Zamberlan Newbie

So, I’m a midwestern whitetail hunter, prepping for my first western hunt. I just picked up a pair of Zamberlan 980’s. My question is about fit and comfort. I’ve never owned a pair of “mountaineering style” boots. Everything I’ve ever needed was to walk a mile with a 10lb back pack, to go sit in my tree stand.

I’ve read about how comfortable these boots are out of the box, and don’t need extensive break in. So I’ve worn the boots for a few hours in the house, and they haven’t been “comfortable” at all. Sizing seems to be fine, but I’m worried about the width. The outside edge of my foot hurts, just from walking and standing in the house. Truthfully, they’re not comfortable at all.

Is this something that will go away with 50-60 miles of break in, on them? Again, I’m new to this style of boot (and expense). I guess I’m just unsure if I should be returning them and getting something else. Fore reference I attached a pic of the boots I usually wear. Left to right- daily, 99% of outdoor activity, pac boots for bitter cold.

3600075c1322132bab3faaaa39474704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonepoint

FNG
The Zamberlan 980s are known to be more narrow than most similar type boots. They feet my feet perfect, where Kennetreks (and most others) were certainly a little wider. I would probably send them back if its not too late and with a similar type boot that is not known to run as narrow.

Same Black Dawg from Tacoma world?

Yeah I selected then 980 based on having a low volume foot. And I love them.
Is suggest you return and try the Crispi Nevada & or Kenetrek Guide.
Maybe a local shop can measure you?
Are you close to an upcoming sportsman's show you can try stuff on at?

Buy some sock liners and good socks is my advice. The Zamberlan heartbreak is real! Just bought some Crispi’s and have different issues with them. Men who find perfect boots are lotto winners.

Buy some sock liners and good socks is my advice. The Zamberlan heartbreak is real! Just bought some Crispi’s and have different issues with them. Men who find perfect boots are lotto winners.

I've spent like 5k+ in 5 years and gone thru 15 plus pairs to find a boot I dont have to tape my feet to walk a mile.👍

Dinger

WKR
My 980's required zero break in to be comfortable....fit my foot like a glove and I've beaten them up for the last 4 or 5 years. As said above I'd be looking at another brand or at least something based on a different last.

OP
black_dawg
Thanks for all the input guys! Living in Wisconsin, there isn’t a store in 250 miles that carries footwear like this. From being in the Army, I know a boot can feel like garbage till it’s broken in. These are brand new with the tags still on them, and I haven’t worn them out of the house. Return policy says I can exchange for different sizes or styles, but can’t get full refund. Is there any other Zams that are made on a wider last? If not, these may be available for a solid price!

Go to the Zamberlan full website.
And start digging the the Faq, etc.
They have I believe 4 different last sizes.
So you can read the description of the last then filter the boots it shows you buy the last style.
It will be a 4 letter designation.

You must have got them on expert voice if you cant get a refund. Ugg

OP
black_dawg
Go to the Zamberlan full website.
And start digging the the Faq, etc.
They have I believe 4 different last sizes.
So you can read the description of the last then filter the boots it shows you buy the last style.
It will be a 4 letter designation.

You must have got them on expert voice if you cant get a refund. Ugg

That’s exactly where I got them.

Zamberlan’s fitting chart had me ordering size 8.5, I’m glad I completely ignored it and ordered the 10.5 I usually wear!

Sorry man, expect voice is a blessing and a curse.
They changed the deal last year and it was way better.
Maybe call Zam and see if they will work with ya. Not your fault the boot doesn't fit at all.

Fyi Black ovis is one of the best to buy from, depending on what you end up doing.
Use code Rokslide10

GregB

WKR
When you start wearing the stiffer "moutaineering" style boots you really need to be able to try them on and make sure they fit your feet. Boots like Danner it doesn't matter so much because they are softer and more flexible. So I try to stick to sites that have a good return policy. Camofire has had some Zamberlan and Crispi boots over the last couple of weeks. They are cheaper and you only have to pay for shipping to return. I would try to exchange for a wide and see if it is a better fir.