Zeiss Diascope 85mm

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a 65mm HD Swarovski ATM. After this years hunt, I decided that I had rather lug around the extra weight, and go with a larger scope. I was going to go ahead and just get the ATM 80 HD, but I just discover that I can get a pretty good deal on a Zeiss Diascope 85mm, about $750 less than the ATM 80 HD. Weight is one big negative that I can think of between the two. For you guys that have used both, what are your thoughts when comparing these two scopes?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used both, and I am working on a full write-up on the Diascope.

The short version is the Swaro w/ 20-60 is lighter and has better aberration correction at the edge. The Zeiss has better apparent centerfield resolution, higher magnification, and a wider FOV at 20x.

Both are true super-spotters, and it is hard to go wrong with either.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Bitterroot, what do you think of the both of the Zeiss eyepieces? Also, does it look like Zeiss is going to be releasing a new spotter early in 2013?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know when Zeiss will release their next spotter. I haven't heard any rumors. The big eyepiece (20-75) is superior to the older eyepiece (20-60) in every way (except size/weight).

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Zeiss is apparently brighter, as it should be with its slight (5mm) aperture advantage. It is impressively bright in low light.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I asked about a new scope is because of the $500 rebate, and on birdforum.net someone said that they were discontinuing the Diascope in the UK.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That is news to me, and does imply something is in the works with Zeiss. With Meopta and Swarovski bringing new uuber-spotters to the market, it is only a matter of time before Zeiss and Leica do the same.

Never-the-less, the current Diascope and ATM/ATS spotters are top shelf.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That is exactly what the article will be about.

Here is a hint: See the above points about the Diascope vs. Swaro ATM. ;)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Rod,

I have not, but the spec sheet looks awesome. I would love to get one side by side with the Diascope.

muleman

WKR
Any other Zeiss users out there?

I have used the 85mm Diascope for a few years. It is a great scope and has fantastic light gathering capabilities. I love it, other than the weight of my whole setup. I use a bigger carbon fiber tripod (Manfrotto 190CXPro3) and fluid head (Manfrotto 700RC2) to take advantage of the scopes capabilities. I'm right around eight pounds for scope, tripod, and head. I carry the scope 99% of the time when hunting.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any other Zeiss users out there?

We made the switch this year to the Zeiss 85mm from the Swaro 65 HD. The Swaro worked well, but we felt like we couldn't pass up the opportunity to zoom in closer, even at a weight penalty. We have used the Zeiss this season to look over moose, caribou, Dall sheep, and mountain goats and been very pleased with the clarity of image and ability to light gather even in low light conditions. Being able to put "the Big Eye" on animals from across a drainage or several ridge tops away has saved us miles of hiking and many feet of elevation, as you can get a better sense of whether it's worth your effort. Distortion from heat waves and/or wind are of course more pronounced the more you zoom, but that isn't really avoidable and doesn't negatively reflect on the spotter itself.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the opinions. I am going to take a look for myself this week at a Zeiss and see what I think. Then if I can just sell my Swaro...