Zeiss Conquest Eyecup issue?

Mosby

WKR
I have been looking at the Zeiss Conquest recently. I like them a lot and considering buying a pair. My only concern is that some were saying their eyecups broke easily. Are people still having problems with the Zeiss Conquest eyecups or have they resolved the problem? I haven't seen recent complaints but thought I would see if anyone has had a recent problem with their binoculars.

I've never had them break, but they are more difficult to move from one position to another, than most. Isn't an issue for me since I just leave them extended. They are durable enough in my experience.

One thing to know about Conquest eyecups is that originally some people were complaining about them not extending far enough to meet the eye relief. Not an issue for people who wear glasses, but just those of us who don't. So Zeiss came up with an "extended" eyepiece that you can have mailed to you. I got mine free of charge with just one simple phone call. They showed up in my mailbox 3 days later. So even if you don't need them, you can ask Zeiss for them to have a spare pair in case anything ever happened to yours.

Tod osier

WKR
I have been looking at the Zeiss Conquest recently. I like them a lot and considering buying a pair. My only concern is that some were saying their eyecups broke easily. Are people still having problems with the Zeiss Conquest eyecups or have they resolved the problem? I haven't seen recent complaints but thought I would see if anyone has had a recent problem with their binoculars.

They are an issue. I sent mine back for an unrelated repair and they sent me a new pair. When I got the new pair the eyepiece was cross threaded and I was able to gently pop it back into the thread/track, but it wasn’t quite right. A couple/few years later that eyepiece has cracked. Out of warranty now, I taped it and it seems ok. I was glad to have them replaced under the no fault in the first place, but should have followed up with them when I got them. The plastic is extremely thin in places.

Having typed all that, they are great glass for the money.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had an issue with an eyecup on the pair I purchased in 2012. When adjusting the eyepiece it would want to un-thread itself. I sent them back and haven’t had an issue since. I also think they are a great piece of glass for the money.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Even though I like them a lot and have had great luck with Zeiss products in the past, I think I might go in a different direction and get the Nikon Monarch HG.

It’s very easy to get new ones in the event they break or if you want the longer ER. Just call Zeiss CS they will ship it out no questions asked.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
It’s very easy to get new ones in the event they break or if you want the longer ER. Just call Zeiss CS they will ship it out no questions asked.
I am buying these as a gift for my son. Sometimes he uses glasses, others contacts, which means he will likely be turning the eyecups in and out frequently. I would feel like an idiot if I he had a problem with them and I knew it could be an issue in advance. If I was buying for me, it wouldn't be as big an issue and I would just deal with it. Aron and Matt Cashell both rated the Nikon's high in the price range and I liked them when I looked at them recently. Nikon also have decent eye relief. I am thinking about picking them up and comparing with my Leica Trinovid's(old version) for several days and decide to keep or return.

Mine broke after a few years, pretty sure I left the eyecups extended when I put them deep into my pack and one got crunched. It still worked it was just annoying, but super easy to get it fixed. I actually have a spare set now. Overall the eyecups on the Zeiss are not good compared to the ones on my Leica duovid and my maven b3. But I liked the optics in the Zeiss better than those two..

As fidgety as the eyecups can be on the Conquests, the shape and size fit my eye sockets as well as anything I've used. It's like my eyes just get "sucked" in.

But the HG is never a mistake. I'm sure your son will be very happy with them.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I ordered the Nikon HG. Hopefully will pick up this week and I plan on spending some time behind them early in the morning and late in evening and compare to my binoculars. I am excited to compare them outside of the store.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've found over time the eye cups bind up a bit presumably from dust/dirt, when that happens they want to unthread themselves vs extent as mentioned above BUT just taking off the eyecup and running under water flushes it out to be smooth again. I've never broke one on my 8x42, I have had the plastic internals crack on my 15x56 which as noted zeiss will send out new ones.

I see this an old thread, but I will leave this here for someone else in the market for looking at some I bought a pair of the 10x42 Conquest about a year ago and have put some use on them. Great glass quality for the price point. I compared them side by side in the field with Razors and SLCs. SLCs beat them optically hands down but for the price I couldn't justify paying almost double the cost for a 10% improvement in performance. As far as the eyecups go, yes that is weak point of the Conquest's in my opinion. They are prone to cracking in the cold, I broke two sets last season. I am up in ND though and when I say cold I mean below zero temps to a max of -20. Can also confirm with what pods8 above states about the grit in the eyecups. Overall I am happy with my purchase and don't have any plans to upgrade in the near future.

Lwing

FNG
Both eye cups broke within probably 60 days, 8 months later still waiting for replacements. Last time I sent zeiss in for warranty it took about 10 months, this is in Canada and regret not spending the extra for something I have faith in

Both eye cups broke within probably 60 days, 8 months later still waiting for replacements. Last time I sent zeiss in for warranty it took about 10 months, this is in Canada and regret not spending the extra for something I have faith in

I just sent my conquests back in May in for eye cup replacements and got them back within 7 days. There was nothing else wrong with my binos except for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk