Zamberlan boot purchase for Kodiak Blacktail

Hey everyone, I am headed to Kodiak in November of 2023 for a sitka blacktail rut hunt. Gonna be staying on a boat (Homer Ocean Charters) and hunting each day from a new location via boat dropoff. I have a pair of Hanwag Makra Treks that I have used this past season for early sept archery and they were great but would not suitable for the Kodiak hunt. I want to get a pair of boots this year to really break in and am starting the process now. With water and snow a for sure thing, I have been looking at both the Zamberlan 2092 or the Zamberlan 1005.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this hunt specifically regarding these boots one vs the other. This is my first trip to Kodiak ever and want to make sure I am in the field the whole damn time regardless of the water/wet/weather. Any recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

I have hunted Kodiak in November. Good warm waterproof boots are a must. The Schnee’s Granite boots worked flawlessly for me.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted end of October, they need to be waterproof and insulated or you will be miserable. And bring waterproof gaiters too. Walking through the mess that kodiak ground is I stepped up to my knee In a hidden pocket of water. Just have to be careful there.

MattB

WKR
I’ve hunted Kodiak a bunch of times (last 3 w HOC) and have never worn insulated boots. Only one time was it an issue and it was in the 20’s w/ gusts to 60 mph, so not sure how much insulation would have helped. Waterproof is a must.

The walking is rarely easy, so I would want good ankle support and soles with some edges to them. Can’t speak to the specific boots you asked about.

Agree in gaiters.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Zamberlan 1012, which looks like the 1005, but an older version.
I really liked those boots, they fit great and stayed waterproof for 4-5 seasons.
I haven’t been to Kodiak, but live in Alaska and have had some wet seasons hiking on the tundra and in the mountains. Compared to the other set (2092) they won’t be as stiff, but not sure you need that level of sole rigidity. Plus, I prefer leather boots to synthetic ones. Use lots of conditioner/waterproofer and good gaiters and you should be fine.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdP

WKR
I have a pair of the 1005s for sale. They are beautiful boots but made on a wide last that doesn't fit my foot. Unfortunately it took wearing them around outside to find that out. Size 9. Zamberlans run large and say so on their website - I wear a 10 in almost everything else. If interested in my Zs, let me know. You will like the price.

Note: All the insulated Zs are made on their wide last. If you don't have a foot D width or wider, you should probably look at another mfg. I ended up with boots from Crispi.

I am not sure about the specific model you are mentioning but I will say I do like the pair of Zamberlein boots that I do own. I would be very leery of buying insulated boots (just my opinion). For me, my non-insulated boots with good insulated socks have done well for me in almost every condition.
If I ever buy insulated boots it would likely be for ice fishing or still hunting in sub freezing weather.

TurboTec

FNG
I hunted Kodiak in the last week of October 2021 and wore a pair of Hanwag Tatra Top boots with OR Crocodile Gaiters. It was a great combo that proved to be waterproof, comfortable, and durable. Salt water is hard on everything so wax boots accordingly. Get some darn tough socks also and take lueco tape just in case of blisters. The terrain is rough, Salmon berry and alder is thick, hiking is very difficult, but well worth the effort. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I am headed to Kodiak in November of 2023 for a sitka blacktail rut hunt. Gonna be staying on a boat (Homer Ocean Charters) and hunting each day from a new location via boat dropoff. I have a pair of Hanwag Makra Treks that I have used this past season for early sept archery and they were great but would not suitable for the Kodiak hunt. I want to get a pair of boots this year to really break in and am starting the process now. With water and snow a for sure thing, I have been looking at both the Zamberlan 2092 or the Zamberlan 1005.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this hunt specifically regarding these boots one vs the other. This is my first trip to Kodiak ever and want to make sure I am in the field the whole damn time regardless of the water/wet/weather. Any recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
i can't wear a boot that stiff, but between my wife and i, we have 4 pair of zamberlans, and they are all i'll buy moving forward, all excellent boots, and bone dry feet here on the Oregon coast. the Leopards are about as much boot as i ever care to wear, and with good gaiters, i have dry feet no matter how wet it is. i would have got the lynx, but i don't like tall boots... they don't breath as well, and i personally don't like too much ankle support

if you like a stiff boot, both should be great. the outfitters are another one to consider

Verify the waterproofness of your boots before you go; give yourself ample time to break in a new pair in the event that your boots wind up not being waterproof.

Went through this issue 2 weeks before heading to Kodiak this year with my Kenetreks. Was a fun two weeks getting them broken in.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you like the Makra Trek, get a pair of Alverstones if you want something higher. I brought both of those boots to Kodiak last month and they were great on a very cold and snowy November hunt.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of 980 and sierra gtx the sierra are true to size but the 980 was a half size small for me

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I run 2092 summer here in Idaho and 2090 when it chills down. Both great boots but 2092s I had to have punched out as a touch narrow, a first for any of my Zamberlans. Both climb like champs and you will love them in the steep sections. I would recommend the 2090s as insulated and they just fit better, or true to normal for brand out of the box.