Zeiss Question

Mowy33

FNG
Anyone using a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50? Thinking about throwing one of these on an x-bolt. Rokslide has some good reviews but curious if others have had good luck with this particular optic?

Also, understanding this is about $1100 - are there other scopes in that tier of $ (or less) that you find to be better quality than Zeiss?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
My only complaint about the Zeiss (5-25x52) I had was when in extreme cold weather 0 to -20 the power ring got so stiff it would not turn. Sent it in to have a lens repaired (somehow it got a smudge on it) and mentioned the power ring problem. When I got it back they said they repaired it, I put it in the freezer over night and tried to turn the power knob, still stiff so I sold it. A great scope in every other way though.

I have the Zeiss V4 6-24X50 on my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor and my Kimber Mountain Ascent 300 WSM. I have a Leupold VX-5 3-15X44 on Remington 700 VTR 223 and a Leupold VX-6 3-18X50 on my MRC 7mm Mag. I like the Zeiss scopes more than the Leupolds and the Leupolds were more money. My groups shrank when I put the Zeiss scopes on this last year. I like the Leupolds but not as much as the Zeiss.

sambarman

FNG
Only a year late to the conversation ... IMHO the last truly great Zeiss scopes ceased being made when they changed to constantly centred reticles about 1976. Why? Because almost all such scopes achieve that effect by articulating the entire erector set and any variable's power scroll. The FFP models also have the reticle hanging on the front of it. This means that instead of only having a reticle ring weighting 150 grains or less able to move inside (and strictly perpendicular to the barrel), most have an erector tube weighing five or 10 times that much, swivelling in an arc recipricol to that of most rifles under recoil.

The springs used to keep these erector tubes against the turret screws should work OK for a while on small-calibre rifles but put them on anything intended for dangerous game and you may find yourself in trouble far from its fabulous warranty coverage.

John Barsness wrote in Optics for the Hunter at the turn of this century that Zeiss tested each scope for shock 2000 times and that those surviving were then released. His complaint was that this treatment didn't just proof test the scope but went some way to wearing it out, whereby many failed prematurely once sold.

My question would be: why do they feel the need to test every scope like that? Don't they trust the design? With the old reticle-movement scopes, at least the way Nickel made the single-turret one, the reticle could only move up and down in a neat dovetail, held against the elevation screw by a stout spring. Everything wears out eventually but that set-up should last many times longer than a scope with a four-ounce mini-me bouncing around inside.

So, my favorite scopes of all time are the pre-'76 Zeiss (or Hensoldt) Diavari 1.5-6x36. The Diavari D is fancier but may be less secure with the spring having to handle lateral as well as vertical stress. This problem is much greater in image-movement*, of course, because if scopes are badly mounted the spring(s) may get twisted laterally and break when compressed more under recoil.

The old Zeiss line seems to have been limited, at least compared with the Nickel Supras and today's Zeiss catalogue, but I argue in my book (Light at the Start of the Tunnel) that 6x is enough for any big game hunting within sporting distances. Scopes much beyond 6x also bring problems of needy parallax knobs and vulnerable bulk.

Cheers
- 'Sam'

*Scopes with 'constantly centered reticles', one exception being the Pecar Champion, which was reticle-movement but with a restrictive field stop around the reticle. This limited FoV, of course, but most ordinary image-movement scopes also lose FoV from an SFP field stop, used to mask glare from the erector-tube cylinder when the scope is mounted crookedly.

Last edited:
Anyone using a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50? Thinking about throwing one of these on an x-bolt. Rokslide has some good reviews but curious if others have had good luck with this particular optic?

Also, understanding this is about $1100 - are there other scopes in that tier of $ (or less) that you find to be better quality than Zeiss?

Thanks in advance
While I am not running your exact scope, I believe mine is close enough to be helpful. I have a Z4 4-16x44 on a Sako 7mm Rem Mag. Great glass, and I've been able to clearly see game through it in low light, end-of-shooting hours with no problem. I've been a die hard Zeiss guy since I was a teenager, but it sure seems that other brands are producing equal quality glass with a better warranty. I've had a Conquest 3.5-10x50 since I was 14 years old and it's been run through the ringer without ever having a hiccup, but companies like Maven sure seem to be producing fantastic glass at a comparable price point as Zeiss with a no nonsense warrant. I bet you'll be happy with it, but I strongly suggest trying out a Maven. I've switched to their binos and haven't looked back.

