Zamberlan IBEX

Tiger Rag

WKR
BTW, here is a picture to show the difference in color (less of a 2 tone effect) vs what is represented on Zamberlan's site.

ZamberlanExpertIbex.jpg

Zamberlan's Picture:

001_4039_expertibex_gtrr_Reg.jpg

Tiger Rag

WKR
Thank you for the updates.

Do you think you would wear them more than the KTreks?

I would buy them if I had multiple 13,000 footers to ascend within driving distance, and use them until the soles came off.

Is your hesitation cost or use or weight? I might hesitate on weight, even for mountaineering. Still awesome looking boots though.

No real hesitation on weight for me personally, I consider it good weight. Sturdy boot = a little more weight in my mind. I have tried to cut a little weight over the years, but still, I'm not really a "gram weinie". I don't cut my toothbrush handle in half, etc. It's a redundancy thing (I want to make sure they'll do more than the K'trek Mountain Guide's I have and also fit better) and use thing....and has been an insulation thing to some degree as well. After putting my hand down in the boot I surmise that there isn't as much insulation as I originally though. Seeing that they flex some, I'm less worried about walking on planks. Since they fit my feet really well and my heel doesn't slip in such a stiff boot, I think they're going to work fine. Now just time to break them in.....go ahead and get some dirt on soles and see what they'll do.

But yes, my hesitation was a use thing mostly. I live near the mountains, just not the Rocky Mountains. Probably a little extreme for the Appalachian's, but when I go to Montana I think they'll pay dividends. I now believe they'll work around here ok, especially in the cooler months. I'll have to wear them around here anyway getting in shape and breaking them in for Western hunts anyway.

Also missed your question on would I wear them more than the Kenetrek's? I was buying them to replace the Kenetreks although I have no real beef with them. It's going to be hard to get rid of the Kenetreks as well since they fit well and really a very nice all around boot. I have a hard time culling.......lol.

Last edited:
OP
H

Huntfun

FNG
Got an email my Guide 960s in 9.5 are in the mail coming directly from Utah. Can't wait to see if they are the proper fit so I can start using whichever pair fit best. I will post more when I get them and have had some time in them.

I did pick up a pr of Kayland Vertigo Lights I picked up on Amazon for $105 shipped. I read Kayland also has a larger toe area. I am wearing them today and they do not seem to have the room Zamberland does but they appear to be OK. They are no where near the auality, fit and feel of a Zamberlan out of the box! I am just wearing them in the office need to get out and hike with them for an hour to really know.

Tiger Rag...I too like the pr you got vs. the ones they show on all the websites. I'd sure like to be able to try a pr of those puppies on. Since Zamberlane USA told me they are insulated to 450 to 500 grams of thinsulate equivalent they are out of the question for me as in Michigan I have no use for them, not even when the temps drop. I am going to shoot Zamberlan USA an email suggesting they come out with an IBEX like boot that has no insulation, just Gore-tex, and a bit less stiff sole. Who knows, if enough people email they may just respond favorably.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
Tiger I think those may be an older model check with who you bought them from. Here are pics of mine that came straight from Zamberlan I don't think there are any major changes but again you may want to double check.

Attachments

• Ibex boot 1.jpg
    Ibex boot 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Ibex Boot.jpg
    Ibex Boot.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 64

Tiger Rag

WKR
Tiger I think those may be an older model check with who you bought them from. Here are pics of mine that came straight from Zamberlan I don't think there are any major changes but again you may want to double check.

Mine came straight from Zamberlan in Utah as well. Looking at your pictures, they appear the same to me. I'll load some more pictures when I get the chance. I just received mine last Saturday so I don't think they are an older model, plus I think 2012 was the first year for the Expert Ibex, however I'm not certain on that.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Got an email my Guide 960s in 9.5 are in the mail coming directly from Utah. Can't wait to see if they are the proper fit so I can start using whichever pair fit best. I will post more when I get them and have had some time in them.

I did pick up a pr of Kayland Vertigo Lights I picked up on Amazon for $105 shipped. I read Kayland also has a larger toe area. I am wearing them today and they do not seem to have the room Zamberland does but they appear to be OK. They are no where near the auality, fit and feel of a Zamberlan out of the box! I am just wearing them in the office need to get out and hike with them for an hour to really know.

Tiger Rag...I too like the pr you got vs. the ones they show on all the websites. I'd sure like to be able to try a pr of those puppies on. Since Zamberlane USA told me they are insulated to 450 to 500 grams of thinsulate equivalent they are out of the question for me as in Michigan I have no use for them, not even when the temps drop. I am going to shoot Zamberlan USA an email suggesting they come out with an IBEX like boot that has no insulation, just Gore-tex, and a bit less stiff sole. Who knows, if enough people email they may just respond favorably.

I understand where you are coming from but I've hiked in my other 400g-ish boots in 70* weather and been fine in them. I do think the Smartwool PHD's do a good job of helping moderate temperature, so that potentially could be part of it. I'd think in MI you'd be good to go with 450*g boots. Heck, I'm in the South. I'll be switching over to my Kaylands shortly though. BTW, I've got Vertigo High's as well and Contact Duals. Very happy with both Kayland boots. Certainly not in Zamberlan's class IMO but for around $100 (if you search hard - just like you did), a great lighter boot for me. I like them much better than the Asolo's I've had in the past. I've got some hard miles on the Vertigo High's and they're holding up great so far in the 2 or 3 years I've had them.

Tiger Rag

WKR

BTW, mine are more chocolate brown than they appear in my pictures. The one looking straight down you can tell it's more brown. Pretty much the same as yours but the soft calf skin at the flex point is more chocolate brown than yours or the Zamberlan pictures. I like yours better since they have dirt on them though - will have dirt on mine soon. I cut the tags Thursday or Friday on them. Still getting the lacing dialed in....about have it like I want them now.

OP
H

Huntfun

FNG
Got my Guide 960 in 9.5 today and they fit great. Sending the 10s back and will be hitting the trails to break them in.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Got my Guide 960 in 9.5 today and they fit great. Sending the 10s back and will be hitting the trails to break them in.

Curious what size you normally wear in most shoes? 10? A buddy of mine ordered the Guides in 10 last week and should have late this week. He normally wears 10 and that's what I suggested based on my experience with the Ibex and what I read on CC Outdoors site for size suggestions on Zamberlan boots. Curious to your experience. I could see if you had normal volume feet (not low volume like mine) that you could size down 1/2 size potentially.

OP
H

Huntfun

FNG
Tiger Rag
I am a 9.5 in just about everything I put on my feet with very few exception. I made the mistake of believing an REI shoe Dept person who was telling me I should go to 10 even through the sizing contraption they had stated I as a 9.5. It is very hard to find a shoe/boot place where I live and work in MI that has someone that really knows what they are talking about. You would think REI would but nope! IMO Zamberlan are dead on for US sizing and everything I read from Zamberlan and those that know them well states that as well. On some of these threads I read where people are suggesting going up or down a half size. Zamberlan defiantly has the room in the toe area I need...I have not found any other high-end brand that matches them. I ordered a pr of Steep in 9.5 (in the brown color) from the Zamberlan US site today, they are 30% off with free shipping...best discount anywhere! I should be good for now on hunting boots. I am really hoping Zamberlan comes out with an IBEX like boot that is either uninsulated or very little insulation and maybe a little less stiff sole...then I will add another pr.

Huntfun, I think that Zamberlan is keen on the US mountaineering and hunting industry, but they iterate shoes from an Alps-centric market. I am with you on the need for an uninsulated shoe missin from their lineup. It might be cumbersome to redesign their boots for warmer weather given their primary audience and testing grounds in Europe.

OP
H

Huntfun

FNG
Got my Zamberlan Steeps yesterday and they too fit and feel great out of the box. Picked them up off the Zamberlan USA store where they just happen to be $100 off. They are now back an the normal retail price...so I guess I got lucky.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Got my Zamberlan Steeps yesterday and they too fit and feel great out of the box. Picked them up off the Zamberlan USA store where they just happen to be $100 off. They are now back an the normal retail price...so I guess I got lucky.

Yeah, I checked a day or two later and they were back to full price. I've got a couple good lighter boots so I wasn't overly motivated. I did order my wife a pair of Lowa Baltoro's from CC (similar to Baffin and Tibet but no toe rand) they had on closeout. They had only a couple sizes left and luckily my wife is tall and has a proportionate foot (nice way of saying she has a big foot). Also a normal foot and heel. They fit her very well and we did about a 2 mile short hike with our boys (5yr old and 8 wk old) for break in. She loved hers.

For me on this short hike with the Ibex's, it started off well but didn't finish great. It was pretty warm, not bad, but mid 70's in the mountains. We stopped for my 5 year old and I got sweaty. I should have tightened the boots but did not. I rubbed a small blister on one of my heels. I've broken one ankle skiing and that foot/ankle is a little larger and the boots fit tighter on that leg. The other one rubbed the blister. Now I'm not giving up, I think they'll be fine. I changed insoles and built them up a little with tape on the bottom side to get a snug fit. They feel like they'll be locked down hard now.

A couple of other observations with use on the Ibex's. I learned more about the speed lace below the captured loops at the hinge point. Of course they lock the lower laces well, but it's just weird with the captured strap loop above it. However, if you unlock that speed lace you can really open them up to aid them drying, just wish they didn't have to webbed loop, just makes lacing difficult to me. Upper speed laces are hinged and the laces get caught in there sometimes when lacing the lower boot which is a little cumbersome. They are heavy duty though. And when you lace through them and they dog down, they more or less create a captured eyelet which is pretty cool. None of these a big things, just different from other boots I've had so I thought I'd mention them.

Synopsis - still really like them, just learning how to best lace them - proper insole/sock, etc. I'll update when I have more observations.