Zeiss Conquest V4 Review, By Jim Carr

About to pull the trigger on either the

Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12x56m OR
Steiner H4Xi 3-12x 56 OR

Love the clarity of the Zeiss and Steiner. A couple of days ago, both can be had for $900 on Optics Planet. But today the Steiner is $200 more. Decisions. Decisions.

About to pull the trigger on either the

Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12x56m OR
Steiner H4Xi 3-12x 56 OR

Love the clarity of the Zeiss and Steiner. A couple of days ago, both can be had for $900 on Optics Planet. But today the Steiner is $200 more. Decisions. Decisions.
How often to prices fluctuate on opticsplanet?

Mowy33

FNG
1-1.jpg

Jim was looking for a mid-priced scope that would be capable and reliable for long-range hunting. The specs on the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 looked like it could be a great option so the testing began. Find out how it performed for Jim in his latest review.

Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 Review
HI Jim, Justin -

Given the option would you prefer the V4 4-16 or 6-24? Use case would be western hunting and long range shooting.

Thanks

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
HI Jim, Justin -

Given the option would you prefer the V4 4-16 or 6-24? Use case would be western hunting and long range shooting.

Thanks
I personally like the 4-16 better just because that low end power for close range hunting shots. Ive never had a problem with the 16 power at long range. If i was only shooting longe range or shooting bench rest stuff id go with 24 power. However both are on rifles that i hunt with and it really doesn’t matter which one I pick up they both are good.

patton-7

FNG
1-1.jpg

Jim was looking for a mid-priced scope that would be capable and reliable for long-range hunting. The specs on the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 looked like it could be a great option so the testing began. Find out how it performed for Jim in his latest review.

Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 Review
I have this scope on my 22-250 and I really like it. Probably a little overkill on a 22-250 but it's been nice so far

jstraus34

FNG
Hi Jim, Thanks for the great thorough review. This scope is at the top of my list to replace a Burris scope that is super clear and bright but I question the reliability. It will be going on my Hells Canyon 300 WSM and I'll be using for an upcoming elk hunt as well as annual black bear hunts back east. Its unlikely I would be shooting beyond the 400 yard mark but there is always a chance and that is why I want to be able to dial elevation. I would have already hit the purchase button but came on to Rokslide to get some user perspective first and this is what has given me pause and its hard to tell the one off experiences from the majority opinions. Reading opinions everyone agrees the glass is bright, good light gathering low light conditions, clear edge to edge reticle options is sufficient, zero stop turrets work well, illuminated reticle no complaints. My concern is when I see comments on reliability, RTZ and durability, I'm like do I want to take that chance. In my mind, I'm going back and forth between Nightforce SHV but there is a pretty substantial tradeoff in weight, its more that then the cost. I don't plan on dropping my gun but it can happen. I tend to be pretty gentle on my equipment as losing zero is not an option when the moment of truth shows itself. Am I making too much of this and should I just go for the Zeiss and not worry about it?

Mowy33

FNG
Hi Jim, Thanks for the great thorough review. This scope is at the top of my list to replace a Burris scope that is super clear and bright but I question the reliability. It will be going on my Hells Canyon 300 WSM and I'll be using for an upcoming elk hunt as well as annual black bear hunts back east. Its unlikely I would be shooting beyond the 400 yard mark but there is always a chance and that is why I want to be able to dial elevation. I would have already hit the purchase button but came on to Rokslide to get some user perspective first and this is what has given me pause and its hard to tell the one off experiences from the majority opinions. Reading opinions everyone agrees the glass is bright, good light gathering low light conditions, clear edge to edge reticle options is sufficient, zero stop turrets work well, illuminated reticle no complaints. My concern is when I see comments on reliability, RTZ and durability, I'm like do I want to take that chance. In my mind, I'm going back and forth between Nightforce SHV but there is a pretty substantial tradeoff in weight, its more that then the cost. I don't plan on dropping my gun but it can happen. I tend to be pretty gentle on my equipment as losing zero is not an option when the moment of truth shows itself. Am I making too much of this and should I just go for the Zeiss and not worry about it?
I had the same concern but decided to move forward with it. Mine should show up this week.

Would be interested to hear @Jim Carr response and how the scope is still doing after a ~year of use

norcan

FNG
I have this scope on my 22-250 and I really like it. Probably a little overkill on a 22-250 but it's been nice so far
With that sort of reach combined with what are likely to be small targets, I don’t think anything is overkill when it comes to 22-250 glass.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did exactly the same with mine expected to show up this Thursday.
Still doing good. I put it on my lightweight 338 Lapua a year and a half ago due to it being my lightest long range scope . I use it as my high country rifle . I covered a lot of miles with it and it has held zero the whole time and killed quite a few rocks out to 1700 .