Zeiss Conquest 4 or Vortex Viper HS

deanno33

FNG
Hello. Long time reading on Rok Slide but never registered or posted!

I ordered a Tikka Ultralite .308 as an all around rifle. I live and hunt in WI but also plan to find a mule deer hunt out west in the near future. I was looking at two scopes and wondering what others experience are with both. The Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10x44 is around $429 everywhere and seems pretty nice. I also see a new Zeiss Conquest-4 3x12x44 for $479 (which seems like a good price compared to most places). Of the two, any advantages or disadvantages? I don't have the Zeiss local to go look at in person. Cabelas in Green Bay has some Conquests-4 in higher power I can go check out though.

Thank you
dean

I had a PST 2.5x10x44 that was a pretty good scope. Good finish, glass was pretty good, and reliable for the short amount of time I had it. The problem was when I upgraded to a LRTS's the value wasn't there. It sat in the classifieds for a while and I took a lower offer. The Zeiss will hold value better and I like the 3-12 power range a lot after having the Bushnell. If you hunt thick brush the 2.5 great, but I think the Zeiss is the better overall scope.

OP
D

deanno33

FNG
Thanks Rick....appreciate it. I was thinking the same on resale too. The V4 at $479 seems like a great sale price and should hold that value for a while.

Clarence

WKR
I've had that viper model on my whitetail rifle for 5 or 6 years. It has been solid, and it gets beat around pretty good. (Pa run and gun/deer drives). I like that it goes down to 2.5x for quick target acquisition.