Zeiss Binos + LRF, or RF binos?

fwafwow

WKR
Great couple of great recent threads on the broad issue of a separate RF vs RF binos (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/rf-vs-rf-binos.148919/ and https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/rf-binos-vs-standard.142446/), but wonder if anyone has any additional input on these specific choices:
  1. Zeiss Victory SF + Leica CRF Rangemaster 2700B; or
  2. RF binos:
    • Victory RF binos; or
    • Leica Geovid HD-B 3000
I'm leaning towards #1 for a few reasons:
  • separate LRF is stealthier for bowhunting
  • separates electronics issues from binos for cold weather risk and inevitable obsolescence
  • read that the warranty on combo is different, but this was years ago
  • could wait on the Leica CRF to get the 2700.com, or wait longer in the hopes that the ballistic software is upgraded
Am I missing anything? I bow and rifle hunt and currently.

JGRaider

WKR
I've been through the same exercise myself, albeit with the 10x50 Swaro SV. Bottom line for me is that I've not been willing to commit to the inferior glass quality (including a Geovid HD) of a bino/rf all in one unit, that I get with the Swaro SV. I'm sure the SF's would fit this example as well.

You also make a good comment with regards to warranty. None of the Swaro or Leica bino/rf units have warranties for very long, and sooner or later the electronics will fail, hopefully later, but they'll still fail. That's why nobody except Vortex and Athlon give lifetimes warranties on bino/rf units. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Cody_W

WKR
I’d go separate binos for the same reasons already mentioned. When you pay for alpha glass you want it to function as so, and there isn’t a RF bino that lives up to that. Plus there are some very neat ballistic rangefinders nowadays that pair nicely with alpha glass (sig kilo 2400abs and the new iteration, gunwerks br2500)

handwerk

WKR
Guess I'm the odd man out, had a couple earlier generations of Geovids, along with Ultravids and El Ranges. After owning 10x42 Swaro SV's , though I loved their view , it was worth it to go back to my Geovids as I like having one tool do two jobs. Maybe it's my 53 year old eyes but I spent a lot of time in the field with all these binos and I'm still quite impressed with my old Geovid HD-Rs, perhaps visually a step behind the SV's , but a very small step that has not held me back in real hunting situations.

The new Victory RF’s are supposedly impressive.

The Geovids, to my eyes, are “good enough” to step in for my EL SV’s since they let you leave a device at home.

That said, I took a different approach with the Xero A1i for archery. Use any bino, leave the RF at home.

Can’t really “go wrong” at this level of glass. Even the non-SV EL RF’s are very good.