Zeiss Conquest HD vs anything else

Make sure you use them in hunting situations, I loved my 8x32 HD until I used them in the field and the quirks with eyecups and focus became apparent. The glass is excellent.
The quick focus is a feature I really like on the Conquests. Takes a bit of getting used to if you are used to slow focus bins however. I wasn't sure I'd get used to it at first but now I can't stand slower focusing bins. LOL

OP
roberteifert12
Yes, always best to get them in hand and whenever possible, to have them to use for a little while. I also don't do any side-by-side optics comparisons without steady rests as it's too subjective when you're hand holding to decide anything other than ergonomics and fit and possibly brightness. But if you're looking at edge to edge sharpness, field of view and resolving power, you have to have a steady rest and a good high resolution target. (For years I used the air vent on a nearby school about 300 yards from my house, but in the case of the Conquest HD/SLC comparison, the whiskers on the Bobcat were the final vote for me).

I've lost track of how many pairs of bins I bought and sold when I was on my "quest" to find the right binocular for me. SLC's were as much as I was willing to pay for (warranty doesn't cover losing them or them being stolen) and I reached down to the "lowly" Bushnell Legend M's (which my wife loves and still uses) and most of the stuff in between.

Over the course of about 3 years I owned (not looked through but actually owned):

Nikon LX-L (their former top of the lines from the 90's)
Nikon Monarch HG
Nikon Monarch 7
Nikon EDG
Vortex Viper HD's
Vortex Razor HD's
Minox (can't recall the model)
Sightron SII 8x32's
Bushnell Legend (original. still have these in 8x32 for my backyard bird feeder bins)
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD
Bushnell Legend M 8x42 (my wife's bins that she picked over Conquest HD's and SLC's!)
Zeiss Conquest HD in 10x42, 8x42 and 8x32 (8x32 is the best of the lot IMO)
Zeiss 10x40 Classic B*T*
Swaro SLC in both 8x30 and 10x42 (2 pairs)
Swaro Companion in 8x30
Leupold Mojave
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide in 8x42 and 10x42
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Meopta Meostar HD 10x42
Meopta Meostar (non HD) 10x42
Meopta Meopro HD in both 8x42 and 10x42
Leica Trinovid HD (latest) 10x42
Leica Trinovid (older model)
Khales 10x42
Pentax DFC ED 10x42
Maven 8x30
Maven C3 10x42
Zen Ray Prime 10x42

And surely a bunch more that were entirely forgettable.
sidebar: what are your thought on the BX4 8x42 vs 10x42. My only legitimate complaint so far with my 10x42s is the narrow FOV and the struggle to get a very steady picture when hand-holding.

sidebar: what are your thought on the BX4 8x42 vs 10x42. My only legitimate complaint so far with my 10x42s is the narrow FOV and the struggle to get a very steady picture when hand-holding.
I preferred the 10's. The 8's are worse tunnel vision than the 10s (which is bass ackwards) and I didn't see much gain in light gathering.

PHo

WKR
I’ve compared the SLC’s vs the Conquests and the Conquests are great glass. I didn’t use them in the field so can’t speak much to the kidney bean issue. However, the thing that made me favor the SLC’s over the Conquests is chromatic aberration. The SLCs only had a faint hint of it on the edges whereas the Conquest had it in the ENTIRE image. Some people aren’t really bothered by CA, but it’s a no-go for me. Otherwise it would’ve been nice to save some money.

I’ve compared the SLC’s vs the Conquests and the Conquests are great glass. I didn’t use them in the field so can’t speak much to the kidney bean issue. However, the thing that made me favor the SLC’s over the Conquests is chromatic aberration. The SLCs only had a faint hint of it on the edges whereas the Conquest had it in the ENTIRE image. Some people aren’t really bothered by CA, but it’s a no-go for me. Otherwise it would’ve been nice to save some money.
Good point. I don't notice CA at all so it's a non-issue for me.

PHo

WKR
I forgot to add, you may or may not be hindered by chromatic aberration, but whatever the case may be, if you don’t know what it is or how to look for it then forget you ever heard about it. Don’t try to find chromatic aberration because once you see it you won’t be able to un-see it.

OP
roberteifert12
anyone have a comparison of the Conquests with the newer Razor UHDs? seems like a good deal can always be found on vortex haha

JGRaider

WKR
Let's cut through the BS fellas. If the SLC's and Conquest were the exact same price, the SLC's would be the choice 99% of the time, period.

JakeSCH

WKR
I also really like the Maven B series. I would not hesitate to pick up a pair of used Maven B2 or Conquest HD's on here in that $700 range.

This year I bought a pair of EL's (10x, 8.5x), NL's (10x, 12x), and Zeiss RF's (10x). And honestly if I didn't want to jump into that price range, I would be happy still running my Maven's. The only SLC's I have run are the 15x56's (still have them) but they rarely get used now that I have the NL 12x.