Zamberlan Sawtooth

LBuchser

WKR
I like buying crap I don't need lol. I'm not sure yet
So I'm on the fence, I'm trying to decide between the Sawtooth's and the Wild Rock Plus'. I have a medium width foot. I have a pair of Zamberlan 1101s in 44H with the ZBPK Last that fit very good with my normal hunting socks. I dont want my foot swimming in the ZWL Sawtooth Last, although I wouldnt mind a little extra space for thicker socks or a little room in the toe box. Since you have experience with the Sawtooths now and the Crispi Wild Rock Plus' which would you suggest for a medium Width foot.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm on the fence, I'm trying to decide between the Sawtooth's and the Wild Rock Plus'. I have a medium width foot. I have a pair of Zamberlan 1101s in 44H with the ZBPK Last that fit very good with my normal hunting socks. I dont want my foot swimming in the ZWL Sawtooth Last, although I wouldnt mind a little extra space for thicker socks or a little room in the toe box. Since you have experience with the Sawtooths now and the Crispi Wild Rock Plus' which would you suggest for a medium Width foot.
I difference between them lies in the width of the heel. I think the STs were made with the intent of using a two sock system to fill in the space in the heel. I prefer the fit of the WRs. Im a 1 pair of socks user and the WRs are much tighter in the heel, but still allow plenty of space for toes. I'll still find a use for the STs I think tho

I difference between them lies in the width of the heel. I think the STs were made with the intent of using a two sock system to fill in the space in the heel. I prefer the fit of the WRs. Im a 1 pair of socks user and the WRs are much tighter in the heel, but still allow plenty of space for toes. I'll still find a use for the STs I think tho
Which boot would you say is stiffer between the Sawtooths and the WRs?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I can add a few comments about the Sawtooth vs the Hunter Pro Evo as I have been trying both boots on in my home. I should add the caveat that I'm comparing size US 8.5/42 Sawtooth to a size US 9/43 Hunter pro, so I'll try to normalize my comparisons as best as possible. I have a suspicion that the Sawtooth runs small and the Hunter Pro runs large based on my comparison with my size US 9/42 (wide fit) Lowa Tibet GTX boots which fall right in the middle. I have very wide feet and compared all boots using Superfeet green insoles, thin merino liner socks, and medium volume outer hiking socks.

Sawtooth: Sole width and edges taper towards the toe and the toe has substantial rocker. Lateral stability decreases when rolling this boot forwards onto tippy-toe, but I think this would be a more "nimble" toe for scrambling up hills and rock (i.e., goat/sheep hunting terrain). The sole has little to no perceptible flex underfoot or flexed by hand, yet a natural stride is possible due to the rocker- a very easy walking boot. Sole is standard Vibram "hard-feeling" density and should be long-wearing. Sawtooth upper is made of a relatively soft leather and padding, so ankle support is "medium," similar to my Lowa Tibet 8" tall boots. The forefoot/toe of the boot is constructed from one folded piece of leather, meaning no stiches in the front of the boot (potential leak points). Overall, a nimble and stiff mountain boot that may be preferred by mountain hunters with wide feet.

Hunter Pro GTX: Sole is very flat all the way to the toe with no rounded edges like the Sawtooth. There is some flex under the ball of the foot and light rocker, making this an easy walking boot with lots of lateral support when on tippy-toe. Toe box may be wider at the very tip than on the Sawtooth due to the rounder toe profile. The sole is made of slightly softer vibram rubber than on the Sawtooth or Tibets- perhaps a better durometer for cold conditions, but potentially quick-wearing on rocks. Upper leather is stiff, waxed leather and is more supportive laterally than the Sawtooth (or my Lowa Tibets). Overall, this may be a better boot for those who walk flatter terrain and prefer more ankle support. I also like the smooth leather which I think will be easier to keep waterproofed. Overall, a good pack boot for all hunting conditions with a slightly less nimble feel than the Sawtooth, but more support lateral and potentially toe space.

I went with the Hunter Pros based on fit, but I think I'd have been equally happy in the Sawtooths. I hope to put some serious miles in variable Alaska fall conditions in my Hunter Pros this week.

Attachments

• 20211024_212403.jpg
    20211024_212403.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211024_212450.jpg
    20211024_212450.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211024_212553.jpg
    20211024_212553.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211024_212622.jpg
    20211024_212622.jpg