Zamberlan 980 vs 981.

Jakerex

WKR
I’m entertaining picking up a new pair of boots. There is nowhere near me to try them on, so that scenario is out.

I’ve been running Asolo 520gv’s for about 10 years as my non-insulated boot, danner elk hunter with 400 grams when I’m less mobile, and danner pronghorn 1200 gram for stand sitting.

I was considering the Zamberlan 980 until I saw the 981. How much stiffer is the 981 than the 980? For those who have worn the Asolo 520gv, are either of the zamberlan boots stiffer than the Asolo?

I mainly hunt western PA but hope to make trips to the west mountains more often over the oncoming years.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I called Zamberlan USA a few months back to ask about the difference between the 980 and 981.

Apparently the only difference is that the 981 has a lot more rubber rand. They probably aren't necessary unless you spend most of your time on scree or lava rock. I spent over a month in the alpine in my 980s last summer and never wished they had more rand.

I had three pairs of Asolo 520 gvs until I switched to Zamberlan Vioz and Zamberlan 980s. The Asolos are excellent boots. However, I do personality believe Zamberlans are a little stiffer and more supportive, and the soles seem to last me twice as long on the Zamberlans as the Asolos.

I love Zamberlans. Unless I'm asleep or in wading boots, I'm wearing 980s or Vioz. I have four pairs of Zamberlan boots in the stable, and whenever I wear our the soles on a pair I send them to Dave Page in Seattle to get resoled for $80.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I have some 980's in the closet, can't don anything with them until the morning of the 25th, when I need to act surprised. I think they check all the boxes of what I need in a boot. I have scar tissue on my shin from a compound fracture that makes me picky on where boots hit. I also had to look at something with good ankle support in the right spots because of a surgically repaired ankle. Both are on the same leg and from the same incident. Hope to give and update sometime early next year.

I just purchased the “sawtooth” from cabelas. Spoke to Zamberlan to get info on the boot. It is a cross between the 980 and the 981. Has the 980 upper and the 981 tread. With a full rand. Gor-Tex insulated waterproof which they said is comparable to 425 thinsulate. Improved sole. Boot feels great and am looking forward to getting some time in them in the field. I’m in weather PA, and was worth the drive to cabelas in WV to try them on to ensure a good fit. Plus they have a good return policy.