is out.

I’ve been running Asolo 520gv’s for about 10 years as my non-insulated boot, danner elk hunter with 400 grams when I’m less mobile, and danner pronghorn 1200 gram for stand sitting.

I was considering the Zamberlan 960 or 980 until I saw the 966 and 981. How much stiffer is the 981 than the 980? For those who have worn the Asolo 520gv, are either of the zamberlan boots stiffer than the Asolo?

I mainly hunt western PA but hope to make trips to the west mountains more often over the oncoming years.

Also, I never wore a 10” boot. I think my highest boot is 8”. I’ve never felt at a disadvantage with an 8” or shorter boot. Is there a big benefit to a 10” 980 / 981 over the 7” 960 / 966? I wear gaiters religiously in wet and snow.

Lastly. For tennis shoes I wear Nike. I’ve tried every other brand, and nothing fits me like a Nike. The danners and asolos fit good too. For those of you that have wore Zamberlan, kenetrek, crispi, etc. which would you say are the closest fit to nike, Asolo, danner?

This is going to be online ordering because there is nowhere around here to try them on at. And I’m lazy.....not gonna Drive a great distance to try on various brands of boots. I’ll just order from somewhere with a good return policy.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you're going through being on the east coast. Crispi's website along with GoHunt & Blackovis have good size info along with YouTube. All have good return policies to make sure you're happy with the fit.

I think the Danners feel about a half size bigger fit than Nike or Crispi & Crispi fits true to size.

IMO no need for a 10" boot for support unless you're doing some serious mountaineering on steep rocky terrain. The gaiters will take care of the snow/ wet conditions.

Never tried the Zamberlan but I switched from Danner Vitals to the Crispi Nevada's & like most things you'll be glad you upgraded.
Good luck

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I understand what you're going through being on the east coast. Crispi's website along with GoHunt & Blackovis have good size info along with YouTube. All have good return policies to make sure you're happy with the fit.

I think the Danners feel about a half size bigger fit than Nike or Crispi & Crispi fits true to size.

IMO no need for a 10" boot for support unless you're doing some serious mountaineering on steep rocky terrain. The gaiters will take care of the snow/ wet conditions.

Never tried the Zamberlan but I switched from Danner Vitals to the Crispi Nevada's & like most things you'll be glad you upgraded.
Good luck

Thanks.

I was also entertaining the crispi Nevada and briksdale. Any reason you went for the Nevada over the Briksdale?

Not Really. I had never tried any of them before but after reading tons of reviews I just thought the Nevada's would be a better fit for me personally.

If the asolo are working for you don't switch.

I have 960s and 980s love them both.
I got the 980s for deep snow shed hunting.
Even with gaiters sometimes snow packs up the gaiters then soaks your socks. So I choose height based on primary use.

Id say they are on the stiff side of medium.
Or the soft side of stiff.
Not stiff enough you should have heel trouble.

Zamberlan vs Nevada well base that on volume.
Zams are low volume aka skinny feet.
I swam in Nevada s when I tried them on. So if you have a meat foot go that way.

The briksdal is stiffer and has a narrower toe box. More on the mountaineering type.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
If the asolo are working for you don't switch.

I have 960s and 980s love them both.
I got the 980s for deep snow shed hunting.
Even with gaiters sometimes snow packs up the gaiters then soaks your socks. So I choose height based on primary use.

Id say they are on the stiff side of medium.
Or the soft side of stiff.
Not stiff enough you should have heel trouble.

Zamberlan vs Nevada well base that on volume.
Zams are low volume aka skinny feet.
I swam in Nevada s when I tried them on. So if you have a meat foot go that way.

The briksdal is stiffer and has a narrower toe box. More on the mountaineering type.

The Asolo’s are nice but they’re getting old and the sole is fading. The sole was never that great for steep up, down, and side hilling in snow, so I figure it’s time to see what’s out there that’s better. Asolo doesn’t make a boot with more of a hunting sole.....softer and more aggressive tread. That I’m aware of, anyway.

Just seeing what my options are.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Zamberlan 981 boots should be here Wednesday for me to try out. I am from Alabama and just had to guess at the size. I wear size 10 in Lowa Ticams so I went with the same size. Hope they work out.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
My Zamberlan 981 boots should be here Wednesday for me to try out. I am from Alabama and just had to guess at the size. I wear size 10 in Lowa Ticams so I went with the same size. Hope they work out.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

1017 are the perfect hunting hunting boot for pa. Insulated but breath very well. I wear them all seasons and they are extremely comfortable and give great support.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
1017 are the perfect hunting hunting boot for pa. Insulated but breath very well. I wear them all seasons and they are extremely comfortable and give great support.

Isn’t the 1017 an insulated boot?

Wapiti1

WKR
I've had the 980's for a few years and have been happy with them. They are good Indiana boots for general use as well as good western hunting boots. Not as stiff as something like the Hanwag Alaska (which I also have), or Kenetrek. Better toe flex, which I like for everything outside of super steep country.

Fit wise, they are long and slender fitting. I have a narrow foot, and they fit me well. Danner fit similar, or the old Hood Winter Light fit similar. I've had Asolo boots, and those were different with different models, so hard to tell, for me. Their Lhasa (current model is Nuptse) fit me great, but Powermatics were wide. The Lhasa's were great fitting and comfy, but holy moly were they slippery when wet. The tread was hard. After about the tenth fall, I decided to give another boot a try.

Jeremy

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I've had the 980's for a few years and have been happy with them. They are good Indiana boots for general use as well as good western hunting boots. Not as stiff as something like the Hanwag Alaska (which I also have), or Kenetrek. Better toe flex, which I like for everything outside of super steep country.

Fit wise, they are long and slender fitting. I have a narrow foot, and they fit me well. Danner fit similar, or the old Hood Winter Light fit similar. I've had Asolo boots, and those were different with different models, so hard to tell, for me. Their Lhasa (current model is Nuptse) fit me great, but Powermatics were wide. The Lhasa's were great fitting and comfy, but holy moly were they slippery when wet. The tread was hard. After about the tenth fall, I decided to give another boot a try.

Jeremy

I feel the same way about my asolo’s. Debating on a resole or a new boot.

Poser

WKR
I have a pair of 960s that have had 2 resoles. I have a narrow foot profile and Zamberlans fit me well in that department. My only issue is that the toe box is a little too low profile vertically as I have huge toes, however, a pair of superfeet carbons with a low profile take care of that issue. Solid boot, but not for wide feet.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I got new pair of 960s this spring.
I put over 600 miles on them so far this year on backcountry trips. Love them.
1 little part of rand separated so far.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the chance to wear the 981’s around the house for a few days and have decided to keep them. I normally wear size 9 1/2 in most boots I can get a wide in. They are just a little long but the width works. With hunting socks on the fit is good just a little tight around the toes. It is a good stiff boot with great support. The stiff soles will be great for climbing screw in steps.

wildcat33

WKR
Check out the Zam Saguaro, its the updated 960, which is/was a fantastic boot. I see absolutely not reason to go with the ultra tall versions. I just wear gaiters if the snow gets that deep. Much less weight for your knees to drag around. Backcountry has the Saguaro and 960 both on sale right now.

980s are my go to boots. Great lateral support. I bought 966 last year and prefer the toe box fit and outsole but they tear my heels up when the 980s never have.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered these to try out, couldn't find them locally for sale anywhere. Multiple sites had them for $225-$250 for the last couple weeks. I tried on the 966 felt great but I'm looking for something cooler and lighter for early season.

5ebc15585fb8e059e4a4a228