Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 vs 10x42?

Optikus

FNG
Hello folks, i would like to hear your opinions in choosing between the Conquests with different magnifications, i've tried zeiss conquest HD 8x42 of a friend's and it was really good, i have not tried a 10x42 of the same model and wanted to know your opinions on it and which one would be better..

Oh and i wear glasses 👓

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the 8x42 but recently picked up the 10x42. I need to take off my glasses to use. The eye relief is a little short for me. I also have a lazy eye, so there is some issues with getting the whole viewing area at times. My eyes fault, not the bino.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what you do. I had 8x42s and hunt a lot of large clearcuts and eventually wished I had 10s. I picked up some 10x42 conquests and love them. Over the years I’ve wanted more magnification more often than I’ve wanted more fov. So I vote for 10x.

Birddog1

FNG
I also wear glasses and recently bought the 8x42. I couldn’t get enough eye relief with them so I returned them. I even got the extended eyecups from Zeiss but I still couldn’t make them work.

MJB

WKR
10 but I'm out west...... sometimes I wear 15's but that's for the big mountains that you glass for miles

I have had trouble in the past with other brand's eye cups while wearing glasses, but for me Conquest HD 10x42 work very well with (or without) my glasses.

Maverick1

WKR
Hello folks, i would like to hear your opinions in choosing between the Conquests with different magnifications, i've tried zeiss conquest HD 8x42 of a friend's and it was really good, i have not tried a 10x42 of the same model and wanted to know your opinions on it and which one would be better..

Oh and i wear glasses 👓
Great image quality. Couldn’t get the 8x42’s to work for me because of the kidney bean / blackout effect that not everyone experiences. Called Zeiss and got the free extended eyecups, helped but didn’t make things as perfect as I’d expect/prefer. Do some research, I’d suggest looking through a pair before purchasing. Ended up sending that pair back at the cost of shipping to me. Really wanted to keep them but couldn’t make them work for my eyes. Good luck!

Thanks for your input boys
what is your intended use? one isn't better than the other in general, the glassing you do determines which will be better for you.... if you are glassing off a tripod most of the time, 10x's are going to be better... if you are glassing closer range, or mostly off hand, or using a trekking pole or cam on your bow, the 8x's will likely be better

I hunt open fields and hardwoods here in Tennessee and have been very pleased with the 10x42 Conquest HD. Best value in glass out there. Almost alpha glass at a $1K. I probably won’t jump up to alpha glass because the Conquest HDs are very very good.

Shookj95

FNG
I would choose the 10X. I have not ran into a single situation (open eastern crop feilds/heavy timber) where 10X was too much to get the job done.

OP
O

Optikus

FNG
Ok guys i bought both, and I'm keeping the 8x42, to my eyes they are brighter, comfortably with bigger field of view and better exit pupil for glasses wearers.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys i bought both, and I'm keeping the 8x42, to my eyes they are brighter, comfortably with bigger field of view and better exit pupil for glasses wearers.
This is exactly what I did with Tract Torics. Bought them both and was really suprised at how much more detail I could see with the 8x42's.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’d note 10x. And, if the Conquest don’t work, the Meopta MeoPro Air, Nikon Monarch HG and the Sig Zulu9 9x45 might have better eye cups for some. I haven’t tried the Meopta B1.2, Maven B1 or B6, Vortex UHD or the Leica Trinovid. So, can’t comment.

Good news is, from $800 - $1,200 there are a lot of very good choices. And, I’d choose 10x as I don’t have issues keeping it steady and like the extra magnification over the 8x.

Last edited: