Zamberlan guide 960 GT RR

Craig4791

WKR
Anybody have any experience with these or the 4039 Expert Ibex GT RR? Or just the zamberlan fit in general would be helpful.

I am looking at the guides mainly but the expert's look good too just worried the shank may be too stiff on those. I do mostly all high country backpack style hunting so I'm looking for something to meet those needs.

idig4au

WKR
I have a pair of the Ibex's on order will pick them up up this weekend. I'll let you know how they go. I'm actually worried they are not stiff enough for high country hunting in sheep and goat county. I'm hoping they are on par with my Kenetrek Mt. Guides in that regards. The Mt. Guides are not a bad boot, so I don't know why I am trying to re-invent the wheel, but the Zamberlans have me intrigued to say the least. Always looking for the next best thing!

The dealer told me Zamberlans tend to run 1/2 to 1 size larger based on his experience. I ordered 1/2 a size smaller as a starting point and will go from there. If those don't work will re-order accordingly. The dealer is great to work with!

Will report back once I get them. Its hard to find anybody that has any experience with them in general.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Ok cool, ya I'm definitely interested in your thoughts on them.

tater

WKR
I have a pair of Tofane GT RR's that are among my most prized possessions. They are a Norwegian welt, so they can be rebuilt.
Zamberlans run a little narrower in the heel (like most European boots), and the construction is second to none.
Even with a stiffer sole, if they fit they will be a versatile and COMFORTABLE boot.

idig4au

WKR
Craig4791,

I picked up the Zamberlan Ibex boots I had on order from the dealer. These boots do indeed run a full size larger than the Kenetreks. I typically wear a 11 D in most boots and with these Zamberlans a size 10 is perfect. i was mistaken in my initial post and didnt order the 10.5 but actually went a full size smaller. They do run narrow in the heel and the overall construction is excellent. They were comfortable from the moment I put them on. I'm actually pretty excited about this piece of gear and look forward to breaking them in and testing them out this year on my upcoming mountain hunts.

These boots are stiff in the shank! These are dedicated mountaineering boots for technical climbing. There is no doubt about that. I no longer have concerns about this as I previously posted. They are stiffer than my Kenetrek Mt. Guides both in the shank as well as lateral support at the footbed level. These are probably not a general day to day boot for lowland hiking and hunting if you are not accustomed to wearing super stiff boots.

If you have concerns these boots might be too stiff I would definitely look at the Guide model as you indicated. If the level of quality is the same which I am sure it will be, I think you may be happy. You just have to see how they fit your feet.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Thanks idig4au

I'm going to go ahead and order a set of the guide 960's I won't be hunting sheep or goats for a few years likely so the guides should be fine for what I am doing right now.

Thanks for the heads up on sizing as well.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Well I got my Zamberlan Guide 960's in the mail today! Initial thoughts are everything I hoped them to be. The fit is right, I ordered a half size smaller than I usually wear. The shank is way stiffer than any boot I have ever had but not to where I am worried about being too stiff. They are super comfy and look extremely well made as well.

I am going out tomorrow to retrieve a few treestands that I still have hanging a couple miles into the wilderness so I will wear them for that to get some miles on them.

I want to put at least 50 miles on them then I will make a small review here on my thoughts. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357352086.606084.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357352096.229856.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357352107.558465.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357352117.575433.jpg

Tiger Rag

WKR
Wondering if you had a chance to get some miles on them and what your early reviews are at this point?

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
I only have about 25 miles on them so far but here are some initial thoughts.

I ordered them a half size small which felt good initially but now that I have some miles on them in terrain I think I need my normal size. My pinkie toes are getting cramped up and pushed to tightly into the toe of the boot.

So far this is the only issue I am having. They are very well made boots with great ankle support a good stiff shank, they shed water very well and seem very durable, I like them enough that I will likely sell these for a larger size to see if that fixes the problem.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I only have about 25 miles on them so far but here are some initial thoughts.

I ordered them a half size small which felt good initially but now that I have some miles on them in terrain I think I need my normal size. My pinkie toes are getting cramped up and pushed to tightly into the toe of the boot.

So far this is the only issue I am having. They are very well made boots with great ankle support a good stiff shank, they shed water very well and seem very durable, I like them enough that I will likely sell these for a larger size to see if that fixes the problem.

Ok, thanks Craig, I appreciate the follow up review. Kind of what I was thinking - order my size. I got my Kenetrek Mountain Guide's in my size and some say Keneterek runs a little big. I've found them to fit really well.

Huntfun

FNG
just ordered the Guide 960 and the 1030 Sella Norwegian welt models. After reading this thread I went into the REI store near where I work and had them measure my feet and try them on. I come in between 9.5 and 10 with an arch in size 10 so I tried on size 10, or 44H in their sizing, and 45 (I think that is 10.5 us) and 10 fit really well. Depending on the brand, I wear 9.5 or 10 so I think their sizing is spot on. REI dos not carry either of these models so I ordered them from CC Outdoors...signed up for emails and got 20% off both pr. That was a nice bonus! I am really looking forward to getting them. I have been using Hanwag and like them but want to try something else.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I tried on the Sellas at my local Jax Outdoor and they felt amazing. Probably one of the best fitting and well made boots I've ever tried on.

They fit me true to size.

But, man they are expensive.

Rudy

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the Zamberlan Trekker RRs a few years ago on a whim. And they have turned out to be my favorite boots of all time. I am really impressed with Zamberlan's quality, fit, and comfort. If at all possible I will be buying Zamberlan in the future as well if they keep up the amazing products.

Huntfun

FNG
I received the Sella and Guide 960s in size 10 and after putting them on at home and following the instructions on sizing form CC Outdoors, which I admittedly did not read prior to buying (just went off the advice from the local REI saleswoman), there is actually some great info there on sizing. I now feel 10 is too big and will be getting size 9.5, which happens to be the size I wear in most shoes and boots. I do not know where the rumor started that one needs to buy Zamberlans a size up or down…for me they are dead on. If you read the sizing instructions form Zamberlan boots on the CC Outdoor site, they too dispel this rumor and encourage people to buy their standard boot size. I will not be replacing the Sella; they are extremely well made boots but I just do not feel they have the support I want for in in the Mts and I prefer a lower cut upper...like the 960s. I also order the IBEX in 9.5 in place of the sella. I resisted getting them initially because they are insulated but after talking to the folks at CC Outdoor they have what would be equivalent to 200 grams or less. I am hoping this will not be an issue as I prefer un-insulated boots for Elk hunting. The IBEX sure appear to be a sturdy boot. I am debating whether to replace the Guide 960s for a 9.5 or go for a lighter weight alternative for when I am hunting the lower elevations. Will talk to the folks at CC Outdoors today to get their input on whether the 960 fit the bill or I should go with another model.

As I mentioned in another post, you can get 20% off anything on their site if you join them…which is free. They carry the best lineup of Zamberlan I have found along with many other brands. www.ccoutdoorstore.com
Does anyone have experience with any other Zamberlan model boots? Those who have the IBEX, what do you think of them?

Tiger Rag

WKR
just ordered the Guide 960 and the 1030 Sella Norwegian welt models. After reading this thread I went into the REI store near where I work and had them measure my feet and try them on. I come in between 9.5 and 10 with an arch in size 10 so I tried on size 10, or 44H in their sizing, and 45 (I think that is 10.5 us) and 10 fit really well. Depending on the brand, I wear 9.5 or 10 so I think their sizing is spot on. REI dos not carry either of these models so I ordered them from CC Outdoors...signed up for emails and got 20% off both pr. That was a nice bonus! I am really looking forward to getting them. I have been using Hanwag and like them but want to try something else.

Thanks for the information on CC Outdoors. I wasn't aware of them. As a true boot "junkie"....and I mean that....I can admit I have a problem, lol.....I ordered a couple pairs with the 20% off deal. Reid at CC was awesome to offer his advice and spend some time on the phone. I wanted an uninsulated leather outer and leather lined boot so I ordered the Lowa Baffin for that purpose. Older uninsulated boots I have needed replacing so I think this may be a fine replacement. Now, I had that junkie itch over the Expert Ibex the first time I laid eyes on them. I have 3 other boots that fill this niche but I just couldn't help myself. I've never tried a Zamberlan boot and this was just too strong of an urge to pass on. Will offer my initial impressions on them after they arrive.

Huntfun

FNG
Tiger Rag

Reid at CC Outdoor Store spent a lot of time with me too. I go with uninsulated boots because my feet cannot handle them insulated boots. As a result of Reid’s input, I went for the Zamberlan IBEX but have since changed my mind after talking to the people at Zamberlan USA...they too are very helpful. Reid had told me the IBEX is an insulated boot but only equivalent to 200 grams of Thinsulate so I thought that is not that much and I can probably handle it so I ordered them. Well, the people at Zamberlan USA told me the IBEX insulation is equivalent to 450 to 500 gr of thinsulate; that level my feet cannot handle during the fall hunting season. I went back to the Guide 960 in 9.5 which are uninsulated. I am told will be shipped in 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Huntfun

FNG
Got my Guide 960s in 9.5 today and they fit really good so the 10s are going back. Looking forward to givng these a good workout so they are ready for September Elk hunting in the Mts of CO.