Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - best all around binocular?

10ringer

WKR
Newtosavage,

Are you still sold on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's? I bought a new pair at a heavily discounted price from SW and am debating whether to keep them or return them and pay significantly more for a pair of Conquest 8x42's. Since I didn't get drawn for anything this year, I'm going to try general wildlife watching, including birds. I figure this will be good practice for when hunting season comes along next year. I've read some of your previous posts on optics and you appear to have tried most of what's available and would appreciate your opinion.

Keep the conquests!! I’ve bought and sold many binos and the 8x32 conquests are the pair I regret selling. Did a scored head to head with them for an entire hunting season vs 8x42 slc, 8.5x42 el, 10x42 Hg, 10x42 kahles helia, 10x50 Vipers, 6.5x32 kowa. They won in almost every category but low light. They gave up 10 minutes on the swaros. Looking back I put too much emphasis on low light and thought they had to go for such. The conquests were the most pleasing to look through of the bunch. And the size and weight had me grabbing them for all occasions outside of hunting. Pair them with top tier 15’s are your done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned the Conquest HD 8x32's for several years and find them exceptional. I would not pay more to get the 8x42's. In my opinion I don't think there is any noticeable loss optically with the 32mm vs 42mm lenses. I find them the perfect compact size, and on many hunts at first and last light I had no problem picking apart the landscape and spotting animals. Good to hear that you found a great deal on them. I'd hang on to them for sure.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Conquest HD 8x32's. I already have a pair of Steiner AF 8x30's that I've used and have good results spotting game. The Conquest's are a step up in optical clarity and brightness. I found a deal I couldn't refuse and will be keeping them based on my brief backyard viewing and positive opinions on this forum. Thank you and have a good one!

Keep the conquests!! I’ve bought and sold many binos and the 8x32 conquests are the pair I regret selling. Did a scored head to head with them for an entire hunting season vs 8x42 slc, 8.5x42 el, 10x42 Hg, 10x42 kahles helia, 10x50 Vipers, 6.5x32 kowa. They won in almost every category but low light. They gave up 10 minutes on the swaros. Looking back I put too much emphasis on low light and thought they had to go for such. The conquests were the most pleasing to look through of the bunch. And the size and weight had me grabbing them for all occasions outside of hunting. Pair them with top tier 15’s are your done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to keep them. I appreciate you sharing the comparison you did with those quality binoculars. I've already used them in my backyard viewing deer and birds nearby and find them clearer and brighter compared to three pairs of auto-focus Steiner binoculars I own. This is the first pair of roof prism binoculars I've ever owned and look forward to using them next hunting season. I just need a small chest harness pack to protect them from the elements. Thank you very much for the reply and have a good one!

Dwest

FNG
I’ve had the Conquest 8x32’s . I liked them . But I now have the Zeiss SFL 8x40 . To me it’s the perfect balance of ergonomics. The weight is the same. So no advantage for the 8x32’s. Plus they are brighter. These binos are seriously bright. And they are definitely a step up in overall performance. Very little edge fall off. It’s not hype . These are amazing optics with a small footprint.

I’ve had the Conquest 8x32’s . I liked them . But I now have the Zeiss SFL 8x40 . To me it’s the perfect balance of ergonomics. The weight is the same. So no advantage for the 8x32’s. Plus they are brighter. These binos are seriously bright. And they are definitely a step up in overall performance. Very little edge fall off. It’s not hype . These are amazing optics with a small footprint.
I briefly looked through a pair of Zeiss SFL 8x40's at a local hawk watch, and they're very nice glass but unfortunately out of my price range.

Not tried that many, but I stopped with the Swaro 8x30 CL as my perfect hunting bino.
I've only had a chance to briefly look through a couple pairs of Swarovskis at a local event and they were the clearest binoculars I've looked through. I imagine the CL's are pretty darn good as well.

Having sampled pretty extensively, the Conquest 8x32 HDs are an absolute gem and certainly punch above their weight. Actually was a bit stunned with the optical quality for the price. In addition, each optical design offers its peak performance in a specific configuration, and to my eyes the 8x32 is the “cherry” of the Conquest HD line. The only reason I don’t own one is I already have an 8x32 FL.

TheGDog

WKR
Not tried that many, but I stopped with the Swaro 8x30 CL as my perfect hunting bino.
Question... do those have the ability to mount an Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter Stud? Do you know? For certain scenarios where I know I'd like to bring 15's for the Tripod... there's been a few times to offset carry weight, that for hand-held checks on stuff, I'd bring 8x28 Diamondback compacts on the harness.

It's rare though now... cause I freakin LOVE my Conquest HD 10x42's I bought used off "the 'Slide" :) So much so that I went found a pair of their 15's same model used as well! But yeah, there 10x's on a Tripod are shockingly good for a long darn ways!

It's only in like Big Desert Hills area usually that'll I'll purposefully bring the 15's. Cause there.. if you get up High? You can see things an outrageous distance away in the 15's since the landscape is more open.

prm

WKR
Question... do those have the ability to mount an Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter Stud? Do you know?

I don’t think so, but not certain. There is a cover on the end of the pivot, but I don’t see how it comes off to look inside.

Having sampled pretty extensively, the Conquest 8x32 HDs are an absolute gem and certainly punch above their weight. Actually was a bit stunned with the optical quality for the price. In addition, each optical design offers its peak performance in a specific configuration, and to my eyes the 8x32 is the “cherry” of the Conquest HD line. The only reason I don’t own one is I already have an 8x32 FL.
That's good to know. I've read several comments on another forum that the Conquest HD 8x32's have a larger "sweet spot" that I take to meaning a larger area that is clearer before it gets fuzzy towards the edge of the field of view. As soon as I find a compact chest harness pack, I'm going to take the 8x32's on a hike and see if I can spot a few bucks with them. I appreciate you sharing your experience with these binoculars. Thank you and have a good one!

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you to all the folks who have contributed reviews and knowledgeable insight regarding optics on these forums. I have hundreds and possibly even thousands of hours behind the same pair of Zeiss Diafun 8x30s over the last 20 years and I've finally talked myself into upgrading what I consider to be the most valuable piece of outdoor equipment I own. Months of online research and visiting the optics counters at local stores has led me to finally pull the trigger on a new pair of Conquest 8x32s. Threads like this one have been incredibly valuable in helping me make a confident decision. I couldn't be more excited and I really do appreciate the information everyone has provided. Thank you.

Last edited:
I just wanted to pop in and say thank you to all the folks who have contributed reviews and knowledgeable insight regarding optics on these forums. I have hundreds and possibly even thousands of hours behind the same pair of Zeiss Diafun 8x30s over the last 20 years and I've finally talked myself into upgrading what I consider to be the most valuable piece of outdoor equipment I own. Months of online research and visiting the optics counters at local stores has led me to finally pulled the trigger on a new pair of Conquest 8x32s. Threads like this one have been incredibly valuable in helping me make a confident decision. I couldn't be more excited and I really do appreciate the information everyone has provided. Thank you.
I have to agree. The experienced members on this forum are a great help when trying to decide on the right gear. Someone said that besides your rifle, bullets, boots, and binoculars are the most important hunting gear. Congratulations on your choice and good luck spotting elk in Colorado!