Zeiss Conquests

Well took a chance on the Zeiss 10x42 HDs. Eye relief make them damn near unusable. Was running the Meopta mesostars but they were not good in snow and rain. I have heard you can get the extended eye cups from Zeiss. Anyone had any luck with that?

OP
W
The Mesostar were non HD 12x50 older model. Not sure if the newer HD models do better. Mine basically became unusable in snow and rain last year. Fogged out completely.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The Mesostar were non HD 12x50 older model. Not sure if the newer HD models do better. Mine basically became unusable in snow and rain last year. Fogged out completely.
This is indicative of lost internal seal integrity. They need to be purged and resealed with nitrogen. Moisture inside will grow fungus which will eventually FUBAR them up. Good time to check Meopta service and warranty.

OP
W
Haha. Seems to be pretty common the more I read on it. Zeiss is nice enough to mail me out extended eye cups. Hopefully this works. Mesos are headed back to Cabelas.

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Conquest HD's. Never had any issues with eye relief, but I have normal vision so...

NoWiser

WKR
I had blackout issues with my Conquests. The extended eyecups definitely helped, but they still weren't great. It was the only complaint I had with them.

Well took a chance on the Zeiss 10x42 HDs. Eye relief make them damn near unusable. Was running the Meopta mesostars but they were not good in snow and rain. I have heard you can get the extended eye cups from Zeiss. Anyone had any luck with that?
Yup. Easy peasy. Call Zeiss and they will send you a pair in the mail. Took about 4 days to get mine.

Ha. Maybe it is my 20/15 vision.
The quality of a person's vision has nothing to do with eye relief working/not working on a given pair of bins. It's a pretty simple math problem. Make the eye cups extend to the right spot. The trouble with binoculars is they are trying to serve two customers - eyeglass wearers and non-eyeglass wearers. Can't please them both so they have to err on one side or the other. If it were me, I'd err on the side of eyeglass wearers because anyone with enough disposable income to buy a pair of $1K binocuars is probably of an age where they will be wearing glasses. Plus, non-eyeglass wearers can still use the bins even when the eyecups aren't long enough to cover the eye relief. So I can see why they did that, regardless of how frustrating it is for us non-eyeglass wearers.

The quality of the optics and ergonomics of the Conquest HD make up for that IMO and once you fit them with the extended eyepieces, that problem nearly disappears.

Having said that, I do enjoy the eyecups on my Meoptas as much as any bin I've ever owned.