Zeiss Conquest Bins - is lens cover problem worth it?

I'm looking at several binoculars and considering the Zeiss Conquest, but understand the lens covers are pretty bad. For those of you that have this bin do you consider this a major or minor issue, and do you consider these bins worth it despite the problem? Thanks in advance for your seasoned advice!

I think my lens covers went in the trash immediately. Never used them and never missed them.

The bigger problem is the eyecups. Those have tendency to gum up with dirt and then crack. After replacing a couple, I started "fixing" them with a hard wrap of electrical tape.

Everything else has been solid mechanically, but given a choice I'd prefer more friction in the focus knob.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used vortex lens covers on mine and they were an improvement. Zeiss also upgraded the eye cups don't know if yellowknife's problem is with the new style or not.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Zeiss also upgraded the eye cups don't know if yellowknife's problem is with the new style or not.

Probably the older style. I've had them for a while and I think last set of (free) replacements I got was 4-5 years ago. When those cracked they got taped.

Not bad binos otherwise. They have some miles on them at this point.

excaliber

WKR
I ordered the Vortex obj lens covers too. They were a huge improvement over the Zeiss factory covers.

I've not had any issues at all with the eye cups. I was sent some of the longer ones but decided not to use them. They are great binoculars.
I used vortex lens covers on mine and they were an improvement. Zeiss also upgraded the eye cups don't know if yellowknife's problem is with the new style or not.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thanks for the replys! Great suggestion about using the Vortex versions, and thanks for the good reviews about the Conquest itself!

Forest

WKR
What are lens covers?? Haha. I left mine in the box and put them in totally enclosed bino harness. Love my conquests, only 2 complaints is focus wheel is too easy to turn for my preference and wish they would make a 12x50. Enjoy them they are great glass for the money!!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The lense covers suck, I keep mine in an AGC harness which protects the lenses anyways so no big deal.

OP
R
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I just purchased the Conquest 8x42 glass DEMO at Red Hawk Rifles at a good price, many thanks to you all for the encouragement. Looking forward to getting them out in the field!