Zebralight Headlamp? Others?

kipper09

WKR
I’m Pretty confused with all the options on zebra lights website, plus they have no phone number to call. Looking for a solid headlamp to add to the arsenal. Just an all purpose light with some good power. The battery choices I’m not sure about either. I don’t think any of my things I carry normally uses any special batteries except a Leica rangefinder which is a cr2 I believe. Thanks for any direction fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on zebra lights. I bought 2 and they have become my go to. You can find 18650s that will take a charger straight into the battery. A nice options for charging in the field.

The zebras that use 123a might be an option. AA will reduce a lot of brightness and run time. Plus non lithium aas can freeze and leak.

NDGuy

WKR
Zebralight headlamps are nice and bulletproof, their website is terrible but they make a great product! Both those that backpack hunter suggested would work for a good all around light. If you get a Zebralight lamp I would buy batteries right from their site so you get free shipping.

Or you can get a Fenix HL60r, I love it to death and fairly simple to use. Fenix has a number to call, and it comes with a battery.

Regardless of what light you should get a nice charger.

I bought a XTAR SV2 charger, simple and inexpensive and two charging methods. Charger

I bought these extra batteries for my Fenix. Battery

Another zebralight fan here. I use the MK II Floody in neutral white. On sale right now for $59.

http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Mk-II-Floody-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_118.html

It shows out of stock right now, but check on it periodically and it comes back in stock quite often.

Its a great balance between the two that Backpack Hunter linked. The flood models have a wide pattern without much throw, the "standard" models have quite a bit of throw with a little spill to the sides and a hotspot in the middle, and the "floody" models are half way between - decent spill, decent throw, and no hot spot in the middle.

These are the batteries I use.. I just have 2 of them and they last forever so I don't worry too much about charging convenience... although the direct plug-in ones like Desk Jockey referenced would be convenient.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PANASONI...h=item565ce017d4:g:HOsAAOSwiA9ZZaZm:rk:1:pf:0

And hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the 18650 lights, you can use two CR123s in place of them.

NDGuy

WKR
This place is a one stop shop: https://store.rokslide.com/zebralight-c6.aspx

LOVE my zebra light and use it daily this time of year.
Yeah don't order any of those, for one they are on backorder and they are older models priced at retail. You can buy them cheaper on Zebralight's website if you wanted a older model. I would highly recommend if you are going 1 and done to buy any of the newer 600 MK IV series. They are listed on their website for $89 free shipping and make sure to grab a battery or two.

MIKEYB

WKR
I have a Zebra light that i have been more than satisfied with. Not sure which model of headlamp. With the 18650 battery it has last 8+ days for me.

I picked this up around Christmas but do not have any extended use out of it. uses same 18650 battery. I like the ability to charge with the magnetic tail cap usb cord. and that it comes with a belt/pocket clip. you could also use the magnetic tail to mount to metal objects. I can charge this light in my truck rather easily, rather than having to utilize a charger for a battery that must be removed.

https://olightworld.com/olight-h2r

I EDC their s1R Baton II and really like this flashlight. I didn't think I would get so much use from carrying a flashlight everyday.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Zebra lights are bulletproof! If you use there 18650 models you can use one battery for a week easy on the lowest setting. Plus, you have a big light if you need it. Great when looking for blood or when you are hoping to not get cliffed out. But, their website does suck!

rbljack

WKR
looking for a lightweight charging option for a single battery as well. I have the batteries that came with it when I bought mine from zebralight. Looking for the lightest weight option charger than can also double as a power pack for a single 18650 battery. That way, if my dark energy charger is dead, and I absolutely need to charge something like my phone or Inreach, I can use the 18650 battery from my zebralight to charge my other devices. What are yall using?

looking for a lightweight charging option for a single battery as well. I have the batteries that came with it when I bought mine from zebralight. Looking for the lightest weight option charger than can also double as a power pack for a single 18650 battery. That way, if my dark energy charger is dead, and I absolutely need to charge something like my phone or Inreach, I can use the 18650 battery from my zebralight to charge my other devices. What are yall using?

I've been using a Nitecore UM10 for the past several years to charge my batteries and love it, but I don't know if it works to charge something else using the battery.. never tried, but let me check on that tonight and I'll let you know.

Beendare

WKR
The guys here are a good resource. I just went through this exercise detailed in my, "Happy headlamp to me" thread a couple months ago here with multiple Zebra and Fenix options

When my PT cheapie took a dump on a hunt I looked around and found articles like this that were worthless, supposedly the "10 Best" bullshit.
Ten best headlamps-not!

Not one Zebra in that ^ list- really? That one PT unit is one I compared to other quality units and it falls flat!

I'm not sure which my favorite is...it depends on where i'm using it.

Last edited:
Sigh... someday my kids will be old enough that they will no longer ferret out my headlamps and relocate them...

I've been using a Nitecore UM10 for the past several years to charge my batteries and love it, but I don't know if it works to charge something else using the battery.. never tried, but let me check on that tonight and I'll let you know.

I checked my charger tonight and no such luck using it to charge a phone.

Interested to see what chargers have this option..

I've been using a Fenix HL60R for a couple months now. It's just being used for the pre-dawn dog walks around the neighbourhood and local trails but it would be more than adequate for hunting. The 5th brightness level blows away my previous black diamond headlamps, but I don't think that's really comparing apples to apples. I usually keep on level 2 or 3.