Zebralight. Is it worth it??

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I am currently tossing around the idea of picking up a zebra light. I have done a search and read all the threads related to this topic but was looking for a little more.

Here is the deal. I have always used a BD Storm and carry a BD Spot w/o batteries as a backup. I usually put a new set of batteries in the Storm and carry an additional 2 sets for 7 days just to be safe.

I’m looking into the Zebra because I don’t often use the RBG on the Storm. I would like a little better light output if needed. I feel like the advertised run times and light output on the Storm lacks. Not much time with max output and it goes downhill fairly quickly if you need any kind of brightness. I also hate the idea of just tossing batteries. I already do enough of that with my GPS. I like to be environmentally friendly where I can.

So all you guys that use them and love them sell me on one. Or am I better just staying with my Storm.

Thanks

I don’t have any experience with the storm but I have two zebra lights. No issues what so ever with the lights although I did have a turd battery that gave me grief. I like the 18650s with a micro USB jack so I could top them up easily if needed. I also just got a little gadget that allows 18650s to be used as portable chargers for phones and other stuff. If that works, I may dump my portable charger and just carry the equivalent weight (2-3 extra) of 18650s.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
How do you feel the zebra light performs overall? Is the light output sustained well over the life of the battery? Say running it on one of the medium settings does is dim rather quickly? How many batteries do you use in a 7 day hunt? Also what battery’s are you running with the USB port? I looked and the Fenix appear to be to long, do the Nitecore 68mm work?

Brendan

WKR
I think I have 5 of them, yes they're worth it. No dimming that I notice.

(2 AA Red, 1 AA White, 1 18650 White, and 1 18650 flashlight)

Get an AA version, run lithiums, easy to swap batteries and share between other devices.

Last edited:
Absolutely love my zebra, and a bunch of my friends have switched too. 18650 batteries last incredibly long, no dimming, and the zebras allow you to check the battery life (you can see if its 75%+, 50-74%, 25-49%, or under 25%). The 18650s are also super light so not a huge deal if you want to pack and extra one or two.

I use the green panasonic NCR18650b.

LostArra

WKR
Flashlight junky here.
Check out Beendare's evaluation of headlamps on this site.

Zebralights are nice. Fenix are nice. Zebra website and instructions are beyond bad. Just push/hold the button until you figure it out.

Look for the features you need (light color temp, battery type, red light, mega lumens, light weight) then decide. I've had one Zebra lemon (ate batteries and heated up like a toaster). Fenix HL 60 is so bright on high it could be used in a lighthouse but it's relatively heavy.

I've been an AA guy for elk hunting because I can swap batteries like Brendan mentioned. Hunting closer to home the 18650 are convenient to recharge. I like having the option to charge in the light unit.

To your question: Zebras are nice lights and there are a lot of good options out there.

TheCougar

WKR
I have a BD Revolt. There is no comparison. The Zebralight is really powerful, durable, and reliable. Expensive yes, but I use my headlamp a lot and I don’t regret it.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great information fellas.

@Brendan what AA version do you have? I remember reading on here most guys lean toward the 18650 because the run times are significantly longer and that’s what it looks like by the website as well.

Also what beam type do all you guys like best? I was leaning towards the standard 80/12 or should I go with the 90 floody?

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I have a BD Revolt. There is no comparison. The Zebralight is really powerful, durable, and reliable. Expensive yes, but I use my headlamp a lot and I don’t regret it.

Do you experience the noticeable dim as the battery drains with the Zebra like I’m sure do do with the BD?

Also what beam type do all you guys like best? I was leaning towards the standard 80/12 or should I go with the 90 floody?

I love the floody. Perfect mix of throw and spill with no hot spot in the middle.

Also keep in mind that cool white will seem brighter but wash out colors, while neutral white doesnt seem quite as bright but colors stay more true, so its much better if you are using it for blood trailing.

LostArra

WKR
Zebra and other lights will "power down" to a low output when the battery drains to a certain level. This is so you have some warning that the battery is low and it doesn't just quit unexpectedly. My experience is that the Zebra will still work a good while at the low level.

TheCougar

WKR
Do you experience the noticeable dim as the battery drains with the Zebra like I’m sure do do with the BD?

Nope. The Zebralight will restrict itself to the lower power settings when the battery is nearly depleted, but there is no loss of degradation at a particular power level. Put another way, the lumen output at M1 is the same all the way until the headlamp recognizes a low battery and restricts you to the Low settings. I only have experience with the “Spot” beam. Users seem pretty split between spot and floody. Spot has more throw, floody less throw but gives you more peripheral light. I got the High CRI lens, as color differentiation were important to me for blood tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Love ZL! Been using the same one for 5 years. I have ran several others to compare over those five years and always go back. Simple to use and bullet proof.

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for all the great information fellas.

@Brendan what AA version do you have? I remember reading on here most guys lean toward the 18650 because the run times are significantly longer and that’s what it looks like by the website as well.

H502w - AA
H502r - AA

H604w - 18650

SC600w - 18650 Flashlight

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. The Zebralight will restrict itself to the lower power settings when the battery is nearly depleted, but there is no loss of degradation at a particular power level. Put another way, the lumen output at M1 is the same all the way until the headlamp recognizes a low battery and restricts you to the Low settings. I only have experience with the “Spot” beam. Users seem pretty split between spot and floody. Spot has more throw, floody less throw but gives you more peripheral light. I got the High CRI lens, as color differentiation were important to me for blood tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the exact answer I was looking for. If my BD was regulated it would be great. It stinks when you pop in a new set of lithium batteries and after a short time on medium/high the beam/output just disappears. The degradation of light is the worst part. Yeah it runs forever but it sure isn’t bright very long lol.

So I see they have a ton of the H600 series. What are the main differences between say the MK 4 version and regular H600? It looks like the regular 600 line is more in the 120 degree regular flood lamp. Also does the high CRI make that big of a difference when looking for blood? If so I may go that route as this light could likely replace the light I use to track currently.

Thanks

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Zebra and other lights will "power down" to a low output when the battery drains to a certain level. This is so you have some warning that the battery is low and it doesn't just quit unexpectedly. My experience is that the Zebra will still work a good while at the low level.

Thanks much. That’s the biggest issue with my BD. The light just seems to fade to fast for my liking. Say I start using it at half power after so long it’s like no power lol and somehow they still consider that runtime. Runtimes seem to be super misleading on a lot of the outdoor branded lights.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Love ZL! Been using the same one for 5 years. I have ran several others to compare over those five years and always go back. Simple to use and bullet proof.

What bulb color and beam pattern are you running or have found to be your favorite for general hunting use. Hiking, around camp and blood trailing in the event you need it?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What bulb color and beam pattern are you running or have found to be your favorite for general hunting use. Hiking, around camp and blood trailing in the event you need it?

They don't make the model I have anymore, but here is the closest. I much prefer the CR123 headlamps. The low setting will last for days. I also take a 600 series without the headband. It's great for looking for blood, animals or camp.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I run the H604 I think it's called. So far it's been bright, ultra durable, and trouble free....couldn't ask for anything more except an accidental turn on stop feature. Most guys just turn the battery around tho