I had a v4 fail to hold zero or track, same with a V6 after a year of use.
I'd get a Trijicon Tenmile anyday over a Zeiss

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine has the V4 4-16 on a 300 Win Mag that I did a load development for and It seemed like a great scope. Great Glass, Tracked well and I loved the ZMOA 30 reticle. He's only had it for a year so I don't know how robust it is but I definitely considered picking one up for myself after shooting with it.

Thanks in advance
Also late to the conversation, but I hope I can offer you a helpful objective review. A couple of weekends ago I attended a long range shooting school. Two & a half days of in depth instruction and all day, hands on shooting. Top notch equipment included Benelli Lupo and Remington 700 5R bolt rifles, all 6.5 CM’s & all topped with V4 6-24x50’s (MOA reticle) and Zeiss spotting scopes.

Didn’t keep count but I probably shot at least 100+ rounds at targets ranging out to 1K yards on the 5R rifle I chose as my dedicated rifle for the two shooting days. I spent a good amount of time behind that scope dialing up app calculated MOA adjustments for elevation and making actual conditions windage adjustments. One full day at the range and another full day at various locations on the property simulating “unknown distance” (que somebody’s rangefinder!) long range shots on game in different shooting positions. When you have to dial up a full 31 MOA to “send it”, that’s some serious fun! The V4 6-24x50 performed flawlessly shot after shot, at multiple known & unknown ranged distances, and every return to the “zero stop” was spot on. Our practice was to return to zero before making new elevation/distance changes, even though it would’ve be quicker to just make the adjustment from the last indexed value. The scope zero’d true every time.

Not related directly, but last fall I bought a V4 4-16x44 to put on a personal rifle long before planning to go to the school. I know have the knowledge & confidence to “run” that scope for long range as intended.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mowy33

FNG
Also late to the conversation, but I hope I can offer you a helpful objective review. A couple of weekends ago I attended a long range shooting school. Two & a half days of in depth instruction and all day, hands on shooting. Top notch equipment included Benelli Lupo and Remington 700 5R bolt rifles, all 6.5 CM’s & all topped with V4 6-24x50’s (MOA reticle) and Zeiss spotting scopes.

Didn’t keep count but I probably shot at least 100+ rounds at targets ranging out to 1K yards on the 5R rifle I chose as my dedicated rifle for the two shooting days. I spent a good amount of time behind that scope dialing up app calculated MOA adjustments for elevation and making actual conditions windage adjustments. One full day at the range and another full day at various locations on the property simulating “unknown distance” (que somebody’s rangefinder!) long range shots on game in different shooting positions. When you have to dial up a full 31 MOA to “send it”, that’s some serious fun! The V4 6-24x50 performed flawlessly shot after shot, at multiple known & unknown ranged distances, and every return to the “zero stop” was spot on. Our practice was to return to zero before making new elevation/distance changes, even though it would’ve be quicker to just make the adjustment from the last indexed value. The scope zero’d true every time.

Not related directly, but last fall I bought a V4 4-16x44 to put on a personal rifle long before planning to go to the school. I know have the knowledge & confidence to “run” that scope for long range as intended.
After spending a weekend with the 6-24, which do you prefer between the 4-16 and 6-24?

After spending a weekend with the 6-24, which do you prefer between the 4-16 and 6-24?
My 4-16 is on an older 25wssm which is fine for deer hunting here in GA. It has capped windage adjustment, not a MOA windage turret. Plenty of scope for typical short range deer hunting here in GA. No need to change it out/updgrade it.

However, I have a semi custom 6.5-284 on backorder and don’t know when it’ll be delivered. Hopefully by this summer. Long range capable caliber. I’ll chose to put the V4 6-24x50 (has MOA windage turret) on that rifle when the time comes….., unless I lose all self control, go crazy, bust the bank, & go Zeiss FFP S5. (Unlikely, but one can dream.) There was an S5 on a 6.5CM belonging someone else that was with us. I shot it a few rounds. An incredible next level optic, but with a next level price tag too.

Edit: The short, unequivocal answer is 6-24x50. 👍

I know this is an old thread but, I now have 4 Zeiss Conquest V-4 6-24X50's. I have one on my Remington VTR 223, my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor, my Kimber Mountain Ascent 300 WSM and last but not least my Browning BAR 300 WSM. I have been buying them at Redhawk Rifles for a little over 800 bucks each as demo's. Great deal on great scopes